The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks, I'm obviously new around here. I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes over 10 years ago, and have been taking oral meds, but not really testing my blood sugar. It's not an excuse, but I have a huge needle phobia that's so bad that I hate pricking my finger to test.

A few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy. Talk about your wake-up calls. Once the Retinopathy has been taken care of, I'm going to ask my doctor to do a new glucose tolerance test and use that as a new baseline for treatment. I thought I'd join a Diabetes forum for support. Yes, in the meantime, I am limiting my carb intake and making sure I'm not missing my oral meds.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You found the right place for support! :D

And yeah - HUGE wake-up call. I think, relative to any damage diabetes can do, my vision is the thing that concerns me most.

Welcome aboard, Fleegle, and thank you for joining us! :cool:

G

·
Try this. Close your eyes for about 30 seconds and move your head around as if you were looking for something...or following a sound. Go ahead...I'll wait.

Now, picture doing that for the rest of your life.

Now, let's say you are blind and your doctor calls you up all excited and says he's found a cure to bring back your eyesight. A chill runs through you, the hair on your arm stands up, your heart starts beating faster. You ask the doctor what miracle cure could be possible to bring sight back to the blind. He says that all you have to do is stick yourself once a day in the finger with a jive little lancet.

Ya' know, I'm a pretty big guy. Pulled two tours in Vietnam; member of a outlaw motorcycle club for 30 years; bounty hunter for 12 years; I can kick everyone's ass that I know...and to be honest, I don't like sticking my finger with a lancet, either. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts