The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just diagnosed a month ago after going to the hospital for appendicitis. While I was there they told me that i had a blood glucose lab reading of 344 and my a1c was 10.9. I had suspicions that i could be a diabetic but had never wanted to confirm my fears. Anyways they gave me insulin and on i went into surgery. After the surgery I was injected with insulin many times and tested and my bgc readings were always in the high 200's. The hospitalist (Hospitals Doctor) said that they do not bother with the test to figure out if im type 1 or 2 but just will put me down as type 2 because of my family history (my parents are both type 2). Sooooo of course i want to know if im type 1 or 2 since all my research tells me that they are treated differently. The hospital have me a prescription for levimir 1- units every 12 hrs and told me to seem my doc. Sooo i went to see my doctor with readings still in the high 200 range (with a strict low card diet). The doctor let me know that he thinks im a type 1 but wants me to see a endo to me for sure. he tells me to up my dose by 2 units until the levels come down, i hit 20 units, or i see the endo (whichever comes 1st.)... i end up hitting the 20 unit mark and my levels are staying in the low 200 range now. a week later I see a endo and she thinks im type 2 and sends me to have a bunch of blood work done c peptide ect ect.... I am still in the dark as to me being a type 2 or a type 1... anyone want to comment on what type they think i may be? The endo did switch my meds to novolog 70/30 injections which have been keeping my sugar in the mid to upper 100's.... i have noticed a side effect to this drug that it makes my armpits sweat for no reason once the long acting dose kicks in... around lunch time and in the middle of the night. A little history with me: When i was in the 9-10th grade i lost about 50 lbs (from 310 to 260)really easily and started drinking allot of water... since i thought that was what made me loose the weight i kept drinking the water and peeing all the time. I have been 260ish ever since and i am 6'1" tall. I am pretty sure ive been diabetic ever since high school.

let me know what you think.... I will know the results 2-3-2010 the day can not come soon enough.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Nathan . . . can you believe all the run-around you're getting?! My goodness!

My guess is you're type 1, and I agree with you that you've prob'ly been diabetic for several years.

As I understand it from other insulin-dependent patients, the 70/30 mixed injections are not the most effective method if administering insulin. But I am non-insulin-dependent, and I have no personal experience with this. If it's lowering your numbers, I would have to say it must be helping.

You may have to really stand up to your docs to get straight answers, but by all means do that. Keep track of everything and take those numbers & reports along to show to the docs. A lot of diabetic patients come to know much more about their disorder than the docs who prescribe. Keep asking questions, and insist on answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shanny,

Thanks for the response... I was wondering if how i responded to the 2 insulins would help tell the endo if i was insulin resistant or not. My gut feeling is also type 1 as is the gut feeling or alot of my medical friends and even a friend with type 1 that i have. I cant wait to know for sure. if anyone else wants to throw in their guess let me know..

Thanks

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Nathan welcome aboard! It does seem that you are Type 1. A basal/bolus type of control that requires two types of insulin is by far the best for all Type 1's. You can reduce your BG levels with the 70/30 but you are much more likely to have a lot of highs and lows, even some bad ones, unless you use the basal/bolus control. Research basal, bolus on Google and find out the details. I hope your doctor will allow you to use that method of control.

There are tests tha can help determine your type. A GTT (glucose tolerance test) and a C-peptide test are frequently used. The C-peptide test is very simple, it is just a blood test. It determines how much insulin your pancreas is still producing. If it is producing a substantial amount then you are Type 2. If it is producing very little, or none at all, then you are Type 1. Ask your doctor about that test. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ive already taken the blood tests but evidently it will take 10 days from when i took them to get the results... untile then i just have to wait.. lol... as far as the basil/bolus goes im sure if i am type one i will be looking into that... i obviously would want to get on a pump as it seems eveyone wishes they would have been on one alot earlier... problem is my insurance sux. Anyways until then i am just waiting in a holding pattern. With my current 70/30 i have been staying in the 130's range with highs and lows... nothing lower than like 110... my wife thinks im crazy for wanting to know so bad weather its one or two but ita killing me not knowing for sure... lol

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is very important to know your type. The treatments are very different. When I was diagnosed in 1945 doctors did not know there were different types. All diabetecs were treated with insulin then. Fortunately, all types can be controlled with insulin so you will be fine continuing your insulin until you have a proper diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts