The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Im Jeremy 40, married and have t2. My wife and I live in the western U.P. of Michigan. Ive been t2 for about 10 years now. Im really lazy when it comes to D. I had a heart to heart with my CDE yesterday and I will work my tail off to get things under control.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome i am also t 2 less than a year and 53. I also find it a challenge to stay the course bur think it is worth the effort. I am also 6'1" & down to 164 lbs now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Its good that you made the decision that you did. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have been D for 4.5 years and my husband has been D for 15 years. We have very different ways of dealing with our diabetes. I am obsessive about low carb diet and testing and take metformin. He has a laissez fare attitude and never tests and doesn't worry about food too much. He does exercise like a mad man though. He is on Actos. We both have good HbA1c's in the 5's. So a lot of the trick in managing diabetes is finding a med and lifestyle that works for you. Little by little I have changed the way my husband eats because I do the shopping and cooking. I now know if I don't buy it, I won't eat it.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome aboard! You've certainly made the right call getting things under control. As long as you're still above ground, there's time to improve your health.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hello everyone. Im Jeremy 40, married and have t2. My wife and I live in the western U.P. of Michigan. Ive been t2 for about 10 years now. Im really lazy when it comes to D. I had a heart to heart with my CDE yesterday and I will work my tail off to get things under control.
Hey Yoopy - stopping by your introductory thread to poke you in the ribs.

What's your strategy for staying on top of your diabetes now? You had a high number this morning, but didn't say what your plan is. Are you modifying your diet? What are you eating, changing, doing?

I'm asking not to be a nudge - oh well, maybe I am ...

You see, I had undiagnosed diabetes that was out of control. I didn't know about it, but if I had been more on top of my health I would've cuz I would've had blood tests ...

Don't know how long I was with big numbers like you're reporting, but I'm going to lose my functional vision due to 2 eye diseases, one of which calls out diabetes as a risk factor. I'd give anything to have known about my diabetes and had the chance to control it and avoid this. Damn near anything. Complications are not theoretical.

You have that chance. Hope you take it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Moon
Ive fallen back into my hole again. I reinstalled the app on my phone again so there is hope. I know when it's time to ask for help. I know I can't do this alone. It's time for me to start asking for help and looking for friends. I'm going to be around this forum a lot more from now on.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Moon
Ive fallen back into my hole again. I reinstalled the app on my phone again so there is hope. I know when it's time to ask for help. I know I can't do this alone. It's time for me to start asking for help and looking for friends. I'm going to be around this forum a lot more from now on.
That's the best news I've heard all day!

If the only diabetes friends you can find are the ones in cyberspace - terrific! We're here for you day & night!

I really don't have friends with diabetes either, and the people on this forum are closer to my heart than much of my family.

We're looking forward to seeing you more often, so take care, Jeremy.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Glad you're back, Jeremy, very glad. I tell you, I couldn't have reined in my own diabetes beast without this place.

Congrats on posting your fasting number. Accountability, seeing it in print, is important and a major step.

Now don't stray off again now, ya hear?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's the best news I've heard all day!

If the only diabetes friends you can find are the ones in cyberspace - terrific! We're here for you day & night!

I really don't have friends with diabetes either, and the people on this forum are closer to my heart than much of my family.

We're looking forward to seeing you more often, so take care, Jeremy.
I now feel that the best friends I have are on this forum. I know no one else who has diabetes (except my mom) who can understand what I am going through...

Jeremy welcome the forum. Its nice your made up your mind to get things under control. You will succeed very soon.

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hey Jeremy, welcome back! We're glad you're hear and glad you're serious!

Take control, cut out those carbs, exercise and be healthy!

One thing I've learned is diabetics DESERVE to be healthy - just as much as everyone does!

Nice to see you, :wave:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

I'm so frustrated with myself. Why don't I care what happens? Even pain doesn't make me care. I'm so frustrated.
Bringing this over from the morning fasting thread, so we can talk about you.

You said the morning before something about having a can of peaches and not washing them off. You know, washing off canned peaches doesn't make a nickel's worth of difference. You need to have different snacks around. It might be time to talk specifics.

Do you cook or does your wife? Neither? Both? What are your habits? I'm thinking if your wife does the cooking and neither of you are educated about diabetes and what you need to be doing, then it's no wonder your numbers aren't coming down.

You've given us some numbers, but not talked about specifically what you are trying to do, or even what you think you should be doing.

You've got the greatest resource here in the world in terms of information and support. We'll be the wind at your back if you'll let us.

You're not the first person to be depressed about diabetes, and it's tough for that to change until you incorporate some changes and see some success, and find out that diabetes is infinitely livable. Really. It is.

I'm thinking you need some tools, strategies - but first we need to know what your biggest problem areas are. What are you eating most days? What are your biggest temptations?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Moon. I think my biggest problem is not testing not injecting my insulin as I'm supposed to and not using my Byetta. I'm so lazy. You would think I would be on top of this since I've got wicked neuropathy in my feet, hands and tip of my nose. I'm going to really work on testing, injecting insulin and logging my results. I know all the basics. My biggest problem is just doing what I should.

My wife cooks but only a couple times a week. I normally live on sandwiches and frozen pizza. I don't cook much for fear of falling and burning myself.

I'm going to have a chat with my wife and see if she can stop buying the frozen pizza and start buying tortillas and thin buns. She was buying salad fixings but for some reason stopped doing that.

I've got to go have my a1c checked tomorrow and I'm scared of getting my results. My last one was 8.4 but I know this one is going to be terrible. My best was 6.4 and I was so proud of myself then I just upped and quit. My doc and cde are not going to be happy with me. It's time to buckle down.

I'm very thankful I found this forum and I'd like to thank everyone who is trying to help me. I hope from all this I become a better D patient and maybe ever help someone with this problem too. Maybe someone who is embarrassed by what they are doing or not doing can read this and say "Yeah I know exactly what he's going through. If he can do it I can too." So thank you to everyone for helping me find my way back to good numbers.

·
Registered
741 Posts
as I just posted in the other thread it is very easy to get depressed and angry and frustrated with diabetes but even moreso when your numbers are as high as yours are at the moment...my brain won't function and I get all confused and spiral all over the place...don't be too hard on yourself...you need to preserver and get those numbers down...trust me once you do that you will feel massively better...it is a viscous cycle...you feel bad until you feel better lol if that makes sense...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi d33na. You are absolutely right. The thing is and I'm sure everyone says this at one time or another. After I start feeling better I give up and go back to feeling like crap. It's almost like a punishment. I have to feel awful to justify why I can't work. I know D isn't the reason why I can't work but it's an easy scapegoat. I feel so awful watching my wife go off to work every night and I stay home watching tv and playing on the computer. Not even having heart surgery justifies it in my mind. I know this is my problem and I have to work this out.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Moon. I think my biggest problem is not testing not injecting my insulin as I'm supposed to and not using my Byetta. I'm so lazy. You would think I would be on top of this since I've got wicked neuropathy in my feet, hands and tip of my nose. I'm going to really work on testing, injecting insulin and logging my results. I know all the basics. My biggest problem is just doing what I should.

My wife cooks but only a couple times a week. I normally live on sandwiches and frozen pizza. I don't cook much for fear of falling and burning myself.

I'm going to have a chat with my wife and see if she can stop buying the frozen pizza and start buying tortillas and thin buns. She was buying salad fixings but for some reason stopped doing that.

I've got to go have my a1c checked tomorrow and I'm scared of getting my results. My last one was 8.4 but I know this one is going to be terrible. My best was 6.4 and I was so proud of myself then I just upped and quit. My doc and cde are not going to be happy with me. It's time to buckle down.

I'm very thankful I found this forum and I'd like to thank everyone who is trying to help me. I hope from all this I become a better D patient and maybe ever help someone with this problem too. Maybe someone who is embarrassed by what they are doing or not doing can read this and say "Yeah I know exactly what he's going through. If he can do it I can too." So thank you to everyone for helping me find my way back to good numbers.
Hi Yoopy,

Yoopy, you need to test more often, the more information you have about your body the more you can do something about it.
I would suggest you stop thinking about tortillas and thin buns till atleast you get things under control.
You will get things in control very soon. I am confident that you will.
Once you do, you will start feeling better automatically

Tony

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Tony that's great advice. I'll work on it. I don't have a shortage of strips. I just tested.

I just injected another 50 of Humalog and did 5 minutes breathing exercise.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts