The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the strangest phenomena I've noticed so far in my battle with diabetes. We've been seeing temps in the highs 80's to low 100's, and with this rise in temperature I've also been using a lot less insulin.

For example, my breakfast usually needs 22 units on Novolog, and at this time, with NO change in what I'm eating, I am using around 15 units, and that may even prove to be little too much.

What say you more experienced folks? Do you see a drop off in the need for insulin with warmer weather?

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
That's how it works for me. Others have reported the opposite reaction. Still others kinda shake their heads when the rest of us talk about weather changes!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let "em Shake!

That's how it works for me. Others have reported the opposite reaction. Still others kinda shake their heads when the rest of us talk about weather changes!
I guess they'll have to shake their heads. There is something to the weather thing. I know it's for real, because it is the only explanation I have for the recent decrease in insulin needed for meals.

Thanks for your reply.

Pastor Paul

G

·
well I agree with that Paul.... it's cold over here right now and I've had to drop my basal dosage of insulin. I'm still managing to have hypos and unpredictable BGL levels throughout the day. I've noticed the colder it is the lower I drop in my BGL. It was explained to me that BGLs are usually higher and you need more insulin when it's warmer.... but for some people I'm sure it's the other way around. Actually come to think of it I can't stand it too hot and I get hot easy... so perhaps the cold is not your favourite thing? I like the cold better as I get to snuggle under my doona. lol.

·
Registered
930 Posts
sarcastic comment

irrelevant perhaps but if you need 22 units of insulin just for breakfast then your body must be aging at a very rapid rate from all that insulin, that much extra insulin must be tearing the hell out of your circulatory system. can you say "Peripheral Arterial Disease"?

G

·
irrelevant perhaps but if you need 22 units of insulin just for breakfast then your body must be aging at a very rapid rate from all that insulin, that much extra insulin must be tearing the hell out of your circulatory system. can you say "Peripheral Arterial Disease"?
arggghhh.... what? :( I'm on insulin and I also produce my own insulin... technically I have no idea how much units of insulin are in my body at any one time. I thought having high BGLs damages your circulation not too much insulin. How much insulin one needs shouldn't be in question as we're all different. So many variables raise our BGLs too.... eg. Paul has pain all the time... no doubt that stresses the body and more insulin would be needed anyhow. I was told by my diabetes educator that some people inject 70 units at a time.... then there's insulin resistance that some people have too, that means more insulin is needed.

Of course you know this... you're just stirring right? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found that when I went on holidays to thailand, I could cut my insulin down by a third, I think the heat makes your body more sensitive to insulin, probably because you are perspiring more so your body is using up energy quicker and there for speading up your metabolism and insulin absorbancy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
onlymep

just stirring?

Paul chose the easy way of using insulin to control his blood sugar which is easy and immediate instead of trying to raise his insulin sensitivity which is much slower and harder and not supported by the AMA. i maintain that like pain killers that many people use, insulin just covers up the problem while the high and now even higher levels of caustic insulin are destroying the person. but then, that is just this old hillbilly's ignorant opinion. :p

arggghhh.... what? :( I'm on insulin and I also produce my own insulin... technically I have no idea how much units of insulin are in my body at any one time. I thought having high BGLs damages your circulation not too much insulin. How much insulin one needs shouldn't be in question as we're all different. So many variables raise our BGLs too.... eg. Paul has pain all the time... no doubt that stresses the body and more insulin would be needed anyhow. I was told by my diabetes educator that some people inject 70 units at a time.... then there's insulin resistance that some people have too, that means more insulin is needed.

G

·
just stirring?

Paul chose the easy way of using insulin to control his blood sugar which is easy and immediate instead of trying to raise his insulin sensitivity which is much slower and harder and not supported by the AMA. i maintain that like pain killers that many people use, insulin just covers up the problem while the high and now even higher levels of caustic insulin are destroying the person. but then, that is just this old hillbilly's ignorant opinion. :p
oh ok... so you're only referring to people who produce all of their own insulin then... not no insulin at all or insulin deficient?

·
Registered
930 Posts
onlymep

onlymep:

NO! i am referring to people who are "insulin deficient" ( like me ) because of extreme "insulin resistance" and have to add extra insulin to avoid complications caused by high blood sugar. i believe that this method by itself does not work very well for very long. i believe that, for a type 2 diabetic, insulin should only be used as a temporary measure until insulin sensitivity can be improved. i guess you could say that i am more in agreement with Budwig and that supplement pusher Dr. Whitaker ( 7 lies ) but not quite as extreme and not "low fat".

oh ok... so you're only referring to people who produce all of their own insulin then... not no insulin at all or insulin deficient?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Mep goes lower in the cold, while Paul and I go lower in the heat. All three of us are right! And, so are those folks who don't respond to temperatures at all.

ColaJim ... I totally agree that we should not expect any med to do all of our work. I also don't see any of us taking the easy way out. We must each follow our own path.

I try to take the minimum amount of insulin possible. But for me, No Injection = No Food (+ Liver Dump).

Before diagnosis and insulin, those unknown BGLs made me feel, and function, like a frail elder. At first, I had to increase dosages slowly, but steadily. But my basal's been pretty stable for awhile (will likely need to go up a tiny notch come winter). When I stay on the diet track, my bolus doses decrease.

Developing my best diet, while increasing exercise, keeping track of blood levels and figuring doses accordingly, is hard work!

I'm lucky in that I require a fairly moderate dose, but I don't question those who need ten times that amount, or more. Maybe I'll be able to ditch the needles one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

One thing's for sure ... if I ever find myself spiking on string cheese again, that dose is gonna go up!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Note to CJ

You have tons of good advice. I'm sure! However, you don't know what each person is going through. You don't KNOW me. You don't know my needs. You don't know what I face every day in neurological pain and from degenerative disc disease taking a toll on my entire spine, disc-by-disc.

If you were my physician, I'd lend you an ear, since I must follow the directives of those who hold the degree's and have the medical expertise when it comes to treating my diabetes. I have a great Nephrologist, Internist, Neurologist and Endo, who work together to treat and help me with my medical problems.

Thank you for your concern for what I might be doing to my body.

Good day my brother.
Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your Points

You are right in what you have to say. No one person is the same. Also, it is worse to have HIGH blood sugars. As far as I know, the amount of insulin needed to control the BS's is not as important as keeping the numbers tight.

At this time, I show no signs of "Peripheral Arterial Disease" :hand:. As for masking the pain with morphine, it sure beats the pain from not taking anything. :Cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts