The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My name is Colin. I don't as of yet have any diagnosis. I have some symptoms that may implicate diabetes and my entire immediate family (mother, two brothers) are all diabetic or prediabetic, plus some cousins, aunts and uncles. I'm 44 years old. I don't eat really great but also not super bad, but def not healthy, lots of carbs, and other than work where I basically push a grocery cart all over creation for 8 hours (at Walmart), I get pretty much exactly zero exercise. I'm a couch potato. I'm not overweight, but pretty thin, but I have developed belly fat under the muscles in the last two years which makes my stomach push out. Certain other symptoms are getting worse (particularly neuropathy in my toes and a lot of foot issues) which is why I'm here. Basically I came here to ask other people if the symptoms I am experiencing are common with diabetes, and if others have them or did, and if they think I ought to seek medical care or not. I have had my sugar tested once or twice and it's been ok, but it's my understanding that the typical tests can miss things and so a lot of people go undiagnosed. One of my friends went undiagnosed until he had to have a toe and a chunk of his foot removed. I'd like to avoid that if possible! I am not sure which area of the forum would be appropriate for that, so please direct me, or if maybe there is another forum where that is more the focus. Thanks for taking the time to read all that lol. Ciao

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Hello, Colin. Welcome to the site!
The symptoms you mentioned are frequently found on diabetics, but they’re not exclusive to diabetes.

You didn’t mention exactly which tests you took, but if your medical provider suspects you may be diabetic he or she should give you an A1c test. That test measures excessive glucose in your blood over several months, a better indicator of how your body is handling the glucose over more than just a few hours. Once the results are in, you’ll find out the next step.

it never hurts, though, to start eating better. I’m on mobile now but if mbuster doesn’t have time to respond before I getback to my computer I’ll post some links to Web sites

·
Super Moderator
9,940 Posts
Hi Colin, welcome to the forum. Glad you found us but hate you had to.

I think I had type 2 diabetes a few years before getting diagnosed. When it finally happened, I was told I was type 2 slim. I was tired all the time, had a loss of energy and mental want to, if that makes sense. I was urinating more frequently and was always thirsty. Didn't get bad enough for neuropathy, probably because my wife had a blood sugar meter that she was given when an aunt passed away and we were randomly checking our BG. Mine was running higher than it should have been and I noticed spikes after certain foods. That's when I thought I ought to check this out some more.

My advice would be to get you a BG meter and test strips and start checking yours before and after meals. Testing before a meal gives you a reference point of where you are, an hour after you first start eating should show what your food did to you and two hours after should tell you how you your system handled it. Most people usually see a peak in their BG an hour or so after eating, and around two hours after eating should be back down to their pre-meal level. Normal people usually don't go much over 140 if that high and are back below 100 after 2 hours. Of course there are a lot of variable that come into play.

A very good source of information is Bloodsugar 101. You'll notice at the top of the page it says "What they don't tell you about diabetes". It is a very true statement, because there is a wealth of information there. It is also written in a way that is not complicated, but you can also find great detail. Almost everything there will reference the source of the studies the info comes from, it's not just opinion being stated.

The biggest source of what turns into blood sugar (blood glucose) is the carbs we eat. So if you get high blood glucose readings, one of the quickest, easiest, safest ways is to change your diet and reduce the number of carbs you eat. You can search the internet for low carb LCHF, or keto diets and find quite a bit of info out there. One site that was highly recommended back when I stumbled across this forum was DietDoctor.com and there are a lot of other good sites as well.

There is also a lot of very good information in the forum as well. Click the dots and lines symbol between your avatar and the NEW quote symbol to get to a listing of the different forums and subforums here on DiabetesForum.

LIke itissteve said, your doctor should be able to schedule you an A1c test or an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) to confirm your suspicion. I bet some frequent testing readings with your own meter would be beneficial for the doctor to have as well. You can get one from Walmart, I'd probably start with the in house brand because the test strips can be more expensive with other brands. If your BG isn't the issue, you're not out of too much money.

When you have questions, ask away, because the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Reactions: itissteve
1 - 3 of 3 Posts