The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an appointment with the doctor who tried to push me into a psych evaluation. My access to medical care is, well, tenuous. I lost my real insurance several years back when I lost my jobs due to my other illnesses so now, I am relying on a limited medical assistance program that doesn't cover as much as Medicaid and often assigns doctors. I was allowed to change to this doctor just over a month ago so I doubt I can change doctors again so soon.

I will admit, I feel anxious about the appointment. I don't feel run-screaming-in-the-streets anxious but unsettled. He was condescending and threatening on my last visit so I don't think that's abnormal at all.

My main beef with him is that he wants me to trust him absolutely and keep myself ignorant about my assorted conditions while blindly doing what he says, which, at the moment, is doing absolutely nothing.

He ordered me to have my therapist call him but, I don't think she did. I suspect he'll see this as going against his orders or as being non-compliant. I suspect she just didn't see the need.

How should I deal with this appointment? And does anyone know if a doctor in Michigan can get a person locked up for a psych evaluation against her will?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I do not think anyone, anywhere, can force a psych eval on you.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You seem intelligent & articulate to me, and I wish your health plan advocate could accompany you to see this worthless doctor - if he's in their network & threatening their patients, they might wish they knew about it. He prob'ly needs a psych eval himself. These jerks with their god-complex need to find another line of work. I think if he got uppity with me, I'd be tempted to tell him he needs an attitude adjustment, and ask him how he'd be coping if HE had all the devastating disorders you've been saddled with.

I'll keep you in my thoughts & prayers until we hear from you how it went. ((((Kylyssa))))

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Kylyssa, I would tell this arrogant son-of-a-**** that you don't absolutely trust anyone...except our Almighty Heavenly Father, and that you need to have a doctor who will work with you for what is best for you. This jerk is very controlling and I HATE when doctors act like they are God's gift to us. This doctor needs to be knocked down a peg or two. You need to be rather up front with him and tell him you have Asperger's and communication skills are not the greatest, but that you would like to be involved in decisions where your health and well being are concerned. The last time I trusted a doctor, my daughter was injured during birth and now has a right arm that does not work properly. Giving someone your full trust is making a deal with the Devil. Don't do it. I don't care if you are on public assistance or have to have government healthcare, there is no excuse for substandard care or someone who wants you to only trust him and nobody else. That's just plain ridiculous. Trust in many to give you their opinions, and you be the judge of which opinions you feel are the best for you to follow. Nobody here on this diabetes forum will steer you wrong. We have all been there and have dealt with this idiot doctors like the one you have. And if he refuses to treat you to the best of his ability because you won't trust just in him, then you for sure need to report his butt to the AMA, the hospital/clinic he works for, and also to the insurance company. Doctor's are not god's; they only think they are. People on this forum have taught me more, and educated me better than any health professional where my diabetes is concerned. I TRUST in these people. I fortunately have a wonderful group of physicians who work as a team with me to control my diabetes. I am very blessed that God has sent me to the right people. I will pray that God guides you to the proper healthcare and that you have the ability to communicate to each and every one of them your needs. God Bless and Good Luck today Kylyssa. We will all be praying for you and your health dilemma's. Keep us posted. ((((HUGS)))))))

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
And does anyone know if a doctor in Michigan can get a person locked up for a psych evaluation against her will?
The only way this could be done I think is if the doctor believes you are a danger to yourself or others, i.e. threatening to commit suicide or homicide. How awful you have to think this of him - the sooner you get away from this guy the better.

I understand you're locked into this doc, but you also have that wonderful advocate you can talk to, and hopefully she can help you change docs sooner than might be standard.

In the meantime, good luck - I hope your appt goes better than you expect.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might want to discuss this with your social worker or advocate. Just because you are using a low cost medical insurance program doesn't mean doctors can push you around. I think following any doctor's orders without investigating side effects and complications is crazy. There is going to be anxiety with any kind of chronic disease and if you have several of them on top of each other it just complicates things. The answer is not always more meds. Do you get along with your therapist and what does she say about this overbearing doctor. Sending you a big warm hug.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I obviously don't know both sides of the story but a physician who wants you to blindly follow what he says without knowing why probably then goes home to beat his wife to keep her in line. I hope you get better options soon.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Fingers crossed and best wishes headed your way!

(One of those wishes is for a bright, shiny new doc for you!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it looks like my last experience must have just been my doctor having a very bad day. He was completely, totally reasonable today and even encouraged me to take copies of my test results with me.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
That's wonderful - and a relief!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Yayyyy!

Well, it looks like my last experience must have just been my doctor having a very bad day. He was completely, totally reasonable today and even encouraged me to take copies of my test results with me.
Yayyyyy!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Good for you Kylyssa! I'm glad things went well for you. It is such a huge help and relief when the doctors work with you and show their human side as well! I had an appointment this morning with my endo and she looked at my latest numbers and told me things are looking very good and to keep up the good work. She even gave me a hug at the end of the appointment! I love my endo; she is very caring and I appreciate her concern and encouragement.

Reactions: Kylyssa and foxl
1 - 13 of 13 Posts