The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am recently diagnosed with Type 2 D. I had chest pain in late November and had a stent placed in the circumvent artery in my heart on 1.1.2010. Upon admission to the hospital my a1c was 8.2 and my tryglicerides were 300 plus. So while I am recovering from the heart procedure, the the docs dump this diabetes thing in my lap. Wow what a lot to swallow. I have been following this forum and finally decided to introduce myself. You people are a wealth of information so let me say a big Thank YOU!

I was initially prescribed 2 mgs of amaryl then bumped up to 3 mgs/day. With your help and my primary care doc and some friends in my cardiac rehab I have gotten my bg somewhat under control. My fasting bg is now averaging 100-115 and my evening bg is around 160. I have been eating low carb for 50 days and eat 3 meals and 2 snacks /day. There is a lot of good info in this forum. My problem has been that after exercising my bg goes low. Sometimes 50 or 60. This is a scary place to go and I haven’t been able to eat enough carb to keep it higher. I finally asked my doc to change my D rx to metformin and I begin it Tuesday am. Any tips?

I went through the usual phases of grief after being diagnosed but am now in acceptance of my type 2 diabetes. It stinks to have it, but I know that I can live a productive, healthy, happy life. You people are an inspiration and I look forward to learning much more from you.
Best regards to all
Boseman:)
51 yr. old Male
Charleston, South Carolina, USA

Diagnosed Type2 Dec 1, 2010 - A1c: 8.4, Weight: 165 lb

As of Jan 24, 2011:
Average Fasting BG: 110, A1c: 7.1, Weight: 158 lb

Metformin 1x 500 per day
Aspirin 162 Mg per day
bystolic 2.5 mg per day
Effient (heart med) 10mg per day
Crestor 10 mg per day

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can't give you any advice about the metformin but there are a ton of people on this board who should be able to help you with that. I would like to welcome you to the forum and I hope we can encourage you as you learn this new condition and what it takes to live with the big D. I hope you come back often. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,
I am recently diagnosed with Type 2 D. I had chest pain in late November and had a stent placed in the circumvent artery in my heart on 1.1.2010. Upon admission to the hospital my a1c was 8.2 and my tryglicerides were 300 plus. So while I am recovering from the heart procedure, the the docs dump this diabetes thing in my lap. Wow what a lot to swallow. I have been following this forum and finally decided to introduce myself. You people are a wealth of information so let me say a big Thank YOU!

I was initially prescribed 2 mgs of amaryl then bumped up to 3 mgs/day. With your help and my primary care doc and some friends in my cardiac rehab I have gotten my bg somewhat under control. My fasting bg is now averaging 100-115 and my evening bg is around 160. I have been eating low carb for 50 days and eat 3 meals and 2 snacks /day. There is a lot of good info in this forum. My problem has been that after exercising my bg goes low. Sometimes 50 or 60. This is a scary place to go and I haven’t been able to eat enough carb to keep it higher. I finally asked my doc to change my D rx to metformin and I begin it Tuesday am. Any tips?

I went through the usual phases of grief after being diagnosed but am now in acceptance of my type 2 diabetes. It stinks to have it, but I know that I can live a productive, healthy, happy life. You people are an inspiration and I look forward to learning much more from you.
Best regards to all
Boseman:)
51 yr. old Male

As of Jan 24, 2011:

Metformin 1x 500 per day
Aspirin 162 Mg per day
bystolic 2.5 mg per day
Crestor 10 mg per day
Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Come on in and get comfortable :couch2: I am glad that you no longer want to just lurk around. I think that everyone with diabetes has a story and something to contribute. About Metformin, I took it for a couple of days following my diagnosis in 2000. I put up with the G/I side effects and they never got better so my doctor put me on Glipizide XL. I was doing ok on that and then in 2005 I needed to go on insulin. I tried Metformin ER this past September and I had no side effects. My appetite kind of disappeared for a few months, but I am still on it, but I always eat something with it when I take it. It is a really good medication to be on. Try it and see what happens, if you are in doubt, just ask your doctor for the ER version of it. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care.

G

·
welcome Boseman. It is daunting when first diagnosed, but you learn lots as you go and learn to take control. You will probably notice reading posts on here that we all have our ups & downs... that's just all part of it. Keeping a positive attitude is what counts most. I am T2 also and the first drug I was placed on was Metformin. The doc kept me on this for 5 years, but I have to say Metformin didn't agree with me at all (even the MR version here). I've since been on a few other drugs (some with side effects) which in the end didn't work on me, so now I'm on full time insulin. I'm one of those people where some pancreas beta cells have worn out and although I produce some insulin, I no longer produce enough for what I need. Look forward to your posts re: experiences. :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome Boseman!

Glad to see you de-lurk :) I am a long time T2, having beed diagnosed at a young age. I have been taking metformin for years and have not really had much problem with it. If you dont get past the initial gastric upset, I would definitely try the extended release version. I also am insulin dependant due to "beta cell burnout" so I use a pump. I am looking forward to hearing from you. We all learn so much from each other here and knowledge is power, afterall :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome to the site. as far as the lows during exercise. check your sugars before exercising and always have your meter w/ you along w/ extra carbs and ID stating you're a diabetic w/ contact info (this is for worst case scenarios but they do happen so be prepared)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I never took amaryl but have heard it causes lows. I have been on the maximum amount of metformin 2550 mg for almost 4 years and very few problems. Until just recently I never had a low. I think that was because I had a couple of glasses of wine. Actually when I exercise I tend to spike a little. We are all so different. I also do low carb and find it a great way to control bgs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Boseman; thank you for joining us! The gang has filled you in on all the basics, so I won't repeat . . . we're just glad you're here & hope you'll come often.

Your profile picture is such a good one - would it work as your avatar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many Thanks Everyone!
I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I usually visit nightly and will begin "jumping in" to the discussions.

I am on day 2 of 500 mg of metformin with no gastric side effects so far. I have my fingers crossed.

Peace to all!

Boseman
51 yr. old Male

As of Jan 24, 2011:

Metformin 1x 500 per day
Aspirin 162 Mg per day
bystolic 2.5 mg per day
Crestor 10 mg per day

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I never had some of the side effects that some get. I find as long as I limit carbs I am ok. If I overdo it on the carbs I get bloated and gassy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts