Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello Diabetes Forum

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shanny 
I've read posts here for about a week, and it seems like a good place to be.

2. I'm looking for opinions on this sentence: 'It takes 2-3 months to get an HbA1C level down." I really understand that avoiding diabetes is a permanent lifestyle change, but I'm feeling much better after only a few weeks of cutting out bad stuff and eating much healthier foods. I guess my questions are 'Why does it take so long for that number to decline?' and, 'Is it possible that I will I feel a lot better in 2-3 months? (Yes, I realize that I can't go back to the diet I had.)
Hemoglobin is part of a red blood cell. Glucose binds with hemoglobin creating glycated hemoglobin. If you have poor control of your diabetes and you blood sugar is high, you will have a higher amount of glycated hemoglobin. The reason it takes 2-3 months to see a "true" reduction of this number is that a red blood cell lives approximately 3 months. For instance, two months ago my A1C was 12.6 (horrible I know). Six weeks later it was down to 10.1. Now my control was much better...but it isnt really a "true reflection" of my progress because some of those older red blood cells are still alive and showing up as high. A true reflection will show up 3 months after that first one, because all the old red blood cells will be gone, so previous damage wont still be showing up. Make sense?

Cheers
Pam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.