Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello Diabetes Forum

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shanny 
#1 ·
I've read posts here for about a week, and it seems like a good place to be.

Nutshell background: Pre-diabetes numbers came back in bloodwork in April, 2009. Two doctors were too nice about it. One said "cut out white bread and soda" while the other said "cut back on sweets." *I* made the pre-diabetes connection from researching and reading about it.

I went through a really good weight loss program about five years ago. I learned quite a bit about nutrition. That knowledge has already been very helpful in working on this problem. I also exercised consistently for a few years, including being an outdoor runner for an entire year.

Right now I have four questions. Short answers will work the same as long answers:

1. If you are a consistent exerciser, do you eat before or after exercising? I used to eat after, but have read on the Internet that it's better, from an 'avoiding hyperglycemia' standpoint, that one should eat before working out. The reasoning was that it's a better way to control a spike, because the glucose avoids sitting in the body and contributing to the rise. It is used in the muscles for energy. If the meal choices are good, and probably will not spike the blood, is it still important to eat after exercising, or can the exercise be done at any time.

2. I'm looking for opinions on this sentence: 'It takes 2-3 months to get an HbA1C level down." I really understand that avoiding diabetes is a permanent lifestyle change, but I'm feeling much better after only a few weeks of cutting out bad stuff and eating much healthier foods. I guess my questions are 'Why does it take so long for that number to decline?' and, 'Is it possible that I will I feel a lot better in 2-3 months? (Yes, I realize that I can't go back to the diet I had.)

3. Does anyone know where I can find a diabetes educator? Neither of the 'too nice' doctors mentioned above is an endocrinologist, and sometimes I need to discuss things face-to-face. Until I've made a solid effort and have not brought down my numbers, I don't really want to go through everything involved with seeing an endocrinologist.

Thank you so much,

not yet

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Update of the moment:

I'm doing o.k. I'm reading a lot of stuff about diabetes and have figured out the severity of the problem is based on what type of resource I'm reading at the moment. i.e. Good Housekeeping: Diabetes? No problem. Just watch what you eat and get that exercise in, and you'll be just fine. The journal Diabetes Care is quite different. For Type 1 diabetes, it is recommended....For Type 2 diabetes, 'there is no research that shows'...Carbohydrate intake, protein intake, micronutrient intake... The various perspectives are quite interesting.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
To warrenh: Thanks for your reply. If I decide to get a meter, it would be to check while running. I run out of energy and want to know if BG has anything to do with it.

To Iris: Thanks for your offer of a personal coach. My employer has registered dietiticians and certified diabetes educators. I am in the process of getting a referral from my doctor. With the economy approaching depression levels in my area, I'd prefer to spend my dollars locally.

To Richard: I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Diabetes-wise, I didn't do as well as I'd planned. I did, however, avoid a few foods that I like but have absolutely no good value for a diabetic. And I don't miss the stuff I passed up.

As soon as I can swing it, I want to work with an RD to see what & how I need to be eating in relation to the pre-diabetes. I know this is what I need to do, and part of me feels good about it. (Yeah!) The other part is slightly scared. (Irrational thought; taking care of it now is the better way to go.)

Take care everyone!

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow! Things have changed.

Hi Everyone! I can't believe it's been 3.5 months since I've read posts here.

Update of the moment: I lost my 2nd job (of 3) on 01.05.10 and have, for financial reasons, reduced my pre-diabetic state. I've almost completely cut out all desserts and sweets, and I feel a lot(!) better. I no longer feel extremely fatigued; I am no longer irritable and no longer feel a tiring pressure behind my eyes. I'm trying hard to eat a balanced, plant based diet. I am avoiding all breads, pastas, and rices. I am trying to not eat after 6:00 pm, and not overeat. Although my weight is not coming down as fast as I would like, the changes have helped.

I also lost my health care coverage shortly after losing the job , which is bad and well...
Yes, I need the coverage, but one of my doctors refused to believe that I was pre-diabetic. I just don't believe him. There are too many things that all point to pre-diabetes.

I haven't restarted exercising yet; I need to spend more time figuring out other painful health problems like fatigue that's not diabetes related before I get the soreness and pain that come with exercising.

I

'bye for now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.