The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used a heating pad last night. I have a pad that has a control so that it stays on all night. Most pads shut off after 2 hours. Anyway, I layed on the pad all night on my right side. I got 3 blisters and some of my skin is thermal burnt. I have been in pain all day from it. I was reading that people with diabetes should not use heating pads. What is the reason why diabetics should not use a heating pad?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Poor circulation, not enough blood flow to remove the heat from that area. so it Burns.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Poor circulation, not enough blood flow to remove the heat from that area. so it Burns.

I dont know if that is what happend in your case. No one is suppose to sleep with a heating pad for that reason.

I do when my back hurts.:D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would also think because some neuropathy might impede you from feeling pain at the site when you are getting burned. Sorry you got burned :( Hope it heals quickly *hug*

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont know if that is what happend in your case. No one is suppose to sleep with a heating pad for that reason.

I do when my back hurts.:D
I am adicted to sleeping most nights with the heating pad on. I am so crazy, I can not sleep unless I have a fan on. I have been using a fan at night to sleep for 15 years...I know it sound nuts...but what can I say? :) :) :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If that's crazy, then we're BOTH crazy.
I guess I don't use a fan in the winter, because our bedrooms aren't heated and it stays cold. But neither are they air-conditioned, and as soon as spring arrives & the nights are warmer, I can't sleep without air moving. A window fan is running in my bedroom window at least six months out of the year.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, I was told by my doctor never to use a heating pad. He said that we do not always feel how hot it is or how cold it is. I was even told to use a thermometer to see how hot or cold the bath or shower water is.

The doctor told me that we cannot always sense how hot or cold it is because of our poor circulation!! One of the side effects of having diabetes.

(((HUGS))) Breezeonby I hope you feel better.

Ruth

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am adicted to sleeping most nights with the heating pad on. I am so crazy, I can not sleep unless I have a fan on. I have been using a fan at night to sleep for 15 years...I know it sound nuts...but what can I say? :) :) :)

I too need air flow to sleep my wife on the other hand cant sleep with it:( So I made a fan out of an old computer cpu cooling fan that blows on me:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
It would be the same thing with a hot water bottle or electric blankets.

I would think the fans would be good because it circulates the air around the room. I have fans all over my house for the summer. It is not on just area of the body.

Ruth

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You take the fan out of a junk computer ( if you take it out of a good one it will be junk in about 15 minutes) the CPU fan is 12V, I had a 12 V variable power supply and hooked it up. stuck the fan on the wall with clothes pins and pointed the fan at me, adj the power supply to the correct wind and slept like a baby.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You take the fan out of a junk computer ( if you take it out of a good one it will be junk in about 15 minutes) the CPU fan is 12V, I had a 12 V variable power supply and hooked it up. stuck the fan on the wall with clothes pins and pointed the fan at me, adj the power supply to the correct wind and slept like a baby.
Sounds like alot of trouble. But do what you got to do. You can buy really small fans too! For myself, I prefer a larger fan, it makes more noise. It is not real often, but if I sleep elsewhere without a fan, I don't get any sleep.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So its the white noise you like? You buy a white noise generator (like a small radio)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd be good with a radio that just played instrumental music, but about the time I start to nod off, the announcer comes on & boing! My eyes pop wide open!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So its the white noise you like? You buy a white noise generator (like a small radio)
I have tried several noise makers and there are none that compare to the fan. Just call me crazy! :p

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd be good with a radio that just played instrumental music, but about the time I start to nod off, the announcer comes on & boing! My eyes pop wide open!
I think I started off with classical music and then I tried "THE FAN".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.