The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! If you celebrate Easter, I hope you are enjoying your day. Don't eat too much candy, you will regret it later.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No sweets over here, but we're stuffed to the gills with prime rib, roasted asparagus with homemade hollandaise, and deviled eggs! How's everybody else doing so far?! I had a horrible spike too . . . all the way up to 115! :D :spider: :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spikes

I am a little confused, I have type2 and you mention 115 as being bad. I had the impression that if you kept it below 120-130, that is good. For example Easter night, I had 127 before bed and 123 when I got up and 112 before I ate breakfast. I am also getting the impression that if you are a type 2 on insulin then it is a new approach and you try to keep BG even lower. FYI, I just started to monitor my BG's more closely, and want to know if I should shoot for even lower BG's.

No sweets over here, but we're stuffed to the gills with prime rib, roasted asparagus with homemade hollandaise, and deviled eggs! How's everybody else doing so far?! I had a horrible spike too . . . all the way up to 115! :D :spider: :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am a little confused, I have type2 and you mention 115 as being bad. I had the impression that if you kept it below 120-130, that is good. For example Easter night, I had 127 before bed and 123 when I got up and 112 before I ate breakfast. I am also getting the impression that if you are a type 2 on insulin then it is a new approach and you try to keep BG even lower. FYI, I just started to monitor my BG's more closely, and want to know if I should shoot for even lower BG's.
We are all a little different, and our bodies all respond a bit differently. I know that many T2's that do not take insulin try to keep their blood sugar lower because they dont have insulin to use for corrections...they need to prevent highs from happening in the first place. I try to keep mine reasonable lower because the less highs I have..the less insulin I have to take to chase it back down. If you can get fasting blood sugars under 100 thats optimal...for mine I am happy to have it in the low 100's because I have had a lot of problems with high FBS and liver dumping. I am pretty much happy to be anywhere from 80-120 after I eat. Most research I have seen says that the most damage caused to your body takes place when you are keeping your sugars over 140.
Like I said though....this works for me and you make your own mileage with your needs :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm sorry, kooshbal . . . I was being facetious and smart-alecky. No, 115 is not bad or high. After a big meal, it's a very good reading, and I was actually rejoicing that I stayed so stable after a wonderful rich holiday meal. My target range is 80-130, so pretty similar to yours. I am type 2 and not on insulin either. I just try to stay low because I don't have any way to get back down if I do spike very high.

Again - sorry to have caused confusion. I'll try to keep the bad jokes under my hat after this! :eek:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In an ideal world, the best thing is to sit down with your doctor and agree on a target range. If you don't get the answer you are looking for from the doctor, then research. I like to keep my numbers lower and some may think that my readings are too low. Visit the ADA website for their target ranges. It has been said that when you try to achieve tight control you run the risk of developing lows. I came up with my own target and my doctor said my ranges were OK, but watch the lows. I also take some oral medications that can cause lows. I do have some hypo unawareness. All I can do is test when I feel low and treat accordingly. If you are lucky to have a CGM, then you would be alerted when you are going low. I don't have a CGM, my insurance doesn't cover one for me, but I wish I had one to alert me when I am under 70. There is a really good book out called Using Insulin by John Walsh, PA, CDE that I have read and it really helped me out. If you get the opportunity to read this, you will become more educated about using insulin. I am still learning about insulin and keep making adjustments. If you can get your doctor to set your range all the better. Also, if you can find a diabetes self-management class, and can afford the sessions, jump at the opportunity. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts