The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I'v got my cholesterol resuls. And the biggest change from last month is decreased HDL - from 68 to 58 mg/dl. I suppose the reason is some change in the diet. Could it be one of this changes:
- biggest change - I'v started eating flax bread (made with grape seed oil and eggs) and stopped eating crispbread (reducing carbs to very low ammounts),
- I eat a little less nuts (mostly hazelnuts). I eat almond butter the same as before,
- possibly I eat more chocolate (90% cocoa)
?
I thing all other foods are the same as month and two month ago when HDL was higher (mostly vegetables often with olive oil, chicken, cheese, sausage, sometimes fish, eggs). Any advice how to return to higher HDL levels would be appreciated. I'm thinkig of changing grape seed oil to canola oil for bread and maybe to some animal fat for frying but I need to do more reading.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My HDL has been increasing, up 22 points in 6 months, and I attribute it to eating a high-fat diet now. I eat a lot of avocado, nuts, butter, cream, olive oil, coconut oil, bacon ...

I'm hardly a lipid expert - it remains a mystery to me how and when numbers move, though I'm sure the high fat was instrumental, and likely losing some weight. Exercise is helpful in raising HDL though there wasn't a big enough change in that to be causal in my case.

Reactions: Mary

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
keep in mind that everyone is different

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My HDL is slowing climbing too, and I agree with Moon, that higher fats consumption helps. Besides my low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating, I take omega-3 (fish oil) gel-caps 1000 IU x 2.

I would caution against switching to canola oil or other highly processed vegetable oils - these products are truly not safe for human consumption, given the extreme measures taken to extract ever last drop (& dollar). They are rancid by the time they come through the process, and then must be deodorized & clarified to be acceptable. Better choices are virgin coconut oil or olive oil.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have always had high HDL. I attribute it to eating fats like Coconut Oil, real organic butter and beef at least 2 x per week. I also drink red wine at night. My last HDL was 89. The only time it went down was when I was on a Statin drug.

Also exercise seems to help.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My LDL runs low -- and that is attributable to my hypothyroidism, I am told.

I have done a lot to try to bring it up and nothing really ever works.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I have done a lot to try to bring it up and nothing really ever works.
Hey - want some of mine? I'm all about donations ..

Reactions: Mary

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Besides my low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating, I take omega-3 (fish oil) gel-caps 1000 IU x 2.
I know this is an old thread, ma'am, but do you mind if I ask - did you find a great deal of success with the fish oil and raising HDL? Just got my lipid panel back. Everything's in the normal range except HDL is too low. Many thanks.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I know this is an old thread, ma'am, but do you mind if I ask - did you find a great deal of success with the fish oil and raising HDL? Just got my lipid panel back. Everything's in the normal range except HDL is too low. Many thanks.
Patience I think is the key here. My first couple of months on LC my HDL actually went down. I wouldn't try and do too much too quickly with lipids. Just let your body work itself out.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Thanks David. I have so much to deal with right now, I totally didn't need to see anything out of range on that report. If I wanted to do the minimal, that would be adding more heart healthy fats, right?

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Thanks David. I have so much to deal with right now, I totally didn't need to see anything out of range on that report. If I wanted to do the minimal, that would be adding more heart healthy fats, right?
Probably but remember each of us is different. Take your time and experiment. No need to try and get everything perfect at the get go. Too much stress involved, and we all know how stress screws with us ;). Just relax and take pride in what you've done so far and keep doing that for now. It's working :)

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Thanks. I feel better about it. I have been working so hard to stay in safe ranges, that I really didn't need something else to worry about. :(

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Thanks. I feel better about it. I have been working so hard to stay in safe ranges, that I really didn't need something else to worry about. :(
What's the advice that's typically given? Oh yeah. Eat to your meter and the rest will take care of itself. Right?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Yes, thanks. I have been eating to my meter for almost 4 months now. I was just surprised when something came back out of range, with cholesterol, since I am eating LCHF and to my meter. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Mary . . . HDL is dastardly hard to move, at least for me. I got mine up to 51 several years ago, but it's down again, and I think my most recent reading was 38. :(

I haven't added back my supplements, since my bout of torpor and going off all my meds last year, but once I get a handle on getting all prescription meds down every single day, fish oil will be the first supplement I add back.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Thanks. I think I've already given up on any specific remedy, even though I just found out the results. My lab reports get posted online, but my doctor hasn't actually said anything about the results yet. I am going to keep low carbing, maybe adding more healthy fats, and hope for the best. I figure there's not much more I can do at this point. I may look into the supplement idea. I figure it probably can't hurt. I've also heard really good things about fish oil. I am going to research it a little more.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Hi Mary . . . HDL is dastardly hard to move, at least for me. I got mine up to 51 several years ago, but it's down again, and I think my most recent reading was 38. :(
My last chol. test showed my HDL down to 43 from 54 last year. This is not a good trend. So I went looking online for advice to naturally raise HDL. I've already been eating LCHF for a couple years.

Here's what I read here: How to Raise HDL Naturally - Prevention - Heart Disease

And the simple measures I'm taking which are all doable for me:

green tea - several cups a day

vit. D - increasing what i've been taking

eating more fish - 2-3 times a week (wild-caught salmon, waterpacked tuna and salmon - from health-food stores, and possibly sardines)

fish oil - I ordered Salmon oil because I'm alleric to cod (yeah, I know, what am I NOT allergic to!!) and will take it a couple times a week.

dark chocolate - one 70% square a day (this is soooo difficult!!!.... not!)

exercise - increasing my walking from a slow 1/2 mile to a more brisk 3/4 to on mile (most I can do with my other physical limitations).

Wine - 2 glasses a day (this I am not doing - don't like wine, and even a little bit of it makes me flush and sleepy)

--------

All these things are something that can be done without much difficulty. I make a pot of three-tea-bags of green tea with mint in the morning and drink it off and on until it's gone. The rest are easily part of my regular diet.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
My last chol. test showed my HDL down to 43 from 54 last year. This is not a good trend. So I went looking online for advice to naturally raise HDL. I've already been eating LCHF for a couple years.

Here's what I read here: How to Raise HDL Naturally - Prevention - Heart Disease

And the simple measures I'm taking which are all doable for me:

green tea - several cups a day

vit. D - increasing what i've been taking

eating more fish - 2-3 times a week (wild-caught salmon, waterpacked tuna and salmon - from health-food stores, and possibly sardines)

fish oil - I ordered Salmon oil because I'm alleric to cod (yeah, I know, what am I NOT allergic to!!) and will take it a couple times a week.

dark chocolate - one 70% square a day (this is soooo difficult!!!.... not!)

exercise - increasing my walking from a slow 1/2 mile to a more brisk 3/4 to on mile (most I can do with my other physical limitations).

Wine - 2 glasses a day (this I am not doing - don't like wine, and even a little bit of it makes me flush and sleepy)

--------

All these things are something that can be done without much difficulty. I make a pot of three-tea-bags of green tea with mint in the morning and drink it off and on until it's gone. The rest are easily part of my regular diet.
You might want to consider flax seed oil capsules if fish oil may be a problem.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
You might want to consider flax seed oil capsules if fish oil may be a problem.
I have taken this in the past - it worked wonders for hot-flashes :p

From what I've read, the Omega3 in flax has to be converted by the body before it's useful - and this doesn't make the result of very good quality (or something like that). Fish oil is much better than flax oil. My only concern is the mercury from so much fish and fish oil.

I wonder if all the flaxseed I eat in Optimist crackers contributes any omega3?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts