The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Annie and I was diagnosed yesterday. I'm still reeling a bit this morning. I bought a meter and have learned it's ways. I'm reading about low-carb eating and just trying to educate myself as much as possible. I have a very supportive hb, and 2 awesome kids (6 & 8).
My fasting (12 hr) level was 330 according to the dr. My A1c was 9.9. I'm 35, 5'7" and weigh 234.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to learn, and you have taken some great steps in the right direction.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello, my name is Annie and I was diagnosed yesterday. I'm still reeling a bit this morning. I bought a meter and have learned it's ways. I'm reading about low-carb eating and just trying to educate myself as much as possible. I have a very supportive hb, and 2 awesome kids (6 & 8).
My fasting (12 hr) level was 330 according to the dr. My A1c was 9.9. I'm 35, 5'7" and weigh 234.

Have a great day!
Hello and welcome - but sorry you had to join us :)

On the low carb front - which works! - a site (that you may already have found - but in case you haven't - ) is Blood Sugar 101. The author, Jenny Ruhl is herself diabetic, so she knows what it's like and she discusses many aspects of our new life style in a manner that makes a lot of sense.

It's well worth an hour or two.

This forum has many friendly and knowledgeable members who understand the issues all too well. If you have any questions, don't think twice about asking the forum - someone will know the answer and no-one stands on ceremony.

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Annie, welcome to DF. Blood Sugar 101 is a fantastic site and should be mandatory reading for all Type 2's. I was dx'd 5 years ago with an HbA1c of almost 11. Now I am in a normal range. So with diet, medication , exercise it can be done. You may have to make changes to your diet, but it is not so bad. I have learned a whole new way of cooking and baking and boy does it taste good. In the quest to control my bgs I also lost that last stubborn 30 pounds and weigh in now at my college weight with a BMI of 22. So Diabetes actually made me healthier. I did have to give up my vegetarian diet since it was too high carb for me. I am now eating eggs, cheese, beef and all sorts of high fat food and it helps me lose weight. There are lots of success stories here at DF. Read through some of the old threads and find tons of good info.

G

·
Welcome to the forum, Annie. The advice you've had so far has been spot on and I can't really add to it, so I'm just waving in support from the southern hemisphere and offering my support as another newly-diagnosed T2 diabetic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Annie. It's good for you that you found this site so soon after being diagnosed. There is some great advice here. Be sure to check out the recipe section of the forum. Some of those recipes really help when you are trying to stick with the low carb way of eating.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Annie,

The most important thing is that You will be fine and Diabetes can be successfully managed !

Welcome to the forum. You have great advice on the forum. Tell us more about your eating habits and we can help you tweak them.

You've come to the right place...

Tony

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum Annie,

As you browse the forum on a daily basis, you will learn more and more each day. When you start implementing that, good control will be within easy reach. So, hang on, visit and read a lot.

Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts