The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have now been on a LCHF diet for around 3 weeks and it has helped me to control my blood sugar levels more easily. I get around 100~133 mg/dl after a low carb meal. My macronutrient ratios in calories are around: P: 15%, C: 5%, F: 80%. I eat around 2000 to 2200 Calories a day.

During the 2nd til last few days I felt a general weakness in the body but as of now it is gone and I feel more energetic and can do weight lifting pretty normally.

But I get these random heart palpitations now and then and I am not really sure how to deal with it. the palpitation strength is not very hard and it is just a few occuring now and then during the day. I don't think it is serious but I am a little worried about it. I suspect it is something related to the diet but not sure what in the diet. Maybe too much fat? Or my electrolytes are low (note: I also get muscle cramps in left leg when I sleep, which is related to low potassium I think)?

Have anyone had similar issue as with me? What was the reason for it? How did you deal with it?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I have only had problems with heart palpitations twice in my life, and neither were related to LCHF, so I may not be much help here. The first time, they were anxiety related. I was going through a lot of stress in life and was in a major depression where I was simultaneously experiencing anxiety. Years after, I had them again and it was because I was hyperthyroid. I don't have a thyroid but my thyroid medicine was too high, causing the same symptoms of being hyperthyroid.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Could these be false hypos, as your body settles into not processing so much carbohydrate?

Eat a LITTLE something and see if that settles it down.

Yeah, charley horses mean you need Potassium, AND Magnesium. AND likely if you are not slating things a lot, SODIUM.

I use inexpensive No Salt (or Lite Salt) to supplement, and also cheap-cheap magnesium oxide.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Could these be false hypos, as your body settles into not processing so much carbohydrate? Eat a LITTLE something and see if that settles it down. Yeah, charley horses mean you need Potassium, AND Magnesium. AND likely if you are not slating things a lot, SODIUM. I use inexpensive No Salt (or Lite Salt) to supplement, and also cheap-cheap magnesium oxide.
Never thought about magnesium for that. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all. Thanks for replying.

I tried a magnesium supplement yesterday before bed-time, but still got cramps. My diet might be low in salt and potassium. I have bought some broth and mineral salt which is lower in sodium bit contains lots of potassium and magnesium. I'll try it out for a couple of days and see how things turn out :)

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could these be false hypos, as your body settles into not processing so much carbohydrate?

Eat a LITTLE something and see if that settles it down.

Yeah, charley horses mean you need Potassium, AND Magnesium. AND likely if you are not slating things a lot, SODIUM.

I use inexpensive No Salt (or Lite Salt) to supplement, and also cheap-cheap magnesium oxide.
I'll check if it is a false hypo. Thx

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have not had the palpitation issue but have had the cramping issue, especially when sleeping.

I use the no salt and also supplement with potassium and magnesium and also before bed I use a product called Leg Cramps by Hyland's that can be purchased at Walmart (I swear by these).

Reactions: Msfranxie

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Let us know how the broth and supplements go. I had heart palpitations for months, turned out to be from my blood pressure medicine which I have since quit due to side effects.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
lirre said:
Hi all. I have now been on a LCHF diet for around 3 weeks and it has helped me to control my blood sugar levels more easily. I get around 100~133 mg/dl after a low carb meal. My macronutrient ratios in calories are around: P: 15%, C: 5%, F: 80%. I eat around 2000 to 2200 Calories a day. During the 2nd til last few days I felt a general weakness in the body but as of now it is gone and I feel more energetic and can do weight lifting pretty normally. But I get these random heart palpitations now and then and I am not really sure how to deal with it. the palpitation strength is not very hard and it is just a few occuring now and then during the day. I don't think it is serious but I am a little worried about it. I suspect it is something related to the diet but not sure what in the diet. Maybe too much fat? Or my electrolytes are low (note: I also get muscle cramps in left leg when I sleep, which is related to low potassium I think)? Have anyone had similar issue as with me? What was the reason for it? How did you deal with it?
the weak feeling for the first couple of weeks of LCHF probably "Atkins flu". Increasing sodium (salt, broth) helps.

Cramps probably due to lowering of sodium with LCHF too. I do as others do and supplement with magnesium, potassium, and baking soda.

That may also help with palpitation feelings. I notice when I take more than 6 tablespoons of coconut oil a day I can feel my heart beat a little stronger. Not sure if palpitation.

iPhone using DF app

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I started LCHF last year my body was so used to 250 to 300 BG all the time ,when I got below 120 I broke out into false hypo mode..heart beat,headache ,etc. Ibuprofen and lots of broth got me over the dreaded Atkins flu. Don't give up,the results are amazing.

Wayne

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all. I will try the salt and broth a couple of days and let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks all.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I started LCHF last year my body was so used to 250 to 300 BG all the time ,when I got below 120 I broke out into false hypo mode..heart beat,headache ,etc. Ibuprofen and lots of broth got me over the dreaded Atkins flu. Don't give up,the results are amazing.

Wayne
Hi. I enjoy the LCHF way of eating. I can feel full without having high post meal BSLs.

The flu symptoms have not been that horrible for me. I get most of the mentioned symptoms but luckily, they are not very strong :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have heart palpitations with large boluses as very high glucose heads lower. Very high glucose often also includes cramping in legs, feet and hands. I assume its due to water loss and electrolyte loss.

But then I also get heart palpitation with very low glucose (under 30).

Don't think its LCHF related rather symptoms that arrive if I've eaten something stupid.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all.

I have tried as suggested and most of the heart palpitations are gone. Feel it sometimes (random times) a little. It's not the bothering palpitation intensity anymore and I think it will go away pretty soon.

But I still have the annoying muscle cramps. It is more like a tendency to wanting to cramp (my leg). I realized that I also get a warm feeling and a numbness feeling in my leg. It is like the restless leg syndrome without the feeling of to much energy in the legs. The feeling is persistent during the whole day.

I have been supplementing with 600 mg magnesium and around 2.5 grams of sodium, 500 mg potassium.

Has anyone had similar issues? Maybe I am still not getting enough minerals, especially potassium?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all.

I have now been on a LCHF diet for around 3 weeks and it has helped me to control my blood sugar levels more easily. I get around 100~133 mg/dl after a low carb meal. My macronutrient ratios in calories are around: P: 15%, C: 5%, F: 80%. I eat around 2000 to 2200 Calories a day.

During the 2nd til last few days I felt a general weakness in the body but as of now it is gone and I feel more energetic and can do weight lifting pretty normally.

But I get these random heart palpitations now and then and I am not really sure how to deal with it. the palpitation strength is not very hard and it is just a few occuring now and then during the day. I don't think it is serious but I am a little worried about it. I suspect it is something related to the diet but not sure what in the diet. Maybe too much fat? Or my electrolytes are low (note: I also get muscle cramps in left leg when I sleep, which is related to low potassium I think)?

Have anyone had similar issue as with me? What was the reason for it? How did you deal with it?
I have had palpitations in the past along with a tendency to cramps in the calf muscles. I took calcium and magnesium supplements as recommended by one of the diet forums at the time and both cleared up. I also started taking Omega 3 and Vitamin E daily. I haven't had either cramps or palpitations for years now.

Hope you find a solution soon, if not, it might be worth a trip to the doc to get your heart checked out.

Best wishes,

Mark.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had palpitations in the past along with a tendency to cramps in the calf muscles. I took calcium and magnesium supplements as recommended by one of the diet forums at the time and both cleared up. I also started taking Omega 3 and Vitamin E daily. I haven't had either cramps or palpitations for years now.

Hope you find a solution soon, if not, it might be worth a trip to the doc to get your heart checked out.

Best wishes,

Mark.
I see. I have not been supplementing with calcium or vitamin E. I'll try that and see what happens.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts