The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had rheumatoid arthritis for several years and when I have a flare I have to take a 5 day treatment of prednesone. I was diagnosed with diabetes in September and this is my first round since then. My BG has gotten very high, 325, but it is 90 first thing in the morning. I take 25 units of lantus at bedtime. I have lost weight, on a low carb diet and I walk. I called the doctor and he said since it is so short term, I should be OK just doing with I normally do and it will go back down after the treatment. I live in Central America in a country named Belize and most drugs are over the counter so I thought I might need an interim med for this but I am so thankful that I don't have to do anything different and it isn't a big concern to the doctor in the USA.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think a 5 day treatment with Prednisone should be OK. You might want to watch your carbs a little so you don't get too high. My elderly dad is on a daily dose of prenisone to prevent swelling in his retinas. He got diabetes because of being on it long term.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Because of a Sciatic condition that really flares up on me, I am put of a 6 day regimen of Prednisone. It always bumps up the BG but I know that ahead of time. I adjust my diet and add more basal insulin. It beats being bedridden and being unable to function.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Because of several injuries while in high school, I get plantar faciitis. I get a six day pred pack to handle the inflammation. My doc told me not to test for the first three days since the roids will cause false high readings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been within my prescribed range the last 2 days except very high this morning with my fast test but it's decent right now. I have found a small glass of red wine before bed gives me lower readings in the morning and I didn't drink that glass last night. I don't even like wine but it really seems to make a difference.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I have had rheumatoid arthritis for several years and when I have a flare I have to take a 5 day treatment of prednesone. I was diagnosed with diabetes in September and this is my first round since then. My BG has gotten very high, 325, but it is 90 first thing in the morning. I take 25 units of lantus at bedtime. I have lost weight, on a low carb diet and I walk. I called the doctor and he said since it is so short term, I should be OK just doing with I normally do and it will go back down after the treatment. I live in Central America in a country named Belize and most drugs are over the counter so I thought I might need an interim med for this but I am so thankful that I don't have to do anything different and it isn't a big concern to the doctor in the USA.
I HAVE RA BUT MY MOTHER HAS DIABETES. SHE HAD COMPLICATIONS WITH PREDNISOLONE AND HAD GLAUCOMA. COMBINATION OF DIABETIS AND RA IS NOT ENTIRELY GOOD BECAUSE EXCESS WEIGHT CAUSE IMMFLATION FOR BOTH DISEASES. MY MOTHERS DIABETES HAS REVERSED WITH DIET AND HAIWAIN SPIRULINA PACIFICA POWDER AND SOURCE NATURAL CHLORELLA. SHE USED HALLELUJAH DIET. CHECK amazon.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
David Burke said:
Because of several injuries while in high school, I get plantar faciitis. I get a six day pred pack to handle the inflammation. My doc told me not to test for the first three days since the roids will cause false high readings.
Plantor Facitis - nasty, I suffer from this from time to time - OMG what pain it is :-/

·
Registered
42 Posts
steroids are nasty. I wonder if long term use of them helped hurry my diabetes along although when I mentioned this I was shushed by the dr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts