The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to one of those free screenings the other day and had my HbA1c test done on a TrueTrack meter. It came out to 6.7. I was totally bummed out. I have been really stict with my diet and my highest reading on my meter at 1 hour are 125 max and usually a lot lower. 2 hour numbers are usually 110 or usually under 100. I've been doing some research on high glycators and low glycators and find that people with very different bg profiles have the same HbA1c. I hear people spiking to 160 or 170 with fastings in the 130's and they seem to have lower HbA1c's than me. I had a period last summer where I had high bgs due to a bad statin reaction. I stopped the statin in August and most of the inflammation was gone by October. Could this still be influencing my HbA1c?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The A1c takes your total glucose control into account for an approximate three month period. At least half of the A1c is based on the third month, and very little on the first month. There was a time when I had a lot of highs for about six weeks while adjusting to pumping in 2007. Then I had very good control for the next six weeks. That was a total of three months, and my next A1c was based on those three months. The A1c was 5.7. If the first six weeks had carried much weight, the A1c would have been much higher.

Your meter average is based on spot checks at the particular time you test. There may be many higher numbers at times you did not test. If those were included then your meter average would be significantly higher. The A1c includes your total picture, so the highs you do not see on your meter are very much involved on the A1c report.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard,

Most of my readings have been very good and on purpose sometimes I check at 1 hour after meals. I usually do the last check around midnight before bed and I am up around 7am. So the only time I am not checking would be those 7 hours. So if it is spiking it is coming back down pretty consistently. Over the holidays I probably did eat a few more treats than I normally did and we did go out to eat several times with family and friends. But fasting was always close to 100 or so. I found several threads on Tudiabetes over the years of others who had similar problems with HbA1c results significantly higher than meters. Gretchen Becker even said she wore a CGMS to verify her meter results. I guess the HbA1c is not the Gold Standard I always thought it was.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have read that the A1c is based on "blood plasma" and some meters are based on "whole blood". Plasma numbers run higher than whole blood. I have seen posts saying this is sometimes the explanation.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I went to one of those free screenings the other day and had my HbA1c test done on a TrueTrack meter. It came out to 6.7. I was totally bummed out. I have been really stict with my diet and my highest reading on my meter at 1 hour are 125 max and usually a lot lower. 2 hour numbers are usually 110 or usually under 100. I've been doing some research on high glycators and low glycators and find that people with very different bg profiles have the same HbA1c. I hear people spiking to 160 or 170 with fastings in the 130's and they seem to have lower HbA1c's than me. I had a period last summer where I had high bgs due to a bad statin reaction. I stopped the statin in August and most of the inflammation was gone by October. Could this still be influencing my HbA1c?
Where did you have the test done? Blood testing outside the lab usually brings about different A1C readings. I know I have done some Bayer home A1C testing and that testing always showed a lower A1C than my doctor's lab. So I stopped the store bought A1C.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was done at our local Giant Eagle Pharmacy. It was the first one that I had done with one of those kits. My last HbA1c was 5.9 last Spring. I did probably overeat over Christmas and bgs were a little higher but nothing higher than 115 or so and 2 hour pp numbers around 125. I've been doing some late night readings and actually find I am in the 60's before bed, so I have been having to eat a 1/2 of an Extend Bar to prevent lows. I am going to experiment with lowering my Metformin by one dose a day dropping it to 1700 mg. I wonder how accurate those store screenings are. I had just gotten off the tennis court playing 2 hours of tough tennis. I don't know if that would have raised it. I do spike when I exercise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Meter, HA1c Inconsistent

I've had this problem for a couple of years. I've tested my blood glucose hundreds of times, at all times of the day and night, and with different, but consistent, meters. The average reading is around 100. Nevertheless, my HA1c over this period, measured on a dozen or more occasions, has been around 6.0. There's no question in my mind that the two measures are inconsistent. The question for me is, which is a better guide for my behavior and health?

·
Registered
30 Posts
why-hemoglobin-a1c-is-not-a-reliable-marker

Thanks Richard,

Most of my readings have been very good and on purpose sometimes I check at 1 hour after meals. I usually do the last check around midnight before bed and I am up around 7am. So the only time I am not checking would be those 7 hours. So if it is spiking it is coming back down pretty consistently. Over the holidays I probably did eat a few more treats than I normally did and we did go out to eat several times with family and friends. But fasting was always close to 100 or so. I found several threads on Tudiabetes over the years of others who had similar problems with HbA1c results significantly higher than meters. Gretchen Becker even said she wore a CGMS to verify her meter results. I guess the HbA1c is not the Gold Standard I always thought it was.

Why hemoglobin A1c is not a reliable marker

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I've had this problem for a couple of years. I've tested my blood glucose hundreds of times, at all times of the day and night, and with different, but consistent, meters. The average reading is around 100. Nevertheless, my HA1c over this period, measured on a dozen or more occasions, has been around 6.0. There's no question in my mind that the two measures are inconsistent. The question for me is, which is a better guide for my behavior and health?
IMO, neither! They essentially measure the same thing, each in their own sloppy way. But is this really the most important measure?

Once there are no more blatantly high (of low, I guess) BG readings, then the priority should be to minimize insulin. This means minimizing the amount of glucose processed. In many cases and at many stages the two goals are more or less the same: reduce carbs and protein in the diet to restrict incoming glucose.

But, once BG is in the "normal" range - and I think we still need a lot of work and data to determine exactly what that really is in this context - then a better primary focus would be total insulin/total glucose. At some points, this not the same as focusing on just reducing circulating (excess) glucose and may require different actions.

For example, many people find they can get a single troublesome number down by eating a few additional carbs, e.g. dawn numbers. Of course, this causes an insulin response bringing circulating glucose down. Now, a nice happy AM number. HOWEVER, if they were getting anything under 120 or even 140 - numbers probably insignificant and not sources of any harm in and of themselves - was this really a good idea? I don't think so.

Unfortunately, we don't have home insulin meters or any way other than counting foods to estimate total glucose throughput but with whatever means we have, I think this should be the prime focus for optimum health.

I don't believe a 6.0 is anything at all to be concerned about. If I had a choice between 6.0 processing less glucose and a 5.0 processing more glucose, I'd take the former in a heartbeat. See the recent post about "B cells" (not to be confused with "beta cells"). It really supports this theory.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My single result taken came in y'day from my doctor as HBA1C at 5.8....again.
Same as January'13. He asked me to come in, I thought it was too soon.
The issue was more the cholesterol which he didnt test for. This annoyed me immensely, as this was the thorn over the statin. He says he will test my cholesterol in 4-6 months after taking the Ezetrol, which I refuse to take.

I had hoped that my hba1c would have been lowered, but the above reports explains my number I guess.

Thankyou.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts