The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I registered to the forum because I'm just trying to determine what is going on. I really know next to nothing about diabetes, so I wanted to see if anyone could help point me in the right direction...

Several months ago I just started feeling like crap, all the time. It never got any better up until this week. Cutting out several things to rule out food allergies, my efforts continued void, until about 2 weeks ago...

I ate 3 ice-cream sandwiches at lunchtime, and the day ended so bad, that I couldn't even look up to drive home, that's how sensitive my eyes were to light. For a month, I was always extremely tired. I'd sleep 12 hours a day, recurring nightmares, extreme depression, just feeling terrible. My whole body literally felt congested.

I thought I had a dairy allergy, and quickly cut it out. After some progress in symptoms, I realized it wasn't dairy, but in fact, sugar. I went outside one morning and drank a glass of orange juice and my blood pressure skyrocketed, I began sweating and heart racing...

After that, I kinda clued myself into that I have an issue with sugar. I cut out my sugar intake almost completely, and began a diet of rye bread, turkey burgers, peanuts, and lettuce. 3 days into the diet, my once-congested body is finally starting to return to normal (more normal than it has been in 5 or so years). I believe I had hyperglycemia and it just kept building and buildling. Today I am feeling a LOT better and MANY of the symptoms are beginning to clear up.

I just registered for govt healthcare insurance yesterday, to get the ball rolling. I looked up diabetes, but I don't really match the symptoms for it, as my symptoms were much worse, so that's why I came here. The biggest improvement so far in symptoms has been muscle tension/soreness, my body is passing mucous 50x better than it used to and my confusion is dissipating, as well as my difficulty forming sentences and not stumbling over words. I'm sleeping roughly 8 hours again and no more nightmares. These dont' really match diabetes symptoms...

So now, as I wait for my health insurance, I'm not really sure exactly how to move forward - to approach it as diabetes, or perhaps approach it as a sugar allergy. Either way, my body is hating sugar.

If you have any input at all, I would greatley appreciate it. And nice to meet you all.

Kturis

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Your first step is to get a doctors appointment and get a comlete physical including a fasting bg test, HbA1c test, Lipid test, and standard vitamin and mineral tests. Your doctor may want to do an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test). You may also want to get your thyroid checked. After the results of these tests maybe your doctor can figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. The problem right now is no health insurance, so I have to approach it naturally for about a month.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I would actually get a meter and start testing. That would give you some indication as to what is happening. Make a log of all the readings and do those readings at both one hour and two hours after taking the first bite of food for that meal. Also test first thing in the morning as soon as you wake up. Since you have no health insurance right now, the best way to get a meter is to check out the meter companies as many give out free meters and those usually come with about 10 strips. Its not much but it is a start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another option is to go to Walmart for a meter and strips. ReliOn are about the least expensive you can get.

I really know next to nothing about diabetes, so I wanted to see if anyone could help point me in the right direction...
It won't do any good to test your blood sugar if you don't know what the numbers mean. Blood Sugar 101 can help you out there, if you read 'What is Normal Blood Sugar'

Keep us posted.

Froggie

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
The meter will help a lot! I'm undiagnosed because my doctor went by the ADA numbers, but just today I did my own test and with FBG of 96, I got really hungry and after voting, ran thru KFC and bought two dark meat pieces and a cup of green beans and one of their coleslaw and took my BG prior and then an hour after at 156 and 126 after 2 hours. That is NOT a normal persons BG no matter what he says. I'd have never known before. Get a meter. I use the Relion meter from Wal-Mart most of the time, but I've just gotten a new one from Bayer that I'm going to use for the next week. Then, I'll get more Relion strips as I have to pay for mine out of pocket. But, by watching my meter, I KNOW I am diabetic, regardless of what my A1C is when I'm checked.

So, help yourself, and check, check and check, before, after 1 hr. and two to learn what your #'s are. It's your iife and yours to know.

Good luck,

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome aboard. My advice is no different from what's already been said - get a meter & then get a doctor appointment. Perhaps you can make the appointment now, so you can get in just as soon as your insurance kicks in. I don't have to tell you that you're in bad shape.

Yes, you obviously have issues with sugar, which prob'ly means you have issues with anything that turns INTO sugar as you eat it. All the starches turn to sugar as soon as you start chewing, so until you can see the doc, if I were you I'd back way off on all the pasta, potatoes, breads, sweets, and anything made with grain (rice, wheat, oats, corn, etc.) Once you get hold of a meter, it will tell you where you are & if you have questions about anything, we can help you interpret the numbers. The BloodSugar101 website is the diabetes bible, as far as I'm concerned. It's well written & understandable for laypersons such as ourselves.

I've used the Walmart ReliOn meter since I was first diagnosed (I didn't have insurance in those days either); I think it runs about $10 for the meter & $30 for a package of 50 strips.

I hope you'll be able to visit us often - we'll help you all we can. I know this is a scary time for you. Your symptoms match diabetes better than you realize, but we DO need to wait & see what your lab results are.

If at all possible though, pick up a meter & start using it until your insurance starts & you can get in to the doctor.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since we are not doctors we cannot diagnose your symptoms, only a doctor can do that. The Blood Sugar 101 site is fantastic and will give you tons of info on what normal bgs are and what are diabetic numbers. How long will it be before your insurance kicks in? If it is very long I would try to find a free clinic to get an initial diagnosis . We have insurance but still have to pay all our doctors, labs and Rx costs until we meet a very high deductible. But that doesn't prevent me from going to the doctor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
maybe go to the er..they take anyone whether you have insurance or not...i agree with what everybody says..def buy a meter

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes, get an inexpensive meter and strips - it's much better than waiting until something happens...

As mentioned, the ReliOn brand at Walmart are less expensive than others.

Use the meter to do your own post-prandial (after meal) tests and fasting (before meal) tests.

• Test before you eat
  • Record what you're eating
  • Test 3 times after you START eating, at 45 minutes, 60 minutes and 120 minutes.

That'll give you an idea of where you're at. You can easily get an idea of how much carbohydrate is in your meal by looking at the various 'calorie counting' websites on the internet.

For reference:
Normal fasting blood sugar is 83 mg/dl (4.6mmol/L) or less. (This figure is in some dispute, many doctors say 100mg/dl or less, but that figure is indicative of pre-diabetes. Independent tests using Continuous Glucose Monitoring of non-diabetics show 83mg/dl.)

Normal post-prandial blood sugar, REGARDLESS of what is eaten is 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal. Healthy normal levels are under 100 mg/dl (5.5mmol/L) at the 2 hour mark.

As mentioned, many doctors and organizations will disagree with these numbers, but doctors usually follow the advice of the organizations such as American Diabetes Association, and other Diabetes Associations in other countries; and what most don't know is those organizations are primarily funded by Pharmaceutical Companies and therefore have a conflict of interest.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forums!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts