The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new DE I saw swears by cinnamon.. said it would drop my readings like a rock.

The research I have done seems to be on the fence about its use. I just wanted to see if anyone had used it or is using it?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I tried it too and saw no difference either. I still add it to many of my baked goods and recipes because I like the taste, but it is not a substitute for low carb diet, exercise or medication. The only thing that will drop your bg like a rock, I think is fast acting insulin.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I did cinnamon a while back and had the same experience...didn't really do anything for the BG's. It is also supposed to be really great for cholesterol, but again didn't see any significant difference. I agree with Carolina...cinnamon burps big time and also more occasions with heartburn or reflux from it. I took capsules and if didn't drink alot of water, had it come back up later in day. I agree with jwags...fast acting insulin brings numbers down. I just began on basal and bolus insulin and the bolus is definitely making a difference in numbers. The are in the low 200's instead of low 300's after only two days. I'm happy with that. I continue with low carbing and exercise as well. There is no "miracle" drug or supplement out there that works better than lifestyle change with diet, exercise and meds. I even use chia seeds and the coconut oil and I see many here who use the coconut oil and have great success. I have yet to see a difference with these two added "foods" and "fat". But, I'll keep with it for a while anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guess I am in the minority then, I take 2 capsules a day and was able to take away one of my metformin pills. So yes, I think it wokks, absolutely nothin to loose is my guess

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have noticed that my bs are lower since I started.. but Im not getting my hopes up just yet.. everytime I have int he past something has happened to crash them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Research is indicating that Cinnamon's effects on a diabetic vary depending on levels of insulin-resistance as well as other issues.

Cinnamon has been consistently shown to IMPROVE insulin-sensitivity, so if your blood sugar issues are related to insulin-sensitivity, then it will usually have an impact.

If your diabetes is a result of both impaired pancreatic function AND insulin-resistance, it may help somewhat, but not enough to register as a huge difference on your blood glucose records.

For me, I noticed an improvement in my BG numbers when I started cinnamon - but at the time I was still quite overweight and quite insulin-resistant. Now that I'm at a much healthier weight, it seems my insulin-resistance is much lower than it was, and the cinnamon has much less of an impact. (I found that out when I ran out of it, and went about 2 weeks before picking up more... the overall trend was that my BG only went up a few percentage points for the big picture...)

However, even if it only helps reduce my overall blood glucose levels by 3-5%, I'm more than willing to continue to take it. As I see it, if I can do three things that each offer a 3-5% improvement, that turns my 6.0 A1c into somewhere between a 5.1 and 5.5, which is my goal.

=)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I haven`t tried the capsules, but I have seen on my readings there is an effect in cinnamon.
If I bake apple and eat them with cream or icecream, my BG will rise more than if I use quite a lot of cinnamon on the apples before I bake them.
Dont know why this is, but for me this is a good way to make baked apples a seldom time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't take cinnamon pills.I agree with Caroline it gave me bad burps. I do like cinnamon in my coffee and tea plus I eat a low carb cinnamon roll once in a while.I don't think it does any thing to my bg's one way or the other

1 - 11 of 11 Posts