The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Easiest way to increase your calories is to favour real whole foods (rather than focus on "nutrition") that come already balanced from nature... chicken with the skin on, full-fat cheese, regular ground beef, cold-water fish, raw nuts, avocados, butter, cream, green leafy vegetables etc...

Ideally use the best sources for real whole food food that you can: farmer's markets for fresh green produce, grass-fed beef etc... avoiding processed and packaged "foods" which tend to come with too many refined/concentrated sugars and starches.

Prepare meals at home more often than not.

As above there is no need to avoid natural fats (even saturated -- which is the way we store fat on our own bodies) but I personally skip the man-made vegetable oils as these tend to be industrially processed and unbalanced with too many omega 6s... these are pro-inflammatory.

I (like every other animal on the planet) do not count calories, nor do I count carbs, fat or protein these days; as I have established through BG testing which foods are best to help me manage my BG levels.
Hi Frank, quick question.

I can see your reasoning for avoiding man-made vegetable oils, but does this include extra virgin olive oil? I know even though EVOO has many reported benefits (among them anti-inflammatory), but the omega 6 to omega 3 ration is very high at about 16:1.

I'm adapting to the LCHF diet with great results, but still have a few kinks to work out. Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.