The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Nick,

I'm not a diabetic but I work with seniors and disabled people daily, most of them are diabetics who have no idea about a healthy diet. Their physicians don't give them much medical information of what to eat and not eat when they prescribe them their medications for diabetes, but they do suggest to the patient that it would be good for the to see a dietician but sadly this is usually ignored.

I'm hoping to find some inexpensive and easily prepared meal recipes to help offer a healthy meals for people on a fixed low income.

I look forward to reading the many threads and interacting with you all.

Administrator
Welcome, Nick! Glad to see you here! I hope you find a lot of support and help for your mission.

Diabetic nutrition is, I would say, a little chaotic right now. Before insulin and other diabetes-treatment drugs were introduced, diabetics typically were told to eat low amounts of carbohydrates (sugar, fruit, starchy vegetables, grains). Those recommendations changed once medication could address the insulin management issue -- but diabetics did not. There is increasing study that shows that limiting carbohydrate intake at least reduces the need for medication or insulin and, as part of a very-low-carbohydrate eating plan, may even make those medications unnecessary (raises hand).

The tricky bit about going low-carb imo is habit (with a little non-help from peoples' surroundings). In many countries/societies, carbohydrates are kingpins of nutrition: noodles or rice or beans or flatbreads (or some combination of all of them) served at most or all meals, root crops prominent as a flavor or food extender, sweet soft drinks or beer or wine with meals. In addition, it's tough for people to give up desserts or their morning croissant or the Friday beer bash.

And there sometimes isn't much support for low-carb. Eating low-carb at The Spaghetti Factory is a challenge, at best. My mother-in-law is in a nursing home. I suspect they cater to religious food preferences like no meat for Catholics on Fridays. But every time I've walked by "Today's Menu" it's always been something like spaghetti or tater-tot hot dish or breaded fish filets on buns served with carrots or corn or such. And dessert. Always dessert. No idea what there is for people to eat if they want to keep the carb count low.

Not to write a book here. 馃檪 My main thrust is that many of us here believe in low-carb (or even ketogenic) eating and we have the A1c numbers to prove it works. It does, however, require a commitment that people may or may not be willing or able to make. So a lot of what you'll see here is geared to that idea.

If you haven't seen it, there is a Recipes forum that is worth checking out. I also will start a new thread there repeating your request for inexpensive and easily prepared meals for people on low incomes.

Now I'll let the others greet you!

Reactions: Mr Peepers

Super Moderator
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. Thank you for the work you do for the elderly and your concern for their well-being.

Physicians don't give much nutritional information to patients because the subject is not a large part of their lesson plan in doctor school. Dietitians are more schooled about nutrition than doctors. While it may be true that the suggestion to see a dietician is ignored by many may be true, but most dieticians do not give the best advice to Type 2 diabetics in regards to what they should be eating. Although for many, to reduce the carbohydrates they consume to the 150-170 grams per day recommended may be a drastic cut, in the long run, that is still too many carbs. But as itissteve mentioned, the mainstream thought left with the patient is to let the medication do the work. That works for a little while, lowering their blood sugar, but eventually it goes back up and more medication is given.

In addition to the Recipes Forum, there are lots of ideas of things to eat in the Diabetes Diet and Nutrition Forum especially in the sticky threads at the top. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. If you have any questions as you peruse the forums, be sure to ask them, someone here on the forum should be able to get you an answer. There is a lot of experience shared in the threads on this forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. Thank you for the work you do for the elderly and your concern for their well-being.

Physicians don't give much nutritional information to patients because the subject is not a large part of their lesson plan in doctor school. Dietitians are more schooled about nutrition than doctors. While it may be true that the suggestion to see a dietician is ignored by many may be true, but most dieticians do not give the best advice to Type 2 diabetics in regards to what they should be eating. Although for many, to reduce the carbohydrates they consume to the 150-170 grams per day recommended may be a drastic cut, in the long run, that is still too many carbs. But as itissteve mentioned, the mainstream thought left with the patient is to let the medication do the work. That works for a little while, lowering their blood sugar, but eventually it goes back up and more medication is given.

In addition to the Recipes Forum, there are lots of ideas of things to eat in the Diabetes Diet and Nutrition Forum especially in the sticky threads at the top. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. If you have any questions as you peruse the forums, be sure to ask them, someone here on the forum should be able to get you an answer. There is a lot of experience shared in the threads on this forum.

Thank you for the welcome and the links to a few places for me to view.

I'm sure I will be asking lots of advice from you all as I learn what is needed for this topic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Peepers does have a cool avatar!
The evil yellow bird in my av is named Banana, she owns my heart and is a little bit of a freak when it comes to picking on the family members who wear eye glasses and sunglasses. I often see her looking through the lens of our glasses here and wonder what exactly she sees.

It was only fitting to give her a pair of her own specs and make her look COOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts