The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such thing as a healthy state of ketosis? Does a low carb - high fat diet put you in this state?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Is there such thing as a healthy state of ketosis? Does a low carb - high fat diet put you in this state?
Being in ketosis because of a LCHF diet is perfectly normal and safe. The only thing to watch out for is when first transitioning into ketosis there is a potential for electrolyte loss.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You can Google 'low-carb' or 'atkins' and come up with zillions of websites. What I did was simple: reduced carbs. Because I did it as I was learning after dx, it was dramatic but that last step of greater restriction and going into ketosis was more gradual. I think before I knew better, I probably bounced in and out of it, but now am aware and so solidly in it that even a little cheat here and there (some bites of dessert on occasion but balanced by plenty of fat) don't throw me out of it. I verify this by ketosticks, which aren't a perfect measure, but if they're showing any color, one knows one is indeed in ketosis.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most of us who do LC/HF try to achieve healthy ketosis everyday. We usually do this by eating under 50 carbs a day, sometimes less. It also takes replacing the carbs with fat. Healthy Ketosis means you are burning fat for energy. A lot of people confuse having ketones with something called DKA. DKA happens when your bgs are very high and you have no insulin on board to deal with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of us who do LC/HF try to achieve healthy ketosis everyday. We usually do this by eating under 50 carbs a day, sometimes less. It also takes replacing the carbs with fat. Healthy Ketosis means you are burning fat for energy. A lot of people confuse having ketones with something called DKA. DKA happens when your bgs are very high and you have no insulin on board to deal with it.
But will I gain weight if all I eat is fat?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
1. You would not be eating 'all' fat, only a high percentage.
2. Most people do not gain weight, just the opposite (if you have overweight issues)
3. I cannot recommend getting addicted to macadamia nuts and overeating them - this will put on pounds. Guess how I know this :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
No, weight loss or gain is more complex than just what you're eating. As to whether or not ketosis is healthy in the long term I'm not aware of any long term studies that answer that question. However, the ketogenic diet itself has been around for a long time, it was used in the early 1900s to treat childhood epilepsy, and if there any major health issues with it I kind of think someone would have spotted them by now. And on the flip side, I think it's pretty clear that there are long term health risks for the typical western high carb high sugar high calorie diet. Not that this makes ketogenic diets safe, but as an option it's hard to do worse than the typical western diet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts