The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a low carb dumpling recipe online yesterday and found out some people use a pizza cutter and cut low carb tortillas into strips, drop them one at a time into boiling chicken and broth, reduce the heat to medium and cook 10 to 15 minutes uncovered to make chicken and dumplings. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I make a type of biscuit with coconut flour, eggs and cheese. I wonder if you could use that as a dumpling recipe. The recipe is on Linda's Low Carb
under the bread section.

Reactions: Spunky and Carolina

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't want anyone to waste a chicken or all that time trying out these dumplings, just in case it turned out to be a flop, so I decided to do a little experimenting. I used a can of chicken and can of broth. After 8 minutes, I checked the dumplings and they were way too mushy. I think they should only be cooked a couple of minutes. There was a taste to the dumplings that I didn't care for, but that doesn't mean that others won't like it. It could be the brand of tortillas I use.

But don't give up hope, I think his might work for faux pasta because the spaghetti sauce would surely cover up the tortilla taste better than chicken broth does. Tomorrow I will drop very thin strips into spaghetti sauce, I'll test them every minute and see what I end up with, then I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the pasta experiment, I heated a can of tomato sauce, couple tbsp. butter, some salt & pepper. I cut the tortilla in thin strips like spaghetti, a couple inches long. Cooking 1 min. was too long, made it too mushy, so I removed the sauce from the burner and stirred in the strips. It looked like spaghetti, but nothing tastes like spaghetti except spaghetti. It was OK, nothing spectacular, but maybe (to some) an acceptable substitute. To me, the spaghetti sauce didn't cover whatever the strange taste is that comes from the tortillas. Sorry folks, I'm disappointed too. It sounded like a good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.