The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody :),

I just turned 31 and I've been a type 1 diabetic for ten years now. Like a lot of people, I've had my ups and downs dealing with it and have definitely felt like my friends and family try but just don't understand. I consider myself extremely lucky to have their love and support though, especially since I was diagnosed with two more autoimmune diseases this past year (Lupus and Graves). I've been on a pump (the Omnipod) for about 2 years and have a good handle on my blood sugars. I love not having to deal with 12-15 shots a day anymore while maintaining tighter control! Now if only I understood the other two disease's...lol

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
My better half could help with the Lupus part. She has that plus fibromyalgia, Sjorgens, and Chrons.

Autoimmunes run in her family so let me know if there's anything she can help with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I apreciate that :). I have my first appt with the rhumatologist (I can't spell) next week so any tips on what I should ask about would be great.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I would ask how the steroids you will inevitably be prescribed would interact with the diabetes and any medication you may be prescribed...at least for starters.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I can imagine how difficult this would be for you. It's great that you've held your head high and are managing this successfully

Tony

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Allergic to steroids?! Wow that's going to make managing Lupus very difficult at times, as well as some of injuries/ side effects with managing the DM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts