The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...still didn't contract the disease?

I fall into this category and I am trying to take the necessary steps needed to prevent this disease. It would really help my morale if someone could post such a success story.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi John...:)....Welcome!

Well, some People are predisposed to Diabetes through their Family genes, others in the Family are not. It's just the Luck of the draw.
Yes, eating healthier and normal exercising will delay Diabetes for some time, if you are predisposed to it in the first place.

We didn't know anyone in either of our Families that had Diabetes but my 2 Brothers and I were dxd. with Type 1 at ages 3 and 4. My Sister(my oldest Brother's twin Sister), who is really old now...j/k...still doesn't have Diabetes. We are a cluster.

My second Cousin had 3 Boys with Type 1. Neither my Parents nor her Parents or themselves are Diabetic. Go figure! Crazy world!

I think I heard of studies/trials where they have developed tests to see if the children have the Diiabetes factor but I think that is for Type 1's. Then again, I may have heard that wrong. We had volunteered for a similar study here but my Dad had already died and they needed both Grandparents.

About 20 years after I was dxd. with Type 1, 3/10 of my Dad's
Brothers and Sisters were dxd. with Type 2.

Here is a link. I don't know if it is what you are looking for.
Parental transmission of type 2 diabetes: the Framingham Offspring Study -- Meigs et al. 49 (12): 2201 -- Diabetes

Anyways, I do hope that you can gather yourself together. Relax! Stressing out will not help at all. It actually raises most Diabetics blood sugar. Enjoy your Life. Tell your siblings to do the same.

I've had Diabetes for 47 years, as of last month. I've had Great times and some Bad times but I'm still enjoying Life. I'm too stuborn to give up or stress about it. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi John,

grandma on my mother's side had diabetes type 2.
Both grandparents on dad's side had diabetes type 2. Grandpa's father had type 2.
My mom's sister has type 2.
Both my dad's sisters have type 2.

And I have type 1...Who will tell... Whether you are predestined to become a diabetic (I hope you won't get it) or not, we should all lead a healthy life. Exercise, healthy food,.. all contributes to a healthy life. That is what we can do for our body. We only have one temple and we should honour it.

Good luck John.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts