The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Insurance companies in the states and few in Canada will insure diabetes clients if they use less than 60 units of insulin daily which I thought was highly interesting according to their statistics. Their statistics claim that diabetics taking more insulin than 60 units/day will die sooner so why should we insure them. I had nothing to say to disprove those figures. Stats don't lie.
It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

SunniD
I have never seen that 60 U of insulin thing.

It is absurd!

I use about 65 u a day, my average A1c for last year was 5.02, with a Standard Deviation of 14.

Not one diabetic in 10,000 does as well as me, according to my doctor.

Results are what affects your chances of complications, average glucose and variability, not what you did to get the results!

There was a book published many years ago with the title
"How to lie with Statistics"

-Lloyd

· Registered
99 Posts
I have recently tried the Dr. Berstein thing. (Type 2 recently rediagnosed). It seemed to bring my blood sugars down immediately. As soon as I eat a questionable carb (one that the low glycemic index would say is o.k.) my sugars go way up. (oatmeal, ezekiel bread,milk etc.) So I think it really depends on how your body processes carbs. When I got off all my meds back when, that was the way I was eating, and it worked. It is boring though. I love my carbs!
A newly diagnosed T2 who is on oral medications only, can likely handle many more carbs than someone like me who has been T2 for 15 years, because their pancreas may well be producing quite a bit of insulin. As time goes on, and your pancreas produces less, you need more medications, and often insulin added. By then, eating fewer carbs is a great idea for better control, and so that you need to inject/infuse less insulin.

Counting carbs should be done from day 1. Limiting your carbs should also be done, but what the limit should be, depends on your situation.

-Lloyd

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.