The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Gwendoline, age 27, type 1 diabetes for 2 years. Sometimes I have a week or more when my sugar level just won't come down, no matter how much insulin I take. I'm eating a healthy diet and don't have an infection. Why does this happen and what can I do?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Gwen, welcome aboard.

when you say youre eating a "healthy diet", are you sure its healthy for diabetics?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: Gwen!

As Eric already alluded to, diet is likely the key here. If you're having too many carbohydrates, that may be the problem.

As an adult who developed Type 1 there's a possibility you're also insulin-resistant. More and more Type 1's are also being diagnosed with insulin-resistance. More carbohydrate in the diet means using more insulin, but if you're not sensitive to it, it can't work properly and you end up with BOTH high blood glucose and high insulin levels.

It's worth cutting back on your carbohydrate intake to see if it helps.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Gwen. These guys are telling it like it is . . . even for a type 1 like yourself, you may have to trim your carbohydrate intake & speak with your doc about insulin resistance. There are type 2 meds specifically for insulin resistance, and many type 1s are taking them if they develop it. Metformin is the name of the best one.

Then if you're eating a lot of products made with grain (corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc.), like bread, pasta, cereal, etc., it may also be why you can't get hold of your blood sugars for days at a time.

Keep us posted - we have many members who are type 1 who may have very good guidance for you.

Take care and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome aboard, Gwen! Do you use carb counting to determine your insulin dosages before meals? Do you know your insulin sensitivity level for correcting highs? When highs develop and do not come down, the lack of carb counting with the proper insulin:carb ratios, and inappropriate sensitivity levels are frequently the cause. The book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh es a good guide to all this. John also wrote "Pumping Insulin" if you use an insulin pump.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Then if you're eating a lot of products made with grain (corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc.), like bread, pasta, cereal, etc., it may also be why you can't get hold of your blood sugars for days at a time.
@Shanny Thanks for these details, Been having the problems too even with meds, due to these kind of food intakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts