The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so to start this off just letting every one know i have MAJOR self esteem issues. I've been getting really down on myself lately as since i had been to the doctor and he put me on lantus i have been gaining weight again. It seems like everything from the lantus to my birth control and my Thyroid makes me gain. I exercise every day and eat healthy and i just don't know what to do. I feel lost and i don't even feel like eating anymore (yes i know thats bad and it only makes the weight issue worse). Any suggestions?? I know i am not obesely over weight or anything but it is just a sore area for me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
you say you eat healthy what does that mean? I eat healthy and I eat low carb, I eat under 50 Gr of carbs a day. I eat steak, eggs, cheese, bacon, salad... I dont eat potato, rice, pasta, bread and most fruits.

carbs raise BG ALL carbs raise BG eat more carbs use more insulin on goes the weight, eat less carbs use less insulin off comes the weight.

a bit simple but that is the jist of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you say you eat healthy what does that mean? I eat healthy and I eat low carb, I eat under 50 Gr of carbs a day. I eat steak, eggs, cheese, bacon, salad... I dont eat potato, rice, pasta, bread and most fruits.

carbs raise BG ALL carbs raise BG eat more carbs use more insulin on goes the weight, eat less carbs use less insulin off comes the weight.

a bit simple but that is the jist of it.
Low carb high protein here.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I sympathize! Sometimes, a diet that seems healthy and virtuous can turn out to be fattening. (For me, following my doc's advice would lead to 300 lbs. on the scale, with BGLs to match!) If I may ask, what kinds of foods are you eating?

Edited to Add: OOOPS! Your reply crossed mine. It sounds like you're eating the right stuff. Insulin does slow weight loss down, and some actually gain on it.

I see you're Type 1 ... but you may want to ask your doc about the possibility of insulin resistance. Some 1's develop it, too. I'm also wondering if some changes could be made with your birth control and thyroid meds. (I understand thyroid meds, in particular, often need a lot of tweaking.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try to stick with lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish) Lots of veggies, if i crave anything sweet i eat some form of fruits. non fat cottage cheese......along those lines.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Try to stick with lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish) Lots of veggies, if i crave anything sweet i eat some form of fruits. non fat cottage cheese......along those lines.
It may be that you're getting ambushed by hidden carbs. Most fruits are carby and spiky (drat it all to heck). Foods labeled "non-fat," "light" or "lite" are usually made that way by adding starches and sugars after the fat is removed.

Root veggies, such as carrots and parsnips can be a problem for some of us. So can legumes, such as peanuts, peas and beans. Don't know if that applies to you ... but hey, listing them helps me to remember! :eek:

To be honest, I don't avoid fat. I eat real butter, mayo, cheeses and cream, for example. They don't spike my glucose ... and thanks to their richness, I don't eat as much as I would if I tried to "keep it lite."

To oversimplify, fats don't make us fat -- the body uses fats for energy right away. Carbs, on the other hand, are turned into fat and stored. Counter-intuitive, but I find it works.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I can vouch for the carbs in cottage cheese.

Might try going lower protein, higher fat, too. 65% of protein you consume is turned into glucose.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi PunkRockPrincess! Really sorry to hear about the way you're feeling.

First let me say - in regards to your self-esteem issues - YOU'RE AMAZING!!! I just browsed your crossfit pictures, and you're doing things 99.9% of the population can't do! So I hope you can see that you're as amazing as we think you are!

Second - most advice regarding nutrition for bodybuilding or crossfit or anything similar has been aimed at low-fat/high protein with moderate carbs .... but I found out that I personally slimmed down better and built more muscle substituting more fat for protein. When I doubled my fat calories and reduced my protein intake (I used to eat like 55-60% protein) I built more muscle and shed the pounds easier.

I'm also finding that I also do best on low-carb, but since I enjoy endurance cycling, I do need some carb to help fuel that activity (I have to try to balance it with my own insulin response though...)

My suggestion, if you haven't already tried it, would be to add a few fat calories in and reduce the protein a little bit. I doubt you'd have any issues with maintaining your muscle-mass, and it just might be the key you need to keeping the weight off. You might also see if your lantus dose is higher than it needs to be. Just a thought,

Good luck, we're rooting for you! :cheer2: (we need more masculine cheer emoticons, btw.)

Reactions: Strawberry

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi PunkRockPrincess! Really sorry to hear about the way you're feeling.

First let me say - in regards to your self-esteem issues - YOU'RE AMAZING!!! I just browsed your crossfit pictures, and you're doing things 99.9% of the population can't do! So I hope you can see that you're as amazing as we think you are!

Second - most advice regarding nutrition for bodybuilding or crossfit or anything similar has been aimed at low-fat/high protein with moderate carbs .... but I found out that I personally slimmed down better and built more muscle substituting more fat for protein. When I doubled my fat calories and reduced my protein intake (I used to eat like 55-60% protein) I built more muscle and shed the pounds easier.

I'm also finding that I also do best on low-carb, but since I enjoy endurance cycling, I do need some carb to help fuel that activity (I have to try to balance it with my own insulin response though...)

My suggestion, if you haven't already tried it, would be to add a few fat calories in and reduce the protein a little bit. I doubt you'd have any issues with maintaining your muscle-mass, and it just might be the key you need to keeping the weight off. You might also see if your lantus dose is higher than it needs to be. Just a thought,

Good luck, we're rooting for you! :cheer2: (we need more masculine cheer emoticons, btw.)
hahaha agreed on the emoticons!! and thank you very much for the vote of confidence it means a lot. i try and i just get really frustrated. my diet was going alright till i started the lantus. in fact when i went in to the doc i had gone from 153 to 135 without muscle loss. and that was the day he started me on the lantus. before i had been on humalog and a pump.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sorry I did not see your a T1, protein can raise BG and you have to be insulin resistant using that much insulin. Also known as a double diabetic, your both T1 because you make no insulin and your resistant to it like a T2. You should get some meds to help reduce insulin resistance like Metformen.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
also beefy, if you don't mind me asking whats a day in the normal food intake for you?
It depends on my exercise levels. I'm now down to anywhere between 2700 and 4000 calories.

I had to reduce the intensity of my cycling sessions due to my back problems - so instead of averaging 28km/h or so I'm trying to keep it around 25km/h ... As such I'm not burning as much during a ride as I used to.

On a typical day where I exercise for an hour I'll have about 3,000 calories. 2 hours exercise will see me eat around 3,600 and if I go for three+ hours I'll eat 4,200 or more.

The amount of carb I eat depends on exercise as well. On a rest day I'll eat maybe 50g. On a 1hr exercise day I'll do 75-100g. If riding 2hrs or more, I'll eat up to 150g. I try NOT to eat more than that, unless I'm riding for like 5+ hours - on really long rides I eat about 50g in a pre-ride meal, then 20-30g carb per hour of riding while I ride, then around 50g in a post-ride meal.

I also ALWAYS have protein almost immediately after my workouts - a shake if my workout ends at home, or a no-sugar protein bar if I'm out on the road.

Fat I eat all day. Breakfast is usually bacon or ham with 2 or 3 eggs ... the eggs are cooked in either butter or bacon grease. Mmmmm... If it's a bigger calorie day I add a piece of sprouted-grain toast with peanut butter, and maybe some cheese on the eggs. I usually have a handful of nuts with my protein shakes, lots of mayo and cheese in my wraps, I eat chicken with the skin, nicely marbled steaks seared first in a cast iron pan with butter or oil, etc. etc... Vinaigrette dressings with my salads - or full-fat dressings if another kind, and the list goes on.

Since I upped the fat intake, I'm building muscle in my arms without hardly trying... I notice my tri's really improving, and all I do is pushups 3x a week... Cycling is building my biceps (unheard of for most cyclists) due to the pulling action while climbing... quads are now 27.5 inches... calves 20" ... I'm a freak.

...and my lipid profile is improved since my last 6 month checkup =)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Cycling is building my biceps (unheard of for most cyclists) due to the pulling action while climbing... quads are now 27.5 inches... calves 20" ... I'm a freak.
You are not a freak! You're just built like a brick...ummmm . . . nevermind. :D Where's that picture you posted for us?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My doctor insists that this is better even though i felt way better on the pump. hoping i can talk him into proscribing a new one since my other one broke.
What a strange attitude . . . "better" how, I wonder? You don't feel as good, you're fighting weight gain, and pumps give SO much better control!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My doctor insists that this is better even though i felt way better on the pump. hoping i can talk him into proscribing a new one since my other one broke.
Ahhhhhh ... sounds like one more piece of the puzzle! What is it about some docs, where as soon as you find something that works, they want to shake it up?

Hope he can be made to see reason.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Is the doctor you are going to now the same one you had while on the pump before? If not, and you really like the pump, I would put up a fuss and strongly hint that you want to return to the pump. You're the one who has this d--- diabetes, not the doctor. The doctor doesn't have to put up with the weight gain and the inconvenience of MDI. I don't mean to sound grumpy. It just makes me annoyed when a doctor thinks they know more about our disease than we do. The doctor I used to have told me in no uncertain terms that he would NOT fill out the paperwork necessary for me to have a pump.

Told me I was too old! I asked him if he would dump me as a patient if I went and found a Endocrinologist to prescribe the pump as the Dr. was a GP.......when he said "Yes". I told him good-bye, walked out of the office and never went back. Don't rightly know where I got the nerve to do that, but he made me downright angry. I've been pumping over 3 years and love it. My A1C came down from 8.7 to 6.5 and I'm working to maintain or get that number down.

Btw.......you sound like a lovely young lady.

Reactions: Shalynne
1 - 20 of 27 Posts