The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
We eat our share of sugar/free pudding, but don't short-change the sugar/free gelatin either . . . we top it off with a ton of real honest-to-goodness whipped cream (no imitations, please ;)), and it's our favorite dessert nowdays. Just whip a cupful of heavy whipping cream and sweeten it with a drop or two of stevia or other artificial sweetener and you're in business. Big delicious business! (shoot - just forget the gelatine & eat the whipped cream with a big spoon!) :D
OK, I have to ask... has the quality of the sugarfree Jello gone up since the 80s? Because I remember it from diets back then and... I am trying to block the painful memories. :p

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I never needed sugar-free back in the '80s, but I can tell you the little tubs of it now are fine. They're fine enough to eat just plain, but they're delectable when eaten with sugar-free authentic whipped cream.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK, I have to ask... has the quality of the sugarfree Jello gone up since the 80s? Because I remember it from diets back then and... I am trying to block the painful memories. :p
I love the Jello brand sugar-free, fat-free instant puddings (haven't found sugar-free in cook n serve form yet). So far, I have three great flavors - chocolate, butterscotch and pistachio (the banana cream is not great). I use whole milk instead of the full-fat cream to save on calories (and money). No need to add any sweetener to it, it already tastes great. I have at least half a cup a day (6-8 carbs) to take the edge off.:)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
silvertiger said:
I only like the actual Jello brand gelatin in the refrigerator section at the grocery. Never tried the do it yourself in the box kind :)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I only like the actual Jello brand gelatin in the refrigerator section at the grocery. Never tried the do it yourself in the box kind :)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
I wouldn't eat gelatin even with a gun to my head. Carbs or no carbs, I'm not putting ground up cow's hooves in my body! :eek:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Literally a week ago, I could NEVER have imagined not eating junk every day - the thought of it made me cry. So I am SHOCKED now that, while I do miss it on an emotional level - I'm not really craving it anymore. It really is true that when you're eating nothing but carbs you're just starving all the time. Eating the way I'm eating now - mostly meats, cheeses, eggs, salads, veggies, nuts, and some sugar-free "treats" - I'm not even hungry between meals. Being originally from Philadelphia, I was mourning the death of my beloved cheesesteaks and hoagies, but have found a way to have them without the bread and they taste just as great. Now, if only I can find some low-carb version of a cannoli :D
I know just the thought of giving up all the stuff that was "comfort" food to us is very sad. However, I don't really miss any of it anymore. Like you said, when you realize the stuff you were eating all along and it left you still hungry wasn't really good for you. I've gotten to the point where I could go on only 2 meals a day. Sometimes I do. I probably eat my biggest meal in the afternoon. By dinner time, I'm not really all that hungry and will usually just eat a light dinner. I cannot even finish a salad anymore at dinner time. Even at lunch time. I could probably go with a small bowl rather than a medium bowl now.

Now, as far as that cannoli is concerned, the filling is not really bad for you (if you substitute any real sugar); but that shell could really be a killer for a diabetic. You can make the filling and eat just that...full fat ricotta at that!

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I know just the thought of giving up all the stuff that was "comfort" food to us is very sad. However, I don't really miss any of it anymore. Like you said, when you realize the stuff you were eating all along and it left you still hungry wasn't really good for you. I've gotten to the point where I could go on only 2 meals a day. Sometimes I do. I probably eat my biggest meal in the afternoon. By dinner time, I'm not really all that hungry and will usually just eat a light dinner. I cannot even finish a salad anymore at dinner time. Even at lunch time. I could probably go with a small bowl rather than a medium bowl now.

Now, as far as that cannoli is concerned, the filling is not really bad for you (if you substitute any real sugar); but that shell could really be a killer for a diabetic. You can make the filling and eat just that...full fat ricotta at that!
This is a great thread for anyone interested in a LC cannoli recipe: LC Cannoli recipes anyone?? Even just the filling?? - Low Carb Friends

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, after my first week on insulin and seeing my numbers drop dramatically from the high 100's and 200's down to the 70's and 80's and scaling my carbs back from about a hundred a day to about 30, I figured I earned a small treat today, so I "treated" myself to a McDonald's soft serve cone. Not so much a treat after all - it took me way up from a 73 to a 175 in less than an hour. :eek:I suppose I was under the stupid rationalization that the insulin would simply fight whatever carbs I put in my body. Guess I'm wrong! I took 8mg Glimiperide a while ago, hoping that will bring it down quicker.

I learned my lesson - no more "treats". I won't let this happen again, because now I'm very disappointed in myself. Tomorrow's a new day, but so is Thanksgiving - and THAT'S going to be a hard one to resist.:(
Some "treats" are worse than others. You will find that out for yourself. For me a very small portion of cheesecake with regular sugar doesn't spike my sugar as high as the one made from Splenda. You have to try different things to find out what works for you. I am learning that lesson over and over again this year.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Had one if these "lesson learned" episodes tonight. BH found a low carb pumpkin pie recipe and made it tonight. Both as a treat for my "dia-versary" and to see if we could use it Thanksgiving. Well my one hour reading was great, 96. Not so great since, 138 at 2 hour and 156 at 3 hour.
So we decided to look at the recipe and ingredients again and see if we could find any hidden carbs or something we may have missed. Took a bit but we found it. The artificial sweetener she used wasn't so artificial, it was a "sugar blend". Half sugar, half sweetener. We both missed it even though its right on the bag.

Lesson? Be careful when buying artificial sweeteners as some are mixed with sugar so that the taste is more like sugar.

Can u guess where that bag is now? Lol

Sent from my iPhone

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Patdart said:
David, I'm trying Swerve and find it is really good and to me tastes just like sugar. Maybe try it again using it?
It wasn't the sweetener itself that was the issue. I've used all different ones and haven't had an issue. The problem was it was mixed with sugar. Defeated the purpose of using the artificial when it has sugar mixed with it.

I'll keep an eye out for the swerve but I don't remember it being sold here. Online perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know what you mean moosha. I love to cook and Thanksgiving is my favorite meal of the year. It's definitely going to be challenging. I suppose sometime between now and then I need to try making cauliflower faux mashed potatoes to see if I can really stand to eat them. The mashed potatoes and corn bread stuffing are what I will miss the most.

Hmm I wonder if I bake the corn bread 2-days ahead of time and refrigerate it and try to retrograde the starch..... I'll have to do some research on this : )
LOL Gretchen you killin me with that cauliflower really want to see if you can eat them...lol!!:D

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
568 Posts
LOL mcsecure and patdart :)
I'm finally ready to try the cauliflower
I've made up my shopping list and put cauliflower on it. So I will give the faux mashed potatoes a try.
I also want to try a recipe I saw on Dr. Oz yesterday, for Dr. Weil's Anti-inflammatory Curried Cauliflower Soup that just sounded and looked really yummy.

Gretchen

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oh god, 90 carbs?? No, uh uh, not anymore. I can't imagine going back to eating like that again, so I guess I'll just have to muddle through the holidays. It's like Shanny said earlier, the thought of having to get back on track after screwing up is exhausting. I'm making do in the low-carb world just fine now. I'll just have to remember what stuffing, mashies, and biscuits taste like :p

(Thank goodness for my sugar-free instant pudding - no spike! Really takes the edge off.)
Here's a pic of my Thanksgiving dinner last year. Very tasty, lots of variety, very filling and satisfying....no spikes! :) The light brown unidentifiable stuff is a frozen turkey roast....LOL

·
Registered
583 Posts
LOL mcsecure and patdart :)
I'm finally ready to try the cauliflower
I've made up my shopping list and put cauliflower on it. So I will give the faux mashed potatoes a try.
I also want to try a recipe I saw on Dr. Oz yesterday, for Dr. Weil's Anti-inflammatory Curried Cauliflower Soup that just sounded and looked really yummy.

Gretchen
You would never know it was cauliflower! :) I like Shanny's idea of roasting it, but what I've done is put the cooked flowerettes in a thin towel and "wring" it to get most of the water out before adding some cream and butter and seasonings....even garlic. You never have to miss mashed potatoes again! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You would never know it was cauliflower! :) I like Shanny's idea of roasting it, but what I've done is put the cooked flowerettes in a thin towel and "wring" it to get most of the water out before adding some cream and butter and seasonings....even garlic. You never have to miss mashed potatoes again! :)

I've never had caulifower before. Seriously, what does it taste like? Is it anything approaching mashed potatoes? :confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here's a pic of my Thanksgiving dinner last year. Very tasty, lots of variety, very filling and satisfying....no spikes! :) The light brown unidentifiable stuff is a frozen turkey roast....LOL
Besides the green beans and the turkey roast, what's the other stuff?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've never had caulifower before. Seriously, what does it taste like? Is it anything approaching mashed potatoes? :confused:
It has a very mild flavor. If someone served it to you without you knowing what it was, you wouldn't even know the difference. :) I even made "faux" potato salad with cauliflower this year and it was wonderful! Hey! I even have a picture of it...this was my July 4 dinner, cauliflower salad with chopped eggs, celery, onion and mayonaisse (seasoned with celery salt), bratwurst and broccoli

21 - 40 of 50 Posts