The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you get diagnosed with diabetes, aside from the lifestyle change, the one thing that is very evident is the increase in medical bills. I know it maybe a problem to some and I am happy that diabetes is treated as a very common disease that they make so much meds to make it available to anyone in an affordable price. Metformin for one is like 1.60 Philippine peso. So its like 27 tabs of Metformin for a dollar here (1$ is 44 php). But of course, not everything is cheap.

The strips here costs about $30 (converted) per 50 pcs. Now that 50 pcs, sometimes I consume within 2 weeks or so and that's because I'm testing a lot to see what kinds of carbs I can still eat. And it also shows that I CARE about my diabetes.

Being a student and all means that I don't have a job and I am only relying on my parents. Everything. From my lancets to my insulin and to my strips, they all buy it for me. I know, I should be thankful.

But what hurts the most is the times when they tend to rant about me having a disease that's too expensive to manage. I cry every time I hear that. After that, I tend to skin on my blood checking simple because I want my supply of strips to last and I wanna lift some burden on my Mother's chest and not let her talk like that anymore. If i'm feeling pretty high on my glucose, I just close my eyes and pretend it's not there rather than checking and technically 'wasting' strips in my Mother's eyes.

I shall get a part time job, you say? First of all, it's not that easy getting a part time job here since there are a lot of out of school youths who tend to get in those positions faster. Me, I'm just waiting for my graduation this coming october and if I do get a job, I am willing to spend most of that for my diabetes. I have my eye on any CGM I can get my hands on.

Speaking of CGM. The time when I discovered that there's really an existing CGM I waited for my mom to get home and talked to to her about this. I said "Ma! May nakita ako sa internet. Ichecheck nya yung blood sugar ko constantly, every 5 minutes nang hindi na gumagamit ng strips"

Translation: "Mom! I saw something in the internet. It's a device that's gonna check my bloodsugar every 5 minutes without having to use my one-touch very often."

She replied with a sign of relieve. "Oh goood! We spend so much on your strips, this is going to be cheaper."

I stopped and looked away. Cheaper? It's $1400. I just abandoned that dream of getting that very useful device.

Also, if I do get a part time job, do you know how much we get payed? Freaking 300 php a day. And that's six freaking dollars. A DAY.

But don't get me wrong, our family is not that poor. We are actually Chicken Retailers that carries more or less 10,000 live chicken's daily. But I guess My mom would rather spend he hard earned money on curtains and other linens than help me in my disease.

I'm sorry if this looks like a rant. I just want to know if there have also been instances like this in your life. I want to know if there are others there like me just to lift this burden in my chest.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes there is and I can remember my mom saying the same sort of things and I told her once that I could just die if living was going to cost to much. Then she felt bad and said that it wasn't me that she just felt like we were being taken advantage of because we had to have that stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hm... Can't even imagine how hard that sort of lifestyle is... I am a student as well, but the finansial part is much much easyer.

All the insulin I need, I get for free. So I just get a perscription from the doctor and pick it up at the pharmacy. Also I get 75 free test strips every month (I just wait 2 months to get 150 in one go) and they cost ~60LTL (arround $24) each. I do have a small job as a helper (not full time) on a project and get $151 USD for it (~375LTL) and another $109 (270LTL) from the goverment (used to be twice as much before I had the job so tehre is no benefit from that...)

Althouh a part of that money goes elswere (mainly when I have to pay for my studies at the university, but they are only 520LTL per semester)

·
Registered
40 Posts
The goverment covers it for us. And if they didn't take it away if you are under 19 and are at school or uni you get 10 infusions for an insulin pump.

Then again, there aren't that many diabetics here. Not sure how it's for T2 but I think they do get 25 test strips a month and I believe meds aren't covered. So it's mostly us T1s that are covered.

The money comes from the tax payers and yes, our country is in debt, but we are hardly the source :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts