The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here. Actually this is my first post. I am getting very frustrated and just to get some feedback from other people with Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, 14 years ago. My Ha1c has been steadily rising every year with my last lab work performed yesterday showing my Ha1c is 12.1. It had been hovering in the 10.5 - 11.5 range for the past several years.

I was just wondering how long can a Doctor withhold medication for Diabetes treatment?

·
Registered
298 Posts
MsTCB said:
Hello, I'm new here. Actually this is my first post. I am getting very frustrated and just to get some feedback from other people with Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, 14 years ago. My Ha1c has been steadily rising every year with my last lab work performed yesterday showing my Ha1c is 12.1. It had been hovering in the 10.5 - 11.5 range for the past several years.

I was just wondering how long can a Doctor withhold medication for Diabetes treatment?
I would be looking for a new doctor if possible. Those numbers are doing damage to your body.

Reactions: foxl

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
WHAT? Welcome to the forum! WHAT?

Are you serious? Your doc won't give you any meds with that A1C? What sort of doctor is this? What is the stated rationale?

The solution is easy: change docs. Now. Seriously. That's stunning.

The first thing I would do tomorrow morning is make an appt with another doc. The next thing I would do is fix myself some eggs and bacon/sausage - that's it. I would not have juice or cereal or bread or grits. And I would cut carbs as completely as possible until I got in to see a new doc.

If I didn't already have a meter, I'd get in my car and be at Walmart by 9:00 AM buying a ReliOn meter and some strips (the meter costs $9 - strips cost 50-cents each - $10 for a pack of 20 - no need for lancets yet, they'll come in the box with your meter.) I would take my blood sugar before and after meals and watch my numbers drop as I cut out carbs.

My reading material would be Blood Sugar 101, and I'd ask questions right here in this forum.

That's what I'd do :))

Welcome to the forum - so very glad you're here.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

And ... what Moon said.

(If I add my opinion on your doc's mode of care, I'll be banned from all cyberspace.)

You've come to the right place! Ask away, and do plenty of searches.

Looking forward to getting to know you better! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have to agree with our fellow PWDs (persons with diabetes) and say find a new doc as quickly as possible, and until you can get in, slash the carbs from your diet as completely as possible. He's getting paid but he isn't treating you - what's up with that?

Moon has sketched out a darn good plan . . . that's what I'd do too! :D :D :D

While you're looking for your new doc, remember to interview the candidates too . . . tell them why you left the old doc & what you expect of them. They don't get to be god, they need to be accountable.

I'm glad you're here - I wish you good luck in fixing this outrageous problem, and success with low-carbing. It's a wonderful way-of-eating.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. Re: What is my Doc's rationale. Every time I have asked for meds (which has been often), he has told me things like: "If you get rid of your belly fat, then you will not have Diabetes. [Pointing to my stomach] "This is where Diabetes lives."
"I believe you can lose the weight and if I give you medications, then I am sending you the opposite message." "The meds will only make you gain even more weight and keep you Diabetic." "The meds also will just speed up the burning out of your Pancreas which will lead to being on Insulin which will make you gain even more weight."
These are just a few of his comments to me.

So, I usually leave his office feeling like a complete failure despite my relentless efforts to lose weight. :(

I'm afraid that the complications have already started. I have an ulcer on my right ankle that just won't heal. I've been trying to get skin to grow for the past 3 months. I am seeing a wound doctor this Thursday for that. I have also lost most of the feeling in my lower legs just above my ankles. So many times the white part of my eyes bulge out and they look horrible.

He has had me try many things over the years: Cinnamon capsules, Krill Oil, etc. But, they don't bring down my numbers.

I do have a home monitor and have used it for the past 14 years to record my numbers - for what it's worth.

I feel like he's just been monitoring my degeneration. When I got my Ha1c numbers today, I just wondered how long Doctor's let people go on like this before they prescribe meds.

I appreciate all your suggestions and will return to the low-carb diet plan. I do feel good when I'm on it. The biggest problem I have right now is lack of money for good groceries. Protein is expensive and most food pantries don't offer it.

My Doc has the best bed-side manner and takes time to listen, but I'm afraid that I might end up blind like my mother. It runs in our family very heavily: 3 out of 4 siblings have it + my mother.

Thanks again for all the support and advice. :) MUCH appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Oh MsTCB, I'm so very sorry you've gone through this. Are you sure your doc has a medical license? What you are telling us is unconscionable. I'd say it's actionable. But moving forward ...

I would never see that doc again, for anything. If he can be that stupid (the kindest statement I could possibly make) then I wouldn't want him near my common cold.

The good news about diabetes medication is that Metformin is cheap. It's generic, and if your new doc doesn't start you on that first I'd ask why not. It's a very good med, and beginning on the extended release version is a good idea as it reduces the disagreeable gastric effects that are common with metformin. It does not further burn out your beta cells because it does not stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin. Your doc isn't even up on his medications! A great side effect of metformin is that it has an appetite suppressant aspect, and coupled with a low-carb diet you =will= lose weight. I lost almost 50 lbs this year without even trying.

About your appointment this week - what is a 'wound' doctor? It sounds like what you need is one good physician. Is that doctor a family practitioner, internist, or ...?

Oh my I'm glad you're here. And so very glad you're going to get some help. Let us know who you choose as your new doc :)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
The biggest problem I have right now is lack of money for good groceries. Protein is expensive and most food pantries don't offer it.
Eggs will be your friend. Eggs are inexpensive, a lot of bang for the buck, and there's a lot you can do with an egg. A can of tuna is loaded with protein - and an egg/tuna salad with full-fat mayo can go far in filling a belly, and it's healthy for us. If you can stay away from carbs, you will feel less hunger and not eat the quantity of food you might be eating now (that's the case with me) while still getting adequate calories from fat and protein.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Moon. I'm glad I found you all during my "google" search this evening. I'm starting to feel more hopeful already. :)

Congrats on your weight loss. I hope I can get on this Metformin and lose weight on it as well.

Sorry about the confusion with the "wound" doctor - that's just what I called him. My Doc was on vacation, so I saw his Physician Assistant about the ankle ulcer. She said she didn't want to do anything to it (I think she was afraid - which is understandably considering how bad it looks). She wanted to refer me to a place called the Wound Clinic. I was hoping to get in right away, but found out that they are only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I looked up the doctor and found out that he is a D.O.

My regular Doc is a Family Doctor.
I'll keep you posted.
I am grateful for the support.
I was just reading the "101" articles. Wow!
I can hardly wait to wake up in the morning so I can dive into all those articles.
What a blessing. :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the egg and tuna idea. I love tuna salad but had forgotten about it. I also think there's tuna at the food pantry. Wonderful idea!!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to have to leave this great conversation, but it's almost 3:00 a.m. here in Kentucky.
Good - night.
Will check in tomorrow. :)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

I do agree with what others have said so far. Your A1C needs to come down!
I'd submit that using insulin to save what beta cells you have left is an alternative that might be considered. SOME medicines do stimulate the pancreas and can burn out the beta cells, some do not. Find a different doc....
In the mean time eating low - lower carb will help. Again welcome.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I would not only find a new doc but report the old one to your state medical board!

And yes Blood Sugar 101 and learn how to eat, in the meantime ...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
MsTCB - as others have stated, get another doctor NOW.

The one you're seeing is engaging in behaviour bordering on MEDICALLY NEGLIGENT. His ignorance about diabetes is killing you, literally. (Unfortunately, medical negligence is a nearly impossible situation to prove, especially in an area that isn't a family doctor's specialty...)

Weightloss is almost universally accompanied when prescribing Metformin for patients. Other drugs, especially insulin, can be associated with weight gain ... but NOT Metformin.

Your first course of treatment SHOULD be:

1. Metformin (and at your A1c result - I'd want the MAX dosage)
  2. Daily Exercise of a minimum of 45-60 minutes
  3. Low-Carb diet with evenly-spaced meals
Those are the things that will get the weight off, reduce any insulin-resistance, lower your blood sugars and get your life back.

Glad to have you hear, hope we can help!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry for what you are going through but I am glad you came here to find some answers. From what you said about your doctor he doesn't understand diabetes. Although losing weight is healthy, it doesn't cure your diabetes. I am 118 pounds, in a size 2 and still need 2550mg of metformin to control my bgs. My HbA1c is 5.3. Most doctors want your HbA1c in the 6-7 range to prevent complications. A normal person is in the 4-5 range. So you are more than double normal. When your bgs are high, sugar sticks to the blood molecules and then clogs your arteries leading to reduced blood circulation to arms, legs, toes, heart, kidneys or eyes. Taking medication is a lifeline for most of us. I would think you would benefit from Insulin. Insulin doesn't have to mean weight gain if you adjust your carbs in your diet. Most diabetics who have the disease as long as you do are insulin insufficient and benefit from insulin. The first thing your doctor should realise is that taking medication does not mean failure. You are just assisting a function in your endocrine system that is broken.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was on blood sugar medication BEFORE I was diabetic. I was insulin resistant / pre-diabetic and put on metformin. So, letting you continue with A1cs at that level should be malpractice. I would seriously think about suing the guy because he has now damaged your health by refusing to treat you diabetes. And I'm usually not a fan of suing... but that is just unacceptable. Yes, losing weight will help with your blood sugar, BUT you need other means to control your numbers until you are able to lose the weight.

My endocrinologist has kind of the same opinion - as in, when I reduced my A1c from 9.1 to 5.2, she said it was so low because I lost 30lbs. NO, it's like that because I have been eating right and keeping my numbers under control for the past three months... the eating right has caused me to lose weight... not the other way around.

You've gotten such great advice already... I might be able to help with low-carb on a budget, if you need it. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi and welcome *waves from Perth Australia* I can't add anything that hasn't already been said except the your wound won't heal so long as your blood sugar levels are as high as they are...to me that's proof positive you need medication...as soon as the levels come down the wound will heal...you deserve to have a great doctor that support you and wants you healthy!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Ditto on all the comments so far. BTW, you don't need any more protein. Don't eat any more than you eat right now. Cut out every single gram of carbs you can from your diet. The ONLY ones left should be the ones in green, leafy vegetables, or nuts.

What you need is good, natural FATS. No trans-fats and stay away from all "vegetable" (highly-processed) oils in the grocery store. Keep PUFAs to a minimum. Get fat from coconut oil, four-legged animals, butter, cream, cheeses (those which list more grams of fat than grams of protein), avocados, olives (and oil) nuts and things like that. Eat hearty! It should be about the same number of calories you are used to. Just keep swapping 9g of carbs for 4g of fat without changing protein until your numbers come down.

It could be that by the time you find a decent doctor, you may not even need him/her!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow - I am overwhelmed by the kindness and helpful advice.
Thank you all !!
Sorry for the delay in getting on the forum today.
I heard my phone ringing when I was asleep this morning but couldn't reach it in time to answer.
It was my Doc's office and the nurse left a voice message telling me that the X-ray I had yesterday showed a 2 cm calcification in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen. She said that a 2009 CT scan had shown a 1.5 cm calcification in the same place, so the Doc wants to refer me to Vascular Surgeon for an opinion. She then added that the calcification is an aneurysm in my artery.

I was totally shocked and broke down in tears! After I pulled myself together a little bit, I called my sister who suggested that I make an appt to go talk to the Doc's Physician Assistant tomorrow to see if I can get more information. So, that's what I did. I'm scheduled to see her first thing tomorrow morning.

One reason this news was so upsetting is because I did NOT have CT Scan in 2009 that showed a 1.5 cm calcification or anything else abnormal in my abdomen. I had been having some other medical problems that my Doc ordered a CT scan for in 2009, but it revealed a 2 cm Ovarian Cyst which is no where near the Upper Left Quadrant of the human body. Plus the cm sizes are off.

I called the Nurse back and asked if she could possibly have my records mixed up with someone else's, but she just chuckled and said no. She said I have an arterial aneurysm and that when the scheduling dept calls to tell me my appt time/date with the Vascular Surgeon to be SURE to keep it because it's not an appt. I would want to miss. I told asked if she had the location mixed up b/c the CT scan in 2009 showed nothing abnormal in the left upper quadrant, but did show a 2cm Ovarian Cyst. She reassured me that she did not have the locations mixed up.

I got off the phone and started crying again.
I "googled" aneurysm info and found out that it can be a complication of Diabetes. :(
Other than that, I don't have any of the other risk factors for an aneurysm. My HDL, LDL, etc. have always been normal. My blood pressure has also always been normal. Last week it was 120 over 72.

I am trying hard not to get upset again right now and I hope I can get some answers tomorrow.
IF I did have a CT scan in 2009 that showed a 1.5 cm aneurysm, I feel like my Doc should have told me about it. I do keep a copy of all my medical records and lab results and I just cannot find this abnormal CT scan the Nurse referred to.

I am a 10 year Thyroid Cancer survivor which first showed up as a "calcification," so when I hear that word, it scares me.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Putting out Best Vibes that this is, indeed, a mistake. Or, at least, something as close to trivial as possible.

I am so sorry this office is putting you through such an ordeal. Aneurysms are nothing to "chuckle" about -- and if this is for real, it is inexcusable (as in, most likely actionable) that you were not informed back in 2009.

If it's not for real, it's incompetence. Run like the wind!

Please keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts