The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to every one here,
I am Jitendar Jain from India, I was diagnosed as diabetic type 2 last May soon after I turned 45.
Initially it was 275 fasting and 375 feasting, got my all check ups done and found that cholesterol and liver readings were way above permitted limit.
I been advised following drugs:
1. Gluformin G1 (before breakfast)
2. Gluformin 500 XL ( before dinner)
3. Febrator 10mg (after dinner)
4. Udihep 300 mg (after dinner)
5. Zevit (after dinner)
BS normalised in couple of weeks and everything came to normal in few months.
Now since last few days, I am getting erratic reading like yesterday night 2 hours after dinner BS was 131 and this morning it was 151 (fasting).
Can someone suggest me the cause of this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello to every one here,
I am Jitendar Jain from India, I was diagnosed as diabetic type 2 last May soon after I turned 45.
Initially it was 275 fasting and 375 feasting, got my all check ups done and found that cholesterol and liver readings were way above permitted limit.
I been advised following drugs:
1. Gluformin G1 (before breakfast)
2. Gluformin 500 XL ( before dinner)
3. Febrator 10mg (after dinner)
4. Udihep 300 mg (after dinner)
5. Zevit (after dinner)
BS normalised in couple of weeks and everything came to normal in few months.
Now since last few days, I am getting erratic reading like yesterday night 2 hours after dinner BS was 131 and this morning it was 151 (fasting).
Can someone suggest me the cause of this.
Hi, you might need to have a snack before bed.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Jitendar. It sounds like what happens to many diabetics - waking up a lot higher than when they went to bed. Same thing happened to me just today too. I was 96 last night and 125 this morning, and I DID have a snack before going to bed. It's a real aggravation. It is often referred to as dawn effect or dawn phenomenon (DP). So stay tuned - there are lots of ideas for how to manage it.

Tell us a little more about how you manage your diabetes; what kind of diet do you eat and what is your exercise regimen?

Thank you for joining us and I hope to see you here often.

take care,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Jitendar, welcome to the forum. Sometimes our blood sugar goes a bit wacky and there are probably many reasons for it. Shanny explained the "liver dump". Your fasting is just a little high. I wouldn't be too concerned right now. If your FBS is high every morning, then you may need some more medication at bedtime. I am sorry to say that I am not familiar with any of the medications that you are taking. Are you taking any insulin or just oral meds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, you might need to have a snack before bed.
Thanks for your input, normally I go to bad immediately after my dinner and feel alright but yesterday was late to go to bad and I was feeling little hungry.

Hi Jitendar, welcome to the forum. Sometimes our blood sugar goes a bit wacky and there are probably many reasons for it. Shanny explained the "liver dump". Your fasting is just a little high. I wouldn't be too concerned right now. If your FBS is high every morning, then you may need some more medication at bedtime. I am sorry to say that I am not familiar with any of the medications that you are taking. Are you taking any insulin or just oral meds?
03-27-2010 18:18
Thanks Breezeonby, yes I did read what shanny had written about it.
No its not high every morning, like it was 111 today, its erratic.
I am taking oral meds called Metaformin hydro.....500mg.
Welcome, Jitendar. It sounds like what happens to many diabetics - waking up a lot higher than when they went to bed. Same thing happened to me just today too. I was 96 last night and 125 this morning, and I DID have a snack before going to bed. It's a real aggravation. It is often referred to as dawn effect or dawn phenomenon (DP). So stay tuned - there are lots of ideas for how to manage it.

Tell us a little more about how you manage your diabetes; what kind of diet do you eat and what is your exercise regimen?

Thank you for joining us and I hope to see you here often.

take care,
Thanks Shanny, I manage it with low carb diet and 3 to 4 Km walk in the park, mostly in the evening and the meds.
We in India eat lot of vegetables and pulses in our meal with freshly baked rotis (home made bread) and rice, in the evening mostly take chicken curries with rice or roti.
I am 5.8" and weighs 67 kgs therefore slim and trim.
I live in India but have travelled a lot to US and Europe for my Fashion jewelry business from 1982 and still travel but not much then I was younger.
It was nice to meet you all and can continue our support to each other for better management of our diabetes.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks Shanny, I manage it with low carb diet and 3 to 4 Km walk in the park, mostly in the evening and the meds.
We in India eat lot of vegetables and pulses in our meal with freshly baked rotis (home made bread) and rice, in the evening mostly take chicken curries with rice or roti.
Nice to meet you and welcome! I also struggle with higher blood sugar readings in the morning. It is for certain a difficult problem to control and I still havent completely figured out how to convince my body it doesn't need to add glucose to my blood while I sleep.

Walking is great exercise, congrats for being dedicated with your exercise. It certainly does help the blood sugar control. I can always tell the difference on the days that I dont get some exercise.

Your diet sounds a little too high carb for me, but if it is working for you *that* is what matters. I can eat rice but only in very small quantities. Most of the time I just skip it. I cant eat white bread at all. I stick to a very lo carb whole grain instead.

Looking forward to getting to know you and sharing stories, advice and tips!

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to meet you and welcome! I also struggle with higher blood sugar readings in the morning. It is for certain a difficult problem to control and I still havent completely figured out how to convince my body it doesn't need to add glucose to my blood while I sleep.

Walking is great exercise, congrats for being dedicated with your exercise. It certainly does help the blood sugar control. I can always tell the difference on the days that I dont get some exercise.

Your diet sounds a little too high carb for me, but if it is working for you *that* is what matters. I can eat rice but only in very small quantities. Most of the time I just skip it. I cant eat white bread at all. I stick to a very lo carb whole grain instead.

Looking forward to getting to know you and sharing stories, advice and tips!

Cheers
Pam
Nice to meet you, My diet is not very high carb, our bread is whole grain bread always and rice is pure "Basmati" ( typical Indian long grain rice) and not very high in carb than regular rice.
Yes walking is best to reduce calories and in summer I go for swimming also.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Really? I wonder if we can get that kind of rice here....I will have to check it out...thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? I wonder if we can get that kind of rice here....I will have to check it out...thanks!
Dear Onaughmae, There are lot of Indian outlets in Dallas and other big cities in all over US who sells these rice, they also come from Pakistan as Pakistan is very close to India.
By the way where are you from Texas ?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I live in San Antonio. I have to go to the grocery store later today, I will look for it there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well the good news is that I found it...the bad news is that it actually has one gram more carb than the regular rice I already buy :( Oh well...thanks anyway, it was worth a try :)

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What study says here that Rice digest slowly hence releases sugar slowly for body to digest unlike other foods.
If I don't eat rice in my regular meal, I feel hungry within three hours and if I eat rice also with bread then it last for atleast 6 hours.
Rice in India is staple food for many, though there are more than 500 verieties in India like Mango. I love Mango but now I can't eat it much.
Best way to cook rice is to boil and drain out the starch and eat.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
jitendar? Are you testing before & after meals so that you know without a doubt you aren't being spiked by the rice & whole wheat bread? I know it's just lately that your fastings have begun to be erratic, but that goes along with diabetes being a progressive disorder. Just when we think we have it under control, it manages to break out somewhere else.

If you were to test an hour after eating, and find that the rice/bread combination is causing higher spikes than before, you could just back off a little on those two, and go heavier on the chicken, or whatever is the protein in your meals. Protein will fill you up and prevent hunger for a longer length of time. Protein & fats together can be a big help in stabilizing our BG.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Rice is considered a medium glycemic index food. I can tolerate it in small amounts only though. No more than a half cup serving. Anything more than that and I am having to correct a high later. But, thats just me and as we all know...you make your own mileage with this dratted disease! For instance, I can tolerate a good sized portion of grapes and a friend of mine cant eat them at all! The key for each of us is to test before and after and see what works for us :)

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear Shanny, I don't test many times and sometimes after week but I feel quite strongly if I am low or high on sugar and then only test, most of time I am right.
I go high of around 170 if I have taken some sweets along regular meal and low if I ate less than regular meal plus lot of walk in between.
When I go high I walk extra mile that days and I am fine and if I go low then I immediately take some sweets and really enjoy eating sweet that time, being diabetic and able eat sweet.
Lentils we eat are also high in protein and they are part of my meals every day.
Anoughmae, I also eat around one cup of rice and not more, My wife says that I eat as much as birds (mean eat very less).
I am in my first year of diabetes and learning a lot and has to learn a lot from you all.
One thing I want to reveal that I take 180 ml alcohol everyday and want to know the consequences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts