The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pumping now for just over a year. I was on Apidra and Lantus before my switch-over, and my doctor kept my on Apidra. I have had problems with the insulin ever since the switch over (but also had problems with it while using it in a pen). My newer endocrinologist kept me on the Apidra, but when I talked to her of my problems with it, she told me to talk to Animas (I have an Animas One-Touch Ping). They were only a little helpful.

Has anyone else had problems with Apidra forming air bubbles in their pump cartridge, and then that gets pushed out into the tubing? What Animas told me to do was to fill the cartridge with room temperature insulin (but keep the Apidra in the fridge the rest of the time) and keep it out overnight, or for a few hours so that the airbubbles will form in the cartridge and then you can flick them out before assembling a new infusion set. I did this, but still experienced air bubbles.

I was admitted to the hospital with a severe bacterial infection about a month ago, and the hospital diabetes educator came and spoke with me. She told me that the Apidra, although it can be used in pumps, isn't the best to use, because you need to change your infusion set and cartridge every 2 days instead of 3, and that Apidra loses stability after it is opened, and especially once it's been warmed and in your pump, and that was a cause for the air bubbles.

I talked to my endocrinologist (again) about this yesterday, since I was unable to come to a good conclusion with Animas, and also that I was annoyed at having bad readings because of the airbubbles that would form in the cartridge. (I was also told by Animas that I shouldn't take the cartridge out once my pump is primed because other airbubbles can form). I was also concerned about when I switch to my new insurance; Apidra is some outrageous price, and so I asked to be prescribed a different insulin.

Has anyone else had problems with Apidra in their pumps? My endocrinologist prescribed Novolog for me for my pump yesterday. Does anyone have any problems with it? It's a fast-acting insulin, but not as fast-acting as Apidra. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Comments? Thank you :).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So sorry I didn't see this before now. I don't have any experience with Apidra, although I know of people who do use it successfully with their pump. I have used Novolog with my pump since I started in August 2010. Haven't had any major problems with air bubbles, although I do leave my insulin vial set out over night or for at least an hour to get to room temperature.

When I started the pump my CDE also recommended Novolog because it seems to be a bit more user friendly as far as air bubbles not forming. I hope by now your problem with the insulin has improved. Again, sorry for not responding sooner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, Strawberry.

My Animas educator also told me to leave my vials out overnight and then also let the cartridge sit for a little while the next morning before putting it into the pump. This did not help at all with Apidra, Novolog, or Humalog.

I am now currently on Humalog due to an allergic reaction to the Novolog. I am currently taking allergy medications because of a much milder form of allergic reaction to the Humalog. I haven't decided whether to go back to Apidra and pay more with my new insurance, or to get more supplies should I go back to the Apidra (since it only has a shelf-life of 48 hours give or take once it's in the pump). *sigh*. I just wish that I knew someone, anyone, that had problems with air bubbles, even after leaving the vial out overnight. Animas said that it didn't sound like a problem with their pump, even though the bubbles will still form after I've left the vial out overnight, and after I have let the cartridge sit out, full of insulin, for 30 or so minutes. Very annoying. I'm thinking about calling Animas back; I'm not sure that this problem will ever go away! My A1C went from 5.3 after I first started using the pump to a 7.6, which isn't good, and demonstrates what happens when the airbubbles get into the pump. Grrrr!!!!

So sorry I didn't see this before now. I don't have any experience with Apidra, although I know of people who do use it successfully with their pump. I have used Novolog with my pump since I started in August 2010. Haven't had any major problems with air bubbles, although I do leave my insulin vial set out over night or for at least an hour to get to room temperature.

When I started the pump my CDE also recommended Novolog because it seems to be a bit more user friendly as far as air bubbles not forming. I hope by now your problem with the insulin has improved. Again, sorry for not responding sooner.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You seem to be facing a difficult situation. I tried Google to see if there might be a video on how to fill the cartridge - thinking that maybe some little variation in their procedure might help you. Although the website is from NZ, it seems to be helpful. I'm only including it in case it might be helpful to you. Sorry you are having problems, it has to be quite frustrating.

The link I posted did not work, I will look for another. Sorry.

I found another link, hopefully this one works :)
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/animasusers/forum/topics/filling-the-cartridge

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Novolog in my One Touch/Animas Ping ... Have used it approx 2 years with no air bubble issues. My OPEN vial of Novolog is kept in dark closet for all of its 28-days of use while the UNOPEN vials are kept in fridge. I just recently researched how long the Novolog can be used once opened and non-chilled ... 28 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Novolog in my One Touch/Animas Ping ... Have used it approx 2 years with no air bubble issues. My OPEN vial of Novolog is kept in dark closet for all of its 28-days of use while the UNOPEN vials are kept in fridge. I just recently researched how long the Novolog can be used once opened and non-chilled ... 28 days.
Hmmm well I guess I should look and see how long I can keep Humalog unchilled. Although, if I need/decide to go back to Apidra, that can't be unchilled for a long period of time or the chemical structure starts to break down. Thanks :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You seem to be facing a difficult situation. I tried Google to see if there might be a video on how to fill the cartridge - thinking that maybe some little variation in their procedure might help you. Although the website is from NZ, it seems to be helpful. I'm only including it in case it might be helpful to you. Sorry you are having problems, it has to be quite frustrating.

The link I posted did not work, I will look for another. Sorry.

I found another link, hopefully this one works :)
Filling the cartridge - TuDiabetes
This actually gave me a few good ideas. I currently do add my little left-overs to the new vial (I hate wasting insulin), but I didn't think to use a 'tornado' action. I also use a pen to flick the bubble out at the beginning. But I do think that I have other issues; I just removed a bunch of bubbles in my cartidge that formed after I filled it yesterday. This happens a lot. I was told not to remove the cartridge from the pump before changing it, but if I remember to remove it on day 2 and check for bubbles, they will always be there, even though I have pulled the plunger back slowly, and gotten all the bubbles that I can see out before I reassemble it. Thanks everyone :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts