The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I have no experience with the diet you mentioned. I do understand gastrointestional problems. I have gastroparesis, which means that my food digests slowly. It also makes me very nauseated. Good luck with your new diet, that is a great way to start the new year!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks Breezeonby and Jwag.
@Breezeonby - I'm at stage where they have ruled out most sinister things. Although gastroenterologist has order ultrasound on my pancreas, liver, & gallbladder. His theory is that it's possible I may have inflammation or gallstones. My pain is on the left... but he says that it could still be gallstones. Mainly because I'm chronically burping all the time too. I have already been given a strong course of antibiotics to kill of any bacterial overgrowth in the gut. The FODMAP diet is to rule out fructose intolerance as the cause. After these two things, if I still have symptoms apparently I will be labelled as having Irrititable Bowel Syndrome. With all the infections I've had I've also had a tonne of antibiotics year after year. Sometimes I wonder if that is what has affected my stomach? Also my problems started (getting infections & digestive problems) when I had 3x gastro viruses within 3 months and I was hospitalised for two of them. It's been a rollercoaster ride ever since.
@jwag - I find on insulin I've had more hypo's. I used to be on Metformin and other drugs before that for years. I had to get taken off Metformin as it was giving me unpleasant side effects. Although in the end no type of drug worked on me at all... completely useless and I demanded to know why for a couple of years before they eventually agreed to test me instead of changing my dosage all the time. You mentioned you eat grainy bread... on FODMAP I can't do that at all. I believe I can eat oats, although no wheat, rye, etc. I still haven't figured out how it actually works as I just got given 2 pages of foods not to eat and 1 page of food to eat. I have no other instruction. I've looked it up on the net and I get different ways of doing this diet... eg. 4 days restricting, then introducing, etc. Hopefully dietitician can help me that way.
Gosh, I hate to see you labeled with IBS, seems like gastroenterologists like that syndrome and there is really no cure or even a medication that helps it. Keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
yeah I hope it's not IBS too... last thing I want. I'm still having symptoms everyday at the moment.... I reckon it inferferes with my BGLs a lot too. I've been on long term stomach meds (probably almost tried all the drugs to date), but I don't like continuing to take drugs without knowing the cause... so hopefully I get an answer. Next appt with gastro is not until March, so I probably won't find out anything until then. I did see Iridologist/Naturopath a few months ago out of interest... he mentioned my gallbladder being a problem... now I'm wondering if he was right? I wasn't believing some of the other stuff he mentioned though.... eg. he didn't even identify I was diabetic at all. We all live and learn!
I had a troublesome gallbladder, nausea, pain that radiated to my back. Just felt terrible. Had no stones but the ultrasound did show that I had sludge and a surgeon said I would feel much better once that it was removed. I had it removed in September 2009 and have never had any problems since. The only real pain was right after surgery and I wasn't responding to the pain meds given in the recovery room, so they kept me overnight and I was ready to go home the next day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.