The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, Terrie

Appart from those products, exists "stevia". This natural sweetener from Paraguay is always sorrounded of controversy and it´s said that it can promote insulin production, as well it can be mutagenic.
Much political controversy and decisions has been made about its use and production.
Here you can buy stevia at several stores related to natural foods.
I have tested a single leaf of stevia on my tongue and it was so sweet that hurts! Even minutes after the taste and discarding the leaf I been feeling the sweetness of it.

You can find some more info here:

Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!

JAvier

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey, Terrie
Appart from those products, exists "stevia". This natural sweetener from Paraguay is always sorrounded of controversy and it´s said that it can promote insulin production, as well it can be mutagenic.
Much political controversy and decisions has been made about its use and production.
Here you can buy stevia at several stores related to natural foods.
I have tested a single leaf of stevia on my tongue and it was so sweet that hurts! Even minutes after the taste and discarding the leaf I been feeling the sweetness of it.
You can find some more info here:
Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cheers!
JAvier

Hi There Javier:

Wow, you put a stevia leaf in your mouth? :eek: Are you
aware that it can be poisonous in it's purest form?

:D Just ^ Kidding....I think. ;) Yes, I imagine that it was
sweet enough to hurt or even burn your tongue.

Yes, more controversy. The reason I didn't include it as
a sweetener is because the FDA will not declare it as such
at this time.

Quote:

"Another product, stevia, is derived from a South American shrub. Though it can impart a sweet taste to foods, it cannot be sold as a sweetener because FDA considers it an unapproved food additive. "The safety of stevia has been questioned by published studies," says Martha Peiperl, a consumer safety officer in FDA's Office of Premarket Approval. "And no one has ever provided FDA with adequate evidence that the substance is safe." Under provisions of 1994 legislation, however, stevia can be sold as a "dietary supplement," though it cannot be promoted as a sweetener.

Three other sugar sweeteners are currently under FDA review. One of them, cyclamate, was marketed in the 1960s, but FDA banned it in 1970 after evidence emerged linking it to bladder cancer. Subsequent studies have failed to verify that link, so FDA is considering a petition to reapprove cyclamate. The other sweeteners under review are neotame and alitame.

Though sugar substitutes have a long history of controversy, market
surveys show that calorie-conscious consumers want more low-calorie foods and beverages. And though artificially sweetened products are not magic foods that will melt pounds away, they can be, experts say, a helpful part of an overall weight control program that includes exercise and other dietary factors."

I actually bought a small box of packets of stevia from Walmart's a while back. I don't use it much but once in a while won't kill me, I guess.

Thanks for the interesting info and your comments Javier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
just read that Stevia is approved by the US FDA.

Tried it today. Seems ok. "Coincidentally" my glucose score went down...

With the hypothetical link between aspartame and T2, I think I'll keep with Stevia in the odd cup of coffee I have...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts