The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Umm I'm 30 yrs old has had type 2 for two yrs now I'm on metformin a thousand m a day twice a day plus I take insulin 40 in the morning an 42 at nite my numbers are off the wall this week has been a ok wk I guess considering that's it still high I was told that it looks like mine is changing into type 1 its so confusing we have also been trying to have another baby but still nothing yet I didn't realize all that goes hand and hand with this.......where are you all from?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

New York here

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Same here and thanks
you're welcome.

there are a lot of really good members here.

So you mentioned that you are two years out now? How is your control?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, dmc. If you were correctly diagnosed to begin with, you won't be changing what type you are. Who says and why are they saying that you're changing into a type 1? Many type 2s use insulin, but it doesn't turn them into type 1s.

If you can get your levels back under control, you shouldn't have any trouble having another baby either. What kind of diet do you eat?

I think you may need a few more posts to gain "active membership" & be able to post pictures.

Thanks for joining us . . . I hope you can visit often!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My diabetic teacher told me that
What does he base that opinion on? Unless you've tested positive for GAD antibodies, you prob'ly aren't type 1, but you might be type 1.5 -- will they be running tests to make the determination? But you wouldn't CHANGE into a type 1.5 - you'd have been wrongly diagnosed to begin with. They need to check you for GAD antibodies.

I only mentioned taking insulin, because that's a common mistake - people think if we take insulin, we must be type 1.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome DMC :) I'm type 2 also and I'm on insulin full time with no other diabetes meds accept blood pressure med to keep my blood pressure under control. I'm not sure why they are trying to tell you that you may be type 1? Do you know what the result was from your GAD and C-peptide tests? It could be that you're like me and you're type 2 but you don't produce enough of your own insulin anymore? I'm still classed as type 2 from what I know. Although as Shanny says... people can say you're type 1 as they associate insulin usage with type 1. I've even had nurses tell me that... so I think there is not a lot of education out there about what types of diabetes there are and how they are treated. Another example is when people know you have type 2 and they say things like "you must have brought that on yourself because of your lifestyle...because it's a lifestyle disease"... well that's also untrue. There's other precursors aside from weight and exercise that contribute to developing diabetes.
I'm from Western Australia and we're having one hot long summer here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts