The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its deadly for dogs. :director:

I know someone s Great Dane got hold of some gum with it in it. That 150lb dog died from it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh no! Good thing I can't use that specific sweetener due to it being a sugar alcohol. My system does not handle the sugar alcohols well. Oh, poor Big doggy. That would break my heart!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Are you sure it was the fake sugar which killed the dog or intestinal blockage from all that gum?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Chocolate is also deadly for dogs. My sister had a dog get into her kids Easter Candy and the poor dog died.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's all absolutely true . . . watch out for s/f puddings too - specifically the Jello ones in a tub. Our furballs love puddings, and it's tough if Waylon can lick the dish but Fritz can't . . . :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed! My dog is just under 60 pounds. He was being very lathargic and would not go into the sit position. He was not following me around "like a puppy dog". This was soooo unlike him so I took him to the vet after about 24 hours of exhibiting the behaivor. She kept him for the day while I went to work. She took a look-see through his poop and found a gum wrapper from Stride gum. I am positive he just got the wrapper and did not eat the gum itself. Stride does not list xylitol on the wrapper but the vet knew that it is one of the brands that does include it. She did blood work to check on his kidneys and all was well. He was back to himself after another day. I can not imagine what would have happened if he actually ate the gum itself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts