The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was told a few months ago I had type 2. My dr called and said to go strait to the er. They gave me pills and the next day he said no to the pills an put me on levemir. I went a couple week increasing the amount every few days after talking to him. My a1c kept going down from 13.5 to 11 than last check a couple weeks ago 8.9. Well I that cool it's working but he goes "not how I want it to", and then puts me on novolog now also. I dont get it he did not give the pills a try and scarfed at the fact my a1c is going down. To say he scares me is an under statement, so im looking into new drs. He even told me that my levels should be lower in the middle of the day then in the morning, but they are. Wonder if I'm jumping the gun on finding a new dr or not.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well I was told a few months ago I had type 2. My dr called and said to go strait to the er. They gave me pills and the next day he said no to the pills an put me on levemir. I went a couple week increasing the amount every few days after talking to him. My a1c kept going down from 13.5 to 11 than last check a couple weeks ago 8.9. Well I that cool it's working but he goes "not how I want it to", and then puts me on novolog now also. I dont get it he did not give the pills a try and scarfed at the fact my a1c is going down. To say he scares me is an under statement, so im looking into new drs. He even told me that my levels should be lower in the middle of the day then in the morning, but they are. Wonder if I'm jumping the gun on finding a new dr or not.
Hello and welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you as a member and there is so much information and support on the forum. If you can't find a topic, just go to the white search box on the forum page. I think your doctor likes the way that insulin works and the pills put stress on your body and insulin does not. The numbers that you gave us does indicate that your A1C was going down, so that is a good thing and you will be getting the best treatment method known to man today, insulin. If you don't want to take injections, look for a new doc who may just use metformin, it is the gold standard for diabetes. I take 2 insulins, Lantus is my basal insulin and novolog is my rapid acting insulin. I have had a A1C in the 5% range for a year, can't beat that! I hope you have time to visit often and take care.

O

·
0 Posts
Welcome :) it's good to see your A1c is going down... that's a great improvement for only 2 months treatment! If you're not comfortable with your doctor, find another one. Although it sounds like you've got one of those tough, no nonsense doctors which can be a plus to you too. They do have your best interest at heart. I was put on oral meds and I'm thinking insulin would be safer as less side effects than the oral meds. Docs particularly love metformin for type 2 diabetics... as it's considered the 'safe' drug to use. Although I'm one of those people where metformin wasn't kind. If you're keen on oral meds, think twice before you do this. You may be Ok though.... everyone is different. There's a lot of diabetics on metformin doing Ok for now. There's lot of support and info here. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not upset about the oral meds, just can't figure out why he put me on the second novolog when the first one is bringing my a1c down, and he won't listen.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not upset about the oral meds, just can't figure out why he put me on the second novolog when the first one is bringing my a1c down, and he won't listen.
Novolog works differently than your long acting insulin does. Novolog is a rapid acting insulin that is used to cover your meals. The long acting insulin covers your basal needs. How were your blood sugars running before and after meals before he put you on the novolog? Likely he is using that to control after meal spikes in your blood sugar. A1c is an inportant indicator of your blood sugar average...but those spikes are just as important to control. Most insulin using diabetics are going to maintain the best control using a basal/bolus combination. I used Lantus and Humalog before going on the pump.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is preferred that your A1c be 6.5, or less, since that greatly lowers the likelihood of diabetes related complications. That is probably why he gave you Novolog. If you A1c is reduced to the low 6's then he may put you on pills, but insulin will certainly give you very good control.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Even at 8.9 your average bg is higher than 200 which could be causing lots of danger to your blood vessels. You should be happy that your doctor is taking an agressive approach. There are 2 types of insulin that work totally differently. The Levemir you are taking is a long acting insulin and really does nothing with the foods you are eating at meals. So if you are still spiking at meals above 140 that is why your doctor wants you on meal time insulin. Once you get your numbers down you may be able to cut back on the insulin or switch over to pills. The added insulin will prevent further damage from high bgs over 140.

O

·
0 Posts
I think you'll be happier anyhow on both the basal and bolus insulin. I take both myself and I recognise that I need it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts