The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a type-1 diabetic since I was 11 years old; that’s now over 48 years. I have had plenty of professional medical evaluations attesting to my condition; certainly many hospital stays concerning such, as well as personal hypo- and hyper-glycemic episodes. I feel it necessary to mention this because of what’s been happening with me lately.
I will wake up during the night totally discombobulated; my limbs flailing in every direction and my thoughts and feelings caged in some kind of hallucinatory disarray. Sometimes I have been so “out of it” that I’ve fallen out of bed onto the floor, doing damage to the objects around me... and myself.
Before continuing, I must admit that I don’t do blood sugars. My reasons are not relevant here. Suffice to say that I can’t confirm my levels when these situations occur.
Even more befuddling, there is always an almost unbearable need to urinate. When one is in such a state, it can make for a most distressing and confusing conundrum what to do first... eat and then go to the bathroom, or vice-versa?
Usually, I eat first.
Last night, though my brain was quite addled, I went to the bathroom first. After five minutes or so, my sense of extreme bewilderment seemed to settle itself. I had hurt myself from falling on the floor and I was bleeding profusely. The amount of it on the floor and everywhere else was so disconcerting to my sense of neatness that I proceeded to try to clean up the mess.
I still hadn’t eaten anything, but I no longer felt it was a priority.
In fact, I didn’t partake of any food for almost an hour after my tumble from the precipice of sanity.
This is not the first time this sort of “hypoglycemic” adventure has occurred. For the past couple of years, when I have gone through an incident in the middle of the night, I have noticed the quickness of relief after eating only a little bit of food. Yet whenever I have had low blood-sugars during my waking hours, it usually takes more than a few spoonfuls or minutes of glucose imbibing.
So am I suffering through some “delusional hypoglycemia”? It doesn’t happen regularly. It doesn’t occur because of some particular emotional state I entered the realm of sleep with... I can’t figure any of this out. All I know is that I would prefer not going through this kind of trauma in the future, especially when taking in account of further physical damage I might incur... past episodes have resulted in broken pieces of furniture, soiled bed-sheets, torn pages from books, as well as black-and-blue marks. Last night, I was still bleeding two hours afterwards.
WHAT IS GOING ON?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Two things come to mind.

1. We are not going to attempt to diagnose, as we don't practice medicine.

2. "I don't do blood sugars, and the reasons are irrelevant." doesn't do it, here.

Without numbers, everything is guesswork.

Good luck.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you do not test your blood sugar for reasons that are not relevant here...even though you are a type 1 supposedly, then you are being foolish.

Please come back to us when you feel that you have been discombobulated enough to actually care about your own health, or feel seriously about improving it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a mistake posing the question at the end of my post. I am not looking for a personal diagnosis of my situation since, without supplying objective numbers, there would be too little objective information for anyone, even a person who was able to grant me trustworthiness, to give me a proper one.
I was just wondering if there is any body else out in this community who has gone through similar circumstances.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The people on this forum conscientiously test their blood sugar so they don't have to guess at what is happening to them. Unless you're willing to use your meter there isn't much we have to offer you. You're a type 1 diabetic, for pete sake. Taking care of yourself means testing your blood several times a day. Whatever your excuse for not doing it, it isn't good enough. Are you on MDI or a pump?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't like doctor's either. But if this was happening to me, I would call 911. Since you don't test your blood sugar you don't know what's high or low. Do u test for ketones either? You could be going DKA and that's life threatening. I don't know the symptoms of that either, but either way low or high, I would want to know.

DKA (Ketoacidosis) & Ketones

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death.

When your cells don't get the glucose they need for energy, your body begins to burn fat for energy, which produces ketones. Ketones are chemicals that the body creates when it breaks down fat to use for energy. The body does this when it doesn’t have enough insulin to use glucose, the body’s normal source of energy. When ketones build up in the blood, they make it more acidic. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick.

High levels of ketones can poison the body. When levels get too high, you can develop DKA. DKA may happen to anyone with diabetes, though it is rare in people with type 2.

Treatment for DKA usually takes place in the hospital. But you can help prevent it by learning the warning signs and checking your urine and blood regularly.

What are the Warning Signs of DKA?
DKA usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. Early symptoms include the following:

Thirst or a very dry mouth
Frequent urination
High blood glucose (blood sugar) levels
High levels of ketones in the urine
Then, other symptoms appear:

Constantly feeling tired
Dry or flushed skin
Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
(Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
Difficulty breathing
Fruity odor on breath
A hard time paying attention, or confusion

Source: DKA (Ketoacidosis) & Ketones: American Diabetes Association®

·
Registered
178 Posts
WHAT IS GOING ON?
None of us can say what is going on with any certainty. Like you, I'm also a Type I and I was diagnosed 18 years ago. Your current set of circumstances frighten the hell out of me. I've had some very serious hypo episodes that had me in an ambulance and in the ER in minutes. I'm thankful I'm still here today. You are playing with death, plain and simple. I don't like doctors myself, but some of them still know a bit more about Type I diabetes than we do. I think you should see your PCP (primary care physician) immediately. A consult with an Endo might even be better. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a real problem with Diabetic Hallucinations.

It is imperative to test your glucose often to find out what is happening to you. This is some scary stuff!
If you are hypo you can be causing brain damage and increasing your chances for dementia. If you are hyper you are causing severe damage to your vital organs, blood vessels, eyes..... Just your entire being.
There are a sites out there on the Internet to give you information about diabetic hallucinations. They are a very real condition.
By the way. Do you live alone? If so have you considered checking into the monitoring companies that can call 911 for you if you hit a button. I must say I am completely scared for you.

http://www.diabetestreatmentguide.org/symptoms-of-diabetic-hallucinations/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts