The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a pasta maker and would like to know a low carb flour that is good for making pasta. Semolina is what is usually used. Any good substitutes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spaghetti squash is great when I can get it. What I want to know is what flour makes the best pasta from scratch. I have looked at Almond and Coconut, but because of where I live everything needs to be mail ordered and experimenting would be quite expensive. I am hoping someone has actually done this with good results.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Not a cook - that's down to my BH but in five years, she has never managed to create a pasta substitute other than by using the technique suggested by VeeJay. And not wanting to sound conceited, if she can't manage it, I think you're on a loser. Sorry. :(

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I've seen many people use the glucomannan for pasta. But I admit, they are much more accomplished chefs than myself. If I can't grill it, fry it, or sautée it I'm outta my depth

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I put my spaghetti sauce over baby spinach leaves, or sauted vegetables such as green pepper, sliced zucchini, broccoli.

I find this to be more satisfying than spaghetti sauce over noodles. One doesn't get stuffed so badly when eating veggies - AND - they don't require as much sauce, and therefore, keeps the carbs lower. There can be quite a few grams of carbs in tomato based sauces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, Gluten is not Carbohydrates. Gluten is protein. If you search for low carb flour you end up with a lot of gluten-free results which is quite confusing. Rice flour which has no gluten has 128g carbohydrates per cup!

I have found a high gluten flour from Bob's Red Mill that may work when mixed with other flours.

Carbohydrates in one cup of Vital Wheat Gluten is 16g.
Carbohydrates in one cup of Semolina is 124g.

Again, experimenting with different mixtures can result in a lot of work and a very expensive bowl of spaghetti. Not so bad though once I figure it out. This is why I was hoping someone had already gone down this road.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
First, Gluten is not Carbohydrates. Gluten is protein. If you search for low carb flour you end up with a lot of gluten-free results which is quite confusing. Rice flour which has no gluten has 128g carbohydrates per cup!

I have found a high gluten flour from Bob's Red Mill that may work when mixed with other flours.

Carbohydrates in one cup of Vital Wheat Gluten is 16g.
Carbohydrates in one cup of Semolina is 124g.

Again, experimenting with different mixtures can result in a lot of work and a very expensive bowl of spaghetti. Not so bad though once I figure it out. This is why I was hoping someone had already gone down this road.
I'm glad you can eat all that stuff I can't eat any of the items listed. Let your meter be your guide. I manage alot easier with No grains.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I knew we'd discussed this earlier and MCS's name tickled my mind, but I decided it was my imagination…thanks, Shanny. I remember thinking it was just too much trouble for me and I'd given my pasta machine is now in the hands of a friend who is on low carb now, so sits in a dark corner I'm sure.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
That was a nice trip down memory lane reading that thread. :) I haven't made the noodles since then. More trouble than it was worth for me just to have a noodle. These days, zoodles (spiral cut zucchini) work for me just as well and much more easy to make. I think we try so hard to cling those carbs in any way we can, but eventually it isn't worth the trouble.

The further I go down the road with lc/mp/hf the less I need to have those substitutes for the carby items that are no longer on my menu. I am satisfied with my meals and I think my numbers reflect that

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Same here, Barb. I struggled mightily in the beginning though . . . and as this thread indicates, there were some successes. In fact, somewhere around here is a picture of my WPI bread which looks for all the world like ordinary bread & comes pretty close in taste too. :p

But I came to the same conclusion Barb did - it's a lotta work and the longer I stayed on LCHF, the less I needed substitutes for breads.

·
Super Moderator
9,724 Posts
I know nothing about making things from scratch, would mixing gluten with cauliflower make a pasta noodle?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I know nothing about making things from scratch, would mixing gluten with cauliflower make a pasta noodle?
Probably not. Definitely would need eggs for it to set up right. But I think you'd more likely end up with a cauliflower patty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shanny, Thank you for the link. I don't know how I missed it before. It has some good information, but I am going to go my own way on this. Their recipe has way more gluten than Semolina and uses a lot of high carb starch. I hope to do better. I have ordered several components from Bob's Red Mill and have been calculating nutritional ratios for various mixtures. I am a computer programmer by trade so I like to crunch the numbers first. We will see how this translates into a physical product. My goal is a pasta substitute that closely resembles semolina egg noodles with 5g or less carbohydrates per 1 cup serving. I will post the results here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts