The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across the forums and thought I would join. Diagnosed as type 2 in 2007 though I did not begin to get adequate treatment until I got wise and ditched the bad doctor in 2010 when my glucose levels were still not in control after 3 years.

Long story short its been a hard 2 years making a lot of changes to my lifestyle. Very begrudgingly I add. It has payed off though. 2010 A1c was 11.2. 2011 was 9.4 and I'm waiting on the results for my latest and hopefully big change. I went from average levels of 430+ to 200 and finally now the past several months I have had fasting levels in the 90s.

I was/am a carb junkie and its taken a lot of effort to make changes. It has been a really slow process for me and Ive fallen into the cycle of trying to change to much to fast then swan diving off the wagon when it gets to much. The past 6 months or so have been much better though as I add new things slowly. I don't know if its the best way but its working for me now. I've actually had to deal with low numbers on occasion and as bad as I know that is I can't help but feel secretly proud about it hehe.

Anyways! I don't really know anyone else in my own life who has diabetes so I'm really happy to find a place where I can see that I'm not alone with all of my fears and worries. Glad to have found it.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome

Some times I get really pissed at the "medical community" for not having a clue.

keep up the good work.

PS what drugs are you on?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to meet you, budgie. Welcome aboard.

Methinks there are quite a few of us who aren't well acquainted with other diabetics in our lives, but this place is a godsend for me & a lot of others - I'm glad you found us & decided to join! You seem to be gaining a good grasp of what is needed & how to accomplish it. I'm like 86 - I get really teed off at the medical establishment for their ignorance & deliberate cluelessness.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I think many of us found our way to online forums because we got lots of bad info from our doctors, dieticians and CDE's. I remember asking my doctor about testing and he said it was optional for type 2's. My HbA1c was almost 11 and he didn't put me on medication. Even though I was not overweight he told me to lose 10% of my weight. I left the office dazed and confused. Thank heavens for online forums and finally getting the correct info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow glad I'm not the only one who had a clueless doctor. I was really mad about it but I try not to put all the blame on them. I'm at least partially to blame for not doing something sooner :)

Well all in the past. Glad to be here and thanks for the welcomes!

My current lineup is:
Metformin 500mg x4 (2 pills twice a day)
Glimepiride 2MG x2
Januvia 100mg x1
Byetta 10 x2
Lyrica 75mg x2

Feels like a lot sometimes but doc feels confident as I loose weight I'll prolly need less medication help so heres hoping for that.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Feels like a lot sometimes but doc feels confident as I loose weight I'll prolly need less medication help so heres hoping for that.
An even bigger impact than weight loss is carb reduction. I know you said you've struggled with that, but you've had some great success too. You didn't say how many carbs you eat per day, or what percentage of your diet is carbs, but I can track my blood sugar by the carbs I eat pretty closely/directly. Stress, illness, exercise, other things can play a role in odd readings - but in the main, it's usually all about the carbs.

I also had high numbers at dx, and was given glipizide (a pancreas-stimulator like glimepiride) in addition to maximum metformin, but with a pretty immediate low-carb diet I was able to go off of it and manage with the met. My drop in numbers was relatively swift. Since our pancreas has finite insulin-producing capability, I wanted off the glipizide as soon as possible.

Anyway, my point is that your desire to reduce meds makes sense, and the good news is that you don't need to wait for weight-loss to accomplish that.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've only been D for 5 years and have lost all the weight I needed to but have not been able to reduce my meds. I find the best thing for me is to eat very low carb. I know during the holidays I fell off the wagon a little and sure enough bg went up 20-30 points. So with the new year I am back on the wagon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nutritionalist/nurse I saw last year wanted me to do 75g x3 for meals and 25x2 for snacks. Usually I don't eat meals that are much over 50 though. Most of the lower carb recipes I have been using now are around the 45-55 range and it seems to work well for me.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine Dx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,
i am new in this forum , me very glad to see all the members of this forum , so please do welcome me guys, thanks....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Algernon said:
Hello everyone,
i am new in this forum , me very glad to see all the members of this forum , so please do welcome me guys, thanks....
Hi Algernon,

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend you start a new thread in the introduce yourself section and tell us more about yourself.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Indeed we will welcome you, Al. I hope you don't mind the nickname...Tell us about your time with this condition, which one is it...type 1 or 2, and how you are managing it.

Ask any question you'd like and never fear a dumb question. The only dumb one is the one not asked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts