The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im 33 years old was dx with type 2 diabetes in early 2010. Since then its been a constant strugle but recently for the past 6 or 7 months it has gotten better... My ac1 was 9.5 and my bs numbers were up in the 500 and 600 range for a while. But i changed my diet and been on glyburide 2x a day and 30 units of lantus at bed time which has brought my a1c down to around 7 as of last week... And weirdly enough for some reason my numbers are back up again around 160 fasting and around 300 after meals so im not happy... I've been calling my doc and its like pulling teeth to get help ive been feeling the effects of the higer sugar levels I have dry mouth, excessive thirst and im constantly urinating... I dont know what to do so I find myself here looking for some support and advice... :drama:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Heidi,

Welcome to the forum. Good to see that you have made progress on your A1c's.

You will learn a lot of stuff (like i am) that will help you tremendously. There are some great people here.

Have a look at the website www.bloodsugar101.com. There may be a chance that a lot of what you've learnt about what you should eat as a diabetic would be challenged. Several of us have benefitted from a low carb diet. Are you following one already ?

I will wait for other experts to comment but have a look at the website. Its a great starting and reference point

Tony

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hey Heidi9478...Welcome to the Forum! You will find some really great information from some really great people here.

I am also struggling to keep my numbers down. I've been diabetic for many years now, however my control has gotten rough lately. I had all my numbers go berserk on me last year about this time, and I worked really hard and began to bring them down again. However, the beginning of this year my numbers starting creeping up again. Long story short, my last A1C at end of August was 12.1. Not good. I follow a very low carb/high fat diet (and still actually limit the fat somewhat due to high trigs and cholesterol), I exercise 3-4 days a week, and I am currently taking metformin 2000 mg a day and I use Levemir and Humulog. I just started the insulin last week, so still tweaking it, but I'll have really great numbers and then "bam" I get some highs in there for no reason.
Sometimes your body can react to hormones, sickness, infection, stress...many different situations. This can all affect your blood sugar. I am menopausal, so my fluctuating hormones can cause my numbers to spike. There is nothing I can really do about it other than just keep on trying to control. I know what you mean about getting some help from the doctor's office...
If you are not eating low carb, try looking at the foods you are eating and obtain the carb counts. Most people eating low carb shoot for under 75 g a day. I try not to go over 50 g a day. Also, be cautious of anything that is grain, even if it is a whole grain or what the ADA calls a "complex carb". Carbs are carbs. They will raise your bg's. Also, it could be that you need to adjust the Lantus. If you look at many of the posters here, they keep their bg's below say 110 always, and their A1C's are usually in the low 5's. . I know 7 is good for a diabetic (that's what the doctors tell me too), but it really is still high. I would suggest making an appointment with the doctor and looking into combination of Lantus and a fast acting insulin for meal times. I know I had difficulty with Lantus alone a few years ago.
Ask any other questions that you need help with. Someone on here will gladly give you their opinion!

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oh, and by the way, when I said above about carbs, what I meant was that you need to see what carbs affect your bg's by using your meter, or what others here refer to eat to your meter. Check your bg before you eat a meal, pay close attention to what you are eating, and then check your bg 2 hours after meal to see how your body responded to what you ate. If you had a big spike, then you need to eliminate the food that caused the spike. It is a trial and error effect, and everyone is different. I found out I cannot eat peanut butter, even natural peanut butter, because it causes a spike in my bg. Even though peanut butter is on the lower end of carbs, it affects me in a negative way. Just an example for you. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Hi all and thanks for the replys... Just want to let you guys know I am on a low carb diet have been for a while now and have lost around 40 pound so far... and i excersise as much as I can... Im just frustrated with my doc because I feel like my bs is getting out of control again and im trying to have a child and want to be in a good place i'm doing all i can do on my part just dont feel like my doc is for example i've been calling his office since last week explaining whats going on and I got a we cant see you for 2 weeks if you continue feeling bad go to the er so i do i was afraid i was starting to become deydrated which I was right got there and was put on iv fluids and they gave me some insulin because my bp was 300 anyways i call the docs office and leave 3 messages and dont get a call till today which was a waste because the stupid nurse had now clue on what to tell me so I sit here waiting for another call hoping I can get some answers so angry trying not to stress....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm freshly diagnosed, so I won't try to act like I have good advice to give, but I can say that this last week, my numbers shot up a good 70 points on average. My diet hasn't changed, except that I cheated once or twice over the weekend. The big difference since the numbers have gone up is stress. I have been trying to land a particular job, and it requires me to take several tests and essentially they interview only the best 5 test scores. Needless to say, pressure city. But now that the tests are done with (and I got an interview, yay!) my numbers have gone back into the normal range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,
I have been checking my bs before and after meals and it seems like everything i eat spikes my sugar i've tried eating little carbs to almost none i've tried adding more carbs and that was a nightmare needles to say I cant find a good combo. I try to make my meals as healthy as possible and its frustrating my sugars are high im staying hungry thirsty and constantly urinating lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heidi,
I'm not trying to be funny here, but if nothing else has changed and your numbers are still up, it could be a result of the full moon. Its been full for the last few days.

Do a search for "full moon diabetes" and apparently several people have noticed this phenomena. I'm too new to post links, but I quickly found several other diabetics writing about this.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi all and thanks for the replys... Just want to let you guys know I am on a low carb diet have been for a while now and have lost around 40 pound so far... and i excersise as much as I can... Im just frustrated with my doc because I feel like my bs is getting out of control again and im trying to have a child and want to be in a good place i'm doing all i can do on my part just dont feel like my doc is for example i've been calling his office since last week explaining whats going on and I got a we cant see you for 2 weeks if you continue feeling bad go to the er so i do i was afraid i was starting to become deydrated which I was right got there and was put on iv fluids and they gave me some insulin because my bp was 300 anyways i call the docs office and leave 3 messages and dont get a call till today which was a waste because the stupid nurse had now clue on what to tell me so I sit here waiting for another call hoping I can get some answers so angry trying not to stress....
You need to find a new doctor...one who will be responsive to your needs. I have no place in my life with doctors who are that busy that they cannot even return a phone call; especially if you are having spikes that high. Tell us what a typical day eating-wise is for you...and don't leave anything out. It could be you are eating something that is spiking you without you even realizing it. Again, you need to see which food that you ate spiked your bs. Low carbing is definitely the way to go, but I've learned there are foods that I would have thought were very low carb, or no carb for that matter, and discovered it did have carbs and was causing high's for me. Don't freak out; many, many people who had high numbers and got them under control to help you. This forum has saved me. I have learned so much more information here than I have over the years from all the doctors I've seen (and trust me, there have been alot!). My numbers are fluctuating right now, but I know they will get better. Sometimes you just have to tweak the insulin, or the food just right. Keep us informed...let us know what a typical menu is for you daily. Thanks....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Heidi? If you're trying to make your meals "healthy" by eating grains and fruit, it doesn't work for people with diabetes. Grains and fruit boost our BG skyhigh. Back off on foods made with any kind of grain (corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc.) and if you must have fruit, go for small portions of berries.

Welcome to DF! :wave:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That is very interesting DeepBreath...I'm going to google that one. Maybe that is why I am having some highs the past couple of days. My numbers were in the very good range, and then all of a sudden they go up 30-40 points? I'm eating the same, so can't be food. Thanks for posting that. So many things in this world affect our blood sugar levels, and everything about us it isn't even funny. Not bad enough food can kill us, but now a full moon? Yeeeeshhh!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Heidi? If you're trying to make your meals "healthy" by eating grains and fruit, it doesn't work for people with diabetes. Grains and fruit boost our BG skyhigh. Back off on foods made with any kind of grain (corn, wheat, oats, rice, etc.) and if you must have fruit, go for small portions of berries.

Welcome to DF! :wave:
Listen to Shanny...she knows! And Shanny, I was eating that way ("healthy grains and fruit") and you are absolutely right...I learned we cannot eat that way even though the dietician's, nutritionists, and even doctors will tell you that is how a diabetic should eat. Such a crazy, mixed up world we live in! I'm so glad to have found the extremely informative and intelligent individuals here on the forum. Why aren't you guys making the big bucks all these "so-called" diabetic educators are? You certainly have more wealth of information that is actually correct and actually works than they do. Shame they spent so much money on their educations just to be told wrong. Oh well. I'm just thankful I have you and the rest of the forum family!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well lets see for breakfest I had a egg and a few pieces of turkey bacon and for lunch i had a salad with grilled chicken breast with a glass of sugar less green tea and for dinner im going to have a small plate of shrimp alfrado and for snacks ill usualy munch on some veggies or berries

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well lets see for breakfest I had a egg and a few pieces of turkey bacon and for lunch i had a salad with grilled chicken breast with a glass of sugar less green tea and for dinner im going to have a small plate of shrimp alfrado and for snacks ill usualy munch on some veggies or berries
Okay, nothing seems odd in the breakfast (did you use milk to make the eggs?), and lunch okay (did the salad dressing have sugar?), and the dinner if you are eating the shrimp alfredo with pasta I would be careful as the pasta may cause a huge spike in bg's (unless your bg's can handle a small amount of pasta). Snacks are okay as well (depending on what type of veggies). All I can offer is to make a chart showing your bg's in AM (fasting), before breakfast, 2 hrs after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before dinner, 2 hours after dinner, and then at bedtime. Record when you take your meds/insulin and how much. This will show you when you are spiking and what the spikes are. I'm keeping track this way and it is working well for me. Also, you said that you are on Lantus? No fast-acting? You might need to use a fast-acting before meals to help keep those high spikes down. It is working much better for me than just using a basal, or long acting, insulin as I did in the past with no success. Keep us informed. It will get better. Just don't give up. And please, look for a new doctor!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I didnt use milk in my breakfest and now sugar in my salad either just a few drops of vinger and I snacked on some cucumber and I can tolorate a lil bit of whole grain pasta with out a huge spike. I was on a sliding scale of humilin but my dumb doctor took me off when my a1c droped to 7 for some odd reason which im starting to think was a huge mistake... I'm looking into a new doc as we speek I realized the one i've been seeing is a complete idiot

·
Registered
497 Posts
From what my dietition and diabetes care team have told me is that if you "No Carb" totally, your liver will dump. A little carb is better that no carb to prevent the "dump". I have had worse numbers with no carbs than I do with having small amounts. I have about 90-120 a day. But that is me.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Heidi, welcome to the forum. How many carbs do you eat a day? I thought I was eating low carb for about a year and my numbers didn't cooperate until I upped my metformin to 2550 mg and cut my carbs to 30 a day. The difference was unbelievable. If you are already doing that it could be that you were misdiagnosed. Many people who are dx'd type 2 may actually be type 1.5 or LADA which is slow onset type 1. At first you go through a honeymoon period but that wears off and numbers go wild. Ask your doctor for a C Peptide and a GAD Antibody test.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im on about 30 carbs too and it seemed to work great for a while and my numbers were ok not the greatest but not the worst I lost 40 pounds in about 3 months and im still losing slowly but for the past week an a half my numbers have been every where from 140 to 300... I will ask about the tests you mentioned Ive never heard of type 1.5 had now idea there was such a thing since those in my family have type 2 which were dx in their early 30's like myself i figured it was just my destiny lol my moms mom had tye 2 as well as my mom and her brother and now they say i do too

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Hi Heidi - welcome to the forum, and I'm sorry you're going through this frustrating period.

Mostly I'm glad you're moving on to another doc. Your prior one sounds better suited for another profession!

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you... And yes hes a jerk on my last visit he asked me what I was doing there well duh for my 3 month check up moran said he didnt have to see me because i was there in july for another reason that nothing to do with my diabetes I was sick with bronchitis dummy lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts