The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Richard
Thanks for your welcome yesterday.
Yes, I have inadvertently taken my quick acting insulin instead of my long acting overnight insulin on a few occasions, generally when I have been late home from work and am very tired. You then have to get some glucose down and worry about if and when the hypo will start! I don't think that I have ever overdone it by quite as much as you did. That must be a record!
Peter

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Whoa! That's scary. :eek:

Yes, I have injected the wrong type of Insulin a few times. Thank
goodness, never anywhere as high as 42 units. In fact, I have not
taken that many units in one shot since I've never needed that much
at one time. I think 16 units was the most I took in one shot and I've
split it into usually 2 smaller shots(7 amd 8 units). Thankfully, those
small needles don't scare me.

I do mark my syringes with coloured markers to make sure I do not
take the wrong Insulin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did it one time a few years ago and it scared the heck out of me. No where near 42 units, but the 6 or so units of fast acting that I did take instead of the long would affect me just as much. I started eating everything I could and tested VERY often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Insulin

I've taken 42 units, actually 60 units of Novolog when i went hyperglycemic once.It depends on your weight and how insulin resistant you are,To some that isn't impossible to take.There are many variables.Just when i mix oral and insulin do i go real hypoglycemic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Opps yeapers done this once and will NEVER forget it!! Right after I started taking the Novalog got it mixed up with my Lantus.. Nothing like 18 units of Novalog to drop ya out really fast especially when your only 114lbs ... Thank goodness for 24 hr nurses at the ER triage and some liquid glucose and peanut butter.. Now I look and make sure if I need the grey I get the grey If I need the blue I get the blue lol Guess that is part of this fun, wild ride.. and hey at least I can say I have done it once!! lol Have a great day everyone.. I am off to my new job!!! WOOT .....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Dobble dose!!!!

Oh Boy. :mad: I have had the done the worst to OD with two lots of Protaphane and that was 70U each so I had wait for it..... 140U of Protaphane!!!! GAHD!!!! :eek: What have I done!!! and I just kept on nibbling all day with no bolus and test every hour!! and see 5 / 90 virtually all day. :(

So you think that I was hungry that day..........Errum NO!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter, 14/90 is my target. I would love to be at that level all day. I realize that having to eat so many carbs is not good though. I have not heard of Protaphane. I wonder what would be called in the USA???

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have not heard of Protaphane. I wonder what would be called in the USA???

Richard
I think it would be called NPH I think, It has a cloudy white when rolled or mixed and it has a trough and peak over 24 hours (Or rather 18 hours. :()

It's technical name is Isophane. Different names for other countries. :rolleyes:
I now use Levemir for it's lower doses and if I were to dobble up on that, I would be in deep S***. :eek:
Pens should have a time stamp on what time you have used it last aye Richard? :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A time stamp is a good idea but do you think you will ever see that Peter? Yes, your description sounds exactly like NPH> I used NPH many years and had good A1c's with it and Humalog combined but I also had a roller coaster control. Many highs and lows. I am glad that part of my life is over. I hope you are well Perer.

Is Terrie posting? Maybe on vacation? I hope she is OK.

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
A time stamp is a good idea but do you think you will ever see that Peter?
I think that I will but then will the manufacture would take up this idea? :rolleyes:
Yes, your description sounds exactly like NPH> I used NPH many years and had good A1c's with it and Humalog combined but I also had a roller coaster control. Many highs and lows. I am glad that part of my life is over. I hope you are well Perer.
OK Richard, I do find that insulin brands have a industry name and that's world wide but not the other name are for the country that you live in. :)

Yeah I would think that she's OK and like you say that she is on vacation. A nice girl to see that she has a good time. ;) :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
richard157 said:
anthill said:
Yeah I would think that she's OK and like you say that she is on vacation. A nice girl to see that she has a good time. ;) :D

Hi Boys: ;)

I'm okay, just tired. Thanks for asking. Vacation? Ummm...No. I had mine during the summer although another wouldn't hurt me. I think I mentioned in Reido's thread that my Husband had been in a bad accident. Although we do have help I've been looking after him mainly and trying to do some of the repairs that he was in the middle of. Why just yesterday, I grinded some rust off of our front door, sanded it and painted the whole door. Now my back muscles hurt like heck BUT the door looks Great. :D

Good idea about the pen Peter. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Terrie I am so sorry about your husband! Is the prognosis good? I sure hope so! Don't do too much in the meantime. Stay fit and healthy. Some of those repairs can probably wait ubtil next year.

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Richard:

According to the Surgeon, the prognosis is that my Husband should be up and back to work by Feb./09. My Hubby is hoping a lot sooner. That's Life, eh?

I don't mind doing whatever repairs and other work that I am able to do. We do have other People helping in different areas. Our Son will be over this week also to do some work that my Hubby didn't have time to get to. They usually work together on repairs and renos at both residences.

Thank you. ;) Be Well!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Aww Terrie, I am sorry that your hubby is not the best and geez Feb '09 is a wile and over Christmas too but you can see that we miss you and we love a laugh. :) ;)
I have given the bolus a workout yesterday and today as it's my Birthday and there is some cake somewhere that made me bolus hard and supprized myself that have kept great control!!! :D Now you would want to know how old that I am now, well there is a hint 1961. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts