The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got my hands on my results today and, to be frank, I am sorely disappointed.

I have been doing the LCHF woe strictly since March 2011, I exercise a minimum of 5 days a week, stopped smoking in January, don't drink and yet I still have not got my HbA1c under 6.0 - today's result. I can't try any harder - I am so gutted. I was so sure I was going to be there this time.

Needless to say the doctor gave me short thrift too when I didn't jump up and down in delight. Definitely, no help coming from that direction to get into the 5s.

:pout:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am so sorry for your disappointment 6 is still a great result, what was your previous A1C?
I know how hard it is to do your best & give it all you've got but not get the result you were hoping for
Didn't you go through a period of high FBG's ?
Also who knows what's happening while we are asleep or just between meals when we're not testing
I'm sure the changes & sacrifices you've made have been beneficial to your health, you may not be seeing that right now but I'm sure it's paying off & you Will see those benefits down the track
Please don't be disheartened just keep testing & checking your log & keep going
Good luck & lots of hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Clea, for what little it's worth . . . "snap". I was hoping to get into the 5% club last time too, but here I am hung up at 6 also. All we can do is the best we can do, so I just keep eating my low carb & high fats - trying to keep plenty of fluids going in and kicking myself in the pants to exercise. Whatever has snagged us has gotta give way eventually, right?! You hacked that number down a long ways already, so it'll have to drop some more with time.

Stay the course - we'll have to keep each other strong here. :hug:

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
As you might know some of us are "high glycators". We make higher amounts of glucose from the carbs in the system. Then again there are peaks in our 24 hr BG profile that we might completely miss. I can understand the agony of missing personal goals when a lot of passion is involved. But - Congrats on getting 6.0
In my opinion it is a great number. There is nothing that a 5.7 can guarantee which the 6.0 cannot.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all, it is so good to have friends who understand. xx

Right, am going to put it on the back burner until the New Year, all packed up and getting ready to get en route to my sister in the North of England... Low carb all the way, of course. Much love to all for a joyous one :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
We create some psychological magic about 5's, but I'm with SKB about a 5.7 not guaranteeing something a 6.0 cannot - well-said. I understand the disappointment, I'd have it too, but that doesn't take away from the awesome job you've done. There are scads of people reading this who're envious of your 6.0 - it's a good number. And it will come down. It will.

This game is a process and you're solidly on the right path. Kudos for staying the course the way that you have.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I noticed you are only taking 1500 mg of metformin. I had to raise mine to 2550 before I saw my HbA1c went below 6 even though I was doing a LC diet. Also many do varying levels of LC diet. Sometimes lowering your carb threshold or increasing fat can lower bgs somewhat. It is about the right balance. That being said 6 is still a good number when you are diabetic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few years ago when I posted a 5.9 A1c and my Doctor about had a cow. He listened to me describe how I did it, and he just shook his head and replied - "I have 3000 patients of which 10% are diabetic....not even 10 of those would do what you are doing in order to control bg! - therefore, I prescribe something that will get them to under 7.0 and hope for the best". A pretty defeatest attitude, but I have found it is shared by most doctors in my area.

...and he is the best Doctor I have found, because at least he is not a blocker, if you want to follow an agressive treatment. The last visit he told me that there are now about 10 under his care that do similar things as I do. I am an engineer, and he told me that most of them were engineers like myself. However, you don't have to be an engineer, you just need a belief that all things can be managed with a good process.

....a 6.0 is a very good reading and it wouldn't hurt you at all to stay at the level for a long time, even if you can't ever acheive a 5.xxx. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: NotBubba

·
Registered
782 Posts
I reckon you had a 5.95 they rounded up. Yeah, that's it. :D

Reactions: Darbro and NotBubba

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
So, got my hands on my results today and, to be frank, I am sorely disappointed.

I have been doing the LCHF woe strictly since March 2011, I exercise a minimum of 5 days a week, stopped smoking in January, don't drink and yet I still have not got my HbA1c under 6.0 - today's result. I can't try any harder - I am so gutted. I was so sure I was going to be there this time.

Needless to say the doctor gave me short thrift too when I didn't jump up and down in delight. Definitely, no help coming from that direction to get into the 5s.

Your 6 is still a great number. As the others have said, there is no magic line that says 5.9 is wonderful and 6 not so - round off error - whoops, someone already said that :)

Look at your other numbers too - a nice steady improvement in the lipid profile - that's worth something too!

As you say, it's holiday time - take a few days to relax and unwind - 2012 WILL BE your 5% year - no problem. :)

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know just how you feel. I was first diagnosed as type 2 16 months ago at 6.4 a1c. I have taken it seriously from the beginning but have been on a journey to find what works for me. Was initially given the advice by the doctors diabetic educator to eat 180-220 carbs per day. From the get go I was shocked at this high number. I have struggled to lower my a1c and could not get below 6.0 either, til this last lab. Woo, hoo...finally 5.8. Like everyone has said, not much difference between a 5.8 or a 6.0, but it is nice to see finally. I think what has really worked is I use strictly coconut oil and butter for everything. Also have finally lowered my carbs (thanks to reading the posts on this board!!) to 40-50 carbs per day. Keep it up, you will get there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a note, 6.0 is something a lot of my friends would DREAM to be able to achieve as most of them can't even cope with the fact they have diabetes.
Just some perspective might help your frustration, I also understand how hard you have tried to get it perfect, but you've done the best you could which is all that you can do.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I hope your friends get serious about their diabetes, Chris, because dreaming about a good A1c is sure not going to save their sight or their feet/legs. The thought of losing my eyesight is enough to keep me on the fairly straight & narrow. Others here actually ARE losing their vision, and it's a horrible price to pay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope your friends get serious about their diabetes, Chris, because dreaming about a good A1c is sure not going to save their sight or their feet/legs. The thought of losing my eyesight is enough to keep me on the fairly straight & narrow. Others here actually ARE losing their vision, and it's a horrible price to pay.
Sorry I should I have rephrased this, they don't 'dream' as such it's just they are struggling to reach their current goals of being under a 9.0 for a HB1c they are also type 1 diabetics.
My Hb1c's are great but it's because I came to the realization straight away when I was diagnosed with t1 diabetes where as lot of others are still in denial.
I know they're in trouble as some of them have been hospitalized a few times due to high readings multiple times.
Unfortunately this is a common trend for young teenagers in Australian who are really struggling with their type 1 diabetes as I'm sure it is in many countries as well.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Clea, Clea, Clea! You'll always be a 5 in my books ;-) Seriously though, think about it for a while, because you and I had very similar beginnings with this darned D! Now....you gave quit smoking! You weigh less and look great! You exercise! You have likely increased your lifespan greatly by making those changes that were necessary for you to gain control over your diabetes! You're a great person and a fantastic friend and you need to step back, live your life and stop fretting over a number that isn't going to have any kind of determination over your health. Enjoy your holiday at your sister's home and when the holidays are over, we'll all be right here waiting for you and we'll move on together.

Now... I believe Shanny called Snap on your 6, so whatcha gonna do about it?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
High five Shanny? Thanks for your support :^)

·
Registered
716 Posts
1970clea said:

Its a great goal to get under 6 but I think you should be very very happy to be at that level. It's a great result. The best I've done is a 6.6 and things are not looking good right now for my next test. I have watched your morning numbers with a green hue on my face. I think your doing GREAT

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its a great goal to get under 6 but I think you should be very very happy to be at that level. It's a great result. The best I've done is a 6.6 and things are not looking good right now for my next test. I have watched your morning numbers with a green hue on my face. I think your doing GREAT
Thanks, now I have had a while to chew on it I do agree with you. I do tend to be a bit of a neat freak/perfectionist/obsessive pain in most things that I do and it seems to have spilled over into this as well. This disease is so individual as well, you can do exactly the same as another diabetic with very different results, but we all still judge ourselves against others successes. If I could share my fastings with you I would :)

Reactions: muck
1 - 20 of 27 Posts