The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've recently been to visit a dietician. She recommended that my entire daily intake of carbs should be no more than 50g... this seems a little bit ludicrous and unrealistic to me. I am not obese, and my readings are now quite good.

I'm wondering if this is actually valid? I'd been to see a dietitian over a year ago and she recommended 3-4 servings of carbohydrates per meal... which seems much more realistic to me.

Thank you,
Cara-Joy

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi there,

I've recently been to visit a dietician. She recommended that my entire daily intake of carbs should be no more than 50g...
Geez!!! That is if you want to loose weight and you are already thin. That is very odd. I would look at a better diet too. ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Cara, a carb serving is 15 grams, unless I am badly mistaken. So 3-4 carb servings per meal would be 45-60 grams per meal and 135-180 carbs per day. If you add snacks to that you could be eating over 200 grams per day. That is way too much. I am a 218 pound man (33 pounds overweight) and I eat only 130 carbs per day. If you ate 30 grams (2 carb servings) per meal that would be 90 grams per day. You could then have 40 grams with snacks giving a total of 130 grams per day. that is what I do and it works well for me. You need to experiment and find what works well for you. Certainly 50 grams per day sounds unhealthy unless the dietitian is suggesting you starve yourself to lose weight. Our bodies need carbs for nourishment and energy to get through the day. With only 50 grams you would probably become very fatigued after a few days. I know a dietitian who says we need at least 130 grams per day for us to have the necessary energy we require. I know a few people who function at 90 or 100 per day but their jobs involve sitting for most of the day. they don't need as much energy. Your life style enters the picture here.

Good luck to you!

Richard

·
Registered
211 Posts
Their statistics claim that diabetics taking more insulin than 60 units/day will die sooner so why should we insure them. I had nothing to say to disprove those figures. Stats don't lie.
It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

SunniD

and why would one die sooner if he needs more than 60 units a day? I'm above that number now, but I do need that amoutn of insulin. This is scary information, since I know many type 2's that use more than 120 units a day....I'm a type 1 myself

·
Registered
99 Posts
Insurance companies in the states and few in Canada will insure diabetes clients if they use less than 60 units of insulin daily which I thought was highly interesting according to their statistics. Their statistics claim that diabetics taking more insulin than 60 units/day will die sooner so why should we insure them. I had nothing to say to disprove those figures. Stats don't lie.

SunniD
I have never seen that 60 U of insulin thing.

It is absurd!

I use about 65 u a day, my average A1c for last year was 5.02, with a Standard Deviation of 14.

Not one diabetic in 10,000 does as well as me, according to my doctor.

Results are what affects your chances of complications, average glucose and variability, not what you did to get the results!

There was a book published many years ago with the title
"How to lie with Statistics"

-Lloyd

·
Registered
663 Posts
I will fall miserably in the "Too much insulin" catastrophe as I can use 200 Units a day. :(:( I need to marry a girl who can teach me to eat low carb or entice me to dance again. :eek:
There is no way that I can get below 60!!! Now way known!!!!! :mad::mad::confused: What can I do??? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Insurance companies in the states and few in Canada will insure diabetes clients if they use less than 60 units of insulin daily which I thought was highly interesting according to their statistics. Their statistics claim that diabetics taking more insulin than 60 units/day will die sooner so why should we insure them. I had nothing to say to disprove those figures. Stats don't lie.

SunniD

That is shocking and ridiculous. I haven't heard of this here or anywhere. I would like to see where that is written. I would have asked them where they got those stats from. Stats can be exaggerated just like everything else in this world. Many things can affect the results. It also depends on who produced the stats and who is offering out the information. Hmmmm....yes it sure does.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I will fall miserably in the "Too much insulin" catastrophe as I can use 200 Units a day. :(:( I need to marry a girl who can teach me to eat low carb or entice me to dance again. :eek:
There is no way that I can get below 60!!! Now way known!!!!! :mad::mad::confused: What can I do??? :confused::confused:
Well, I suggest that you marry that Girl soon then Peter. ;) You know, what you shouldn't be eating or at least eat less of the foods that you do. And drink your water. By Georgie, if I have to go to Australia....God help you. :D

You don't need to take less than 60 units of Insulin but you DO need to take less than 200 and still be in decent control by low-carbing and exercise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Water Water must have some Water.

Terrie has said
Well, I suggest that you marry that Girl soon then Peter. ;) You know, what you shouldn't be eating or at least eat less of the foods that you do. And drink your water. By Georgie, if I have to go to Australia....God help you. :D

Gee Terrie, That's one thing that I do and drink water, Plenty of it!! :eek: in ballet it was the very first thing that the teacher said drink water & plenty of it! plus a towel and in my case a jar of jelly beans too. :( And she also said to be happy. :) And I did but those were the days when diabetes were not understood sadly. There were good days. :D:rolleyes:

I am sorry that I had to bring up ballet Terrie, It's an ocupation that I had and so enjoyed in doing. :eek::eek:

You don't need to take less than 60 units of Insulin but you DO need to take less than 200 and still be in decent control by low-carbing and exercise.

Yes Terrie and that I have done and now that I am into counting the carbohydrates and the exercise is another thing that I have to increase. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on 30 grams/day

Hi all - I just wanted to say that I am on a total of 30g/day (No grains etc., legumes, only peas, carrots, beets, no fruit except berries).

I admit that the first day it was prescribed, I cried, and cried for all the foods I would no longer be able to eat and from confusion as to whether this was even right or safe. However, I had to admit that I had tried EVERYTHING else. Low calorie, low fat, fasts, cleanses and some really other stupid stuff. I still had a fatty liver, high cholesterol, kidney issues, female issues etc. to no avail. So i decided to give it a concerted effort.

I WAS BLOWN AWAY (now I will sound like an infomercial - SHAM WOW!). Within a week, I had great energy, no brain fog and very consistent numbers. My most recent labs reported lowered cholesterol (FINALLY - after two years of effort), and my LIVER ALT's are finally within normal range. I have now been on it since last August (6 months) and I will not go back. I do admit that I have found I can cheat occassionally and get away with it.

I really don't miss being tired, worn out, weak and dizzy...

That being said, i DO get bored, so I have to keep it interesting. My biggest rewards were getting bacon, cheese and sour cream back in my diet!

AS long as you received this info from a source you feel is reputable, I don't think it's bunk. I got this diet from my naturopath who is himself a Type 1 diabetic and follows it exclusively. This has VERY MUCH worked for me.

Okay, ADVERT over.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
P.S.

Don't forget that things like eggs and cheese have very LOW carbs. Most meats have zero, many vegetables have extremely few, same as nuts and seeds - therefore, if you plan well, low carb should in NO WAY = starving. You still get a lot of food.

If I decide to add in low-carb bread or NSA/Low CARB ice cream (yes, it exists and it's yummy!) then of course, I have to be careful with the rest of my day. But I am always full.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have recently tried the Dr. Berstein thing. (Type 2 recently rediagnosed). It seemed to bring my blood sugars down immediately. As soon as I eat a questionable carb (one that the low glycemic index would say is o.k.) my sugars go way up. (oatmeal, ezekiel bread,milk etc.) So I think it really depends on how your body processes carbs. When I got off all my meds back when, that was the way I was eating, and it worked. It is boring though. I love my carbs!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have recently tried the Dr. Berstein thing. (Type 2 recently rediagnosed). It seemed to bring my blood sugars down immediately. As soon as I eat a questionable carb (one that the low glycemic index would say is o.k.) my sugars go way up. (oatmeal, ezekiel bread,milk etc.) So I think it really depends on how your body processes carbs. When I got off all my meds back when, that was the way I was eating, and it worked. It is boring though. I love my carbs!
A newly diagnosed T2 who is on oral medications only, can likely handle many more carbs than someone like me who has been T2 for 15 years, because their pancreas may well be producing quite a bit of insulin. As time goes on, and your pancreas produces less, you need more medications, and often insulin added. By then, eating fewer carbs is a great idea for better control, and so that you need to inject/infuse less insulin.

Counting carbs should be done from day 1. Limiting your carbs should also be done, but what the limit should be, depends on your situation.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I said, I actually can't handle carbs well. This morning my fasting was 136, I ate oatmeal to see what it would do and it raised my B.S. to 186 after 2 hours. I don't know if that's a rise I should be concerned about or if it's a normal rise. 2 hours later before lunch my B.S. was back to 111. If it comes back down in the next 2 hours is that o.k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find I can absolutely not handle oatmeal :( Used to be my primary breakfast! I agree, eggs for breakfast does get boring. And boy, have I resorted to every kind of creativity to jazz them up!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Cara-Joy.

I wish I had your dietician. It is not the least bit unrealistic, and I hope you will come to see that she is right.

Is 50 grams of carbs a day all that low? 15+ grams per meal? I think it is eminently reasonable. It is certainly more reasonable for diabetics than the 45-60 grams per meal your other dietician recommends!

It is imperative for diabetics to control their blood sugars, and doing it primarily with insulin to cover high carb intake is the wrong way to go. Low carb intake means lower insulin needs. High insulin = high body fat = resistance and the need for more insulin, etc. in a deadly circle that only gets worse as you feed it.

You may like to eat lots of carbs. I'd love to eat pasta, potatoes, bread, and all sorts of yummy carbs, but they are poison to me. And evidently your dietician believes they are poison to you. You should probably listen more to your dietician than to your stomach and taste buds.

Jaye Marno

** Know Your Goals and How To Achieve Them. Measure Your Progress Along the Way. **

Hi there,

I've recently been to visit a dietician. She recommended that my entire daily intake of carbs should be no more than 50g... this seems a little bit ludicrous and unrealistic to me. I am not obese, and my readings are now quite good.

I'm wondering if this is actually valid? I'd been to see a dietitian over a year ago and she recommended 3-4 servings of carbohydrates per meal... which seems much more realistic to me.

Thank you,
Cara-Joy

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe it to be real strange that doctors and dietitians in Belgium are not convinced that low carb is better for diabetics. One dietitian wanted me to have 220 gr carbs a day. I knew better from your stories and especially Richard's. Nowadays I eat about 100 gr a day, snacks included. I feel much better.

Our doctors say we need those carbs to have energy and we shouldn't have low carb diets.

I know my body feels better and I feel better on low carb food, although I miss the bread and the potatoes, rice and pasta quite a bit. But they spike my BG and I have needed 85 units of insulin a day since diagnosis and that has not lowered. If I would eat 220 gr carbs a day, I don't even want to count the amount of insulin that would be..:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts