The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious because this has been a major concern for me, and aside from the weight-loss, the hair-loss is what prompted me to see my GP and get checked out. That's how I got my diagnosis of T2 D. Has anyone else experienced an increase in fallout or major hair loss as a result of diabetes? Just wondering if this is normal and taking my meds regularly will help stop this, or if something else could be the cause. I'm really concerned because I feel like I've lost 2/3 of my hair over the past year and it has me feeling really insecure, especially at 27 :(

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I have gone through major (traumatic) hair loss in the last 3 years, and I noticed it not long after my diabetes DX. However, I have had a lot of stress during that time also, am 63 (menopause), and who knows what it's from.

I spoke with 3 GPs, an endocrinologist, 3 hairdressers, a dermatologist, and any random people in the street who would listen to me. There was no consensus, and what I learned is that hair loss is tricky business.

Most thought my hair would come back and had fallen out due to stress my body was under (it didn't), many recommended Rogaine for Women (that lasted about a month until I got sick of it and thought I'd rather hold my head up high and be a bald woman than apply that frantically 2x/day), and some suggested biotin but I learned few are deficient in it and only in those cases does it work.

The body can go under great stress with an illness, and when our bodies need resources for repair, hair can be the first thing the body lets go of while it attends to more critical things. i'm being treated for hypothyroidism now, so my hair could come back in time, or some of it - but don't know.

Is there balding in your family? I'd look to your dad first for hints, and then get testing for testosterone levels, thyroid, and maybe see a dermatologist? But, expect you might not get consensus or clear answers on this.

It bites. I know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me, I don't have any history of baldness on either side of my family, and I've had my thyroid checked and it's fine. As far as i know my only issues is the T2 diabetes, so I guess it may be due to GB levels? Not sure, but it's frustrating, and scary--especially as a woman. My luscious dark locks are becoming thin and stringy, and I can see my scalp very easily in the light. Not happy that I've lost 2/3 of my hair, and I hope to God when my BG gets under control my hair may grow back :(
I know it sounds very vain, but at 27 it's a big deal for me and makes me feel very insecure. Like I need any more body issues than I already have...

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
For me, menopause, diabetes and hair loss hit around the same time. Can't tell which to blame; maybe it's something else altogether. My thyroid tests always come out normal; not sure if they lie or not.

So far, massive doses (10,000mcg/pill) of biotin have helped me reduce the loss.

In the past 5 years or so, I've seen more women with bald spots than I ever have before. Is this an old and wondrously hidden secret of aging, or is there something new in our air/food/water? I'm officially clueless.

Reactions: foxl and newgrange

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I also have experienced massive hair loss. My hair's always been super-thick and is waist-length, so no one could tell for a long time that mine was falling out, except for me. I also wouldn't be able to say which it's from, as I have thyroid issues (previous thyroid cancer) and diabetes. I also took biotin for a while and it did help. After a short time, I noticed it wasn't falling out anymore.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't know much about this but a quick search shows many links where there are claims of a link between high blood sugar and hair loss, but nothing about diabetes per se having any impact.

PS, It might be a good idea if everyone on this thread identifies their gender! It kinda makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Reactions: Mary

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
For me, menopause, diabetes and hair loss hit around the same time. Can't tell which to blame; maybe it's something else altogether. My thyroid tests always come out normal; not sure if they lie or not.

So far, massive doses (10,000mcg/pill) of biotin have helped me reduce the loss.

In the past 5 years or so, I've seen more women with bald spots than I ever have before. Is this an old and wondrously hidden secret of aging, or is there something new in our air/food/water? I'm officially clueless.
Me, too! Biotin? Might look into it! I had meno and D hit simultaneously. I also saw ppl blaming metformin! But my hair is also finer and more brittle, meaning it breaks off at 1" -- very frustrating, indeed ...

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
For me, I don't have any history of baldness on either side of my family, and I've had my thyroid checked and it's fine. As far as i know my only issues is the T2 diabetes, so I guess it may be due to GB levels? Not sure, but it's frustrating, and scary--especially as a woman. My luscious dark locks are becoming thin and stringy, and I can see my scalp very easily in the light. Not happy that I've lost 2/3 of my hair, and I hope to God when my BG gets under control my hair may grow back :(
I know it sounds very vain, but at 27 it's a big deal for me and makes me feel very insecure. Like I need any more body issues than I already have...
Losing hair =is= different for a woman, I agree, and you're far too young for this to be happening. The good news is that it will be easier to grow back at your age than mine.

My TSH came back within lab range, but that doesn't tell the true story. Just in case ... check out the website 'stopthethyroidmadness' and poke around. See if there are other symptoms that could ring a bell for you. I paid for more extensive thyroid tests myself (my doc wouldn't), and the result was a thyroid issue that another doc is treating me for. Mostly, I would keep researching ... Just curious - are you also losing your outer eyebrows?

There are also hair loss clinics in my area, one associated with a major teaching hospital. Perhaps exploring those options also.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Ditto...... Im a girl. :D

I'm a little baffled. I have always had a very thick and waist-long mane. My hair is now below my shoulder and from the back it looks the same..ish. But I swear it has thinned. My hairdresser, each time I ask, will say no, its not falling out, nothing on the brush. I, on the other hand, have some on my brush, but not in chunks, yet I feel it is thinner, unless it is the shampoo.

Honestly, I think there is a difference since dx.

My mom had hardly any grey hair at 72, I think I'm going down the same road.

Some of my friends are grey in their 40's. My long ago ex-fiancé was grey at 26 yrs.

Evanny, also try scalp massages, to stimulate the roots for hair growth.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Mary was a dead giveaway, but we do have some "androgenous" usernames here.
I was only teasing you, smorgan, since you happen to write your post below mine. Excuse my silliness! In a bit of a lighthearted mood the past few days. I am under extreme stress at work and decided a few days ago to trade the stress with being a bit more relaxed and carefree. (We'll see how long this lasts. I am told that relaxing just ain't my thing!) :D

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My father was bald, and my mother had a full head of hair, but about the same time I learned I had high blood sugar I went on an Atkins type woe my hair began to thin out and my hairdresser blamed it on Atkins but I couldn't verify that. I tried taking Biotin but I used the normal amount so saw no change. One thing I got from her was the tendency to not gray...I'll be 74 tomorrow and have to have streaks in my dishwater blonde hair. When she died in her 80's she had almost no gray in her dark brown hair. I've just resigned myself to thin hair.

Oh, and I'm a girl...er, female that is! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had beautiful thick hair. The trauma of loosing my parents and subsequent issues and then diagnosed with diabetes has caused my hair to thin also. And I am pre menopausal. Why dont you go and buy some clip on hair extensions and wear those? Just dont leave them in all the time as they can cause breakage too. But when you are out somewhere or special plans you can clip in and then take out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.