The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got diagnosed yesterday with Type 2 and found these boards and I know I will get a lot of support here. I just wanted to say Good Morning from Tennessee!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Just got diagnosed yesterday with Type 2 and found these boards and I know I will get a lot of support here. I just wanted to say Good Morning from Tennessee!!!!!!
Hello and welcome.

You'll find a lot of support and advice here but why don't you tell us a bit about yourself - in terms of medical history, how you found out that you qualified to join this forum, medications and anything else you feel you can share. That will help the other members avoid wasting your time with information that you don't need.

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome.

You'll find a lot of support and advice here but why don't you tell us a bit about yourself - in terms of medical history, how you found out that you qualified to join this forum, medications and anything else you feel you can share. That will help the other members avoid wasting your time with information that you don't need.

John
Hello there and thanks for responding. Well I am 52years old and I haven't been feeling good for a long time. When to a GYN appt and found 4+sugar in my urine. So I decided to get a thorough examination by my physician. And also I found out that I had lost 23 labs since September 2010 when I wasn't even dieting, also shrunk 1/2 inch. Saw my physician on Thursday and here are my results: B/P 194/78 A1C: 12.6 Fasting Glucose: 206 Chol: 255 Triglycerides very high. Sugar in the urine and also a bladder infection I didn't know I had. So I was called at my work yesterday and was told yes you are a Diabetic and the medications they were calling in for me. So now I am in overwhelmed mode. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello there and thanks for responding. Well I am 52years old and I haven't been feeling good for a long time. Went to a GYN appt and found 4+sugar in my urine. So I decided to get a thorough examination by my physician. And also I found out that I had lost 23 lbs. since September 2010 when I wasn't even dieting, also shrunk 1/2 inch. Saw my physician on Thursday and here are my results: B/P 194/78 A1C: 12.6 Fasting Glucose: 206 Chol: 255 Triglycerides very high. Sugar in the urine and also a bladder infection I didn't know I had. So I was called at my work yesterday and was told yes you are a Diabetic and the medications they were calling in for me. So now I am in overwhelmed mode. Thanks for listening.
I hope to learn alot here to get me on the path to a healthy lifestyle and to manage this. I love reading everyone's posts!!!!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! Sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. I take it you are a pediatric nurse? I'd suggest you have a look at our archives and join in the fray. You, like many of us, may have to ignore a lot of things you thought you knew. I know I did! I'd also suggest you read www.bloodsugar101.com for a good read today. Jenny Ruhl has a great educational site.

Anyway, welcome to our little gang!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello from your neighbor in Missouri. Sorry you had to come looking for us, but I'm sure glad you found us! ;)

I think once you get a handle on the blood glucose, you'll find your other numbers will drop to more normal levels too . . . that is often the effect of gaining good control of our diabetes.

Pat makes a good point that, as a medical professional, you may be disabused of a few basic rules you've been taught about diet. Diabetes places us in a parallel universe it seems. Through the looking glass!

As you've discovered, we're a chatty bunch & sometimes even a little rambunctious, rebellious, irreverent. But you won't find better support anywhere, and the breadth of knowledge, wisdom & experience here is unsurpassed.

Take care and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the forums and I am new as well but I can tell you these are a bunch of people who really help, listen and guide you along with it.

<- 3 days old in this forum and yet i have learn a lot..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome,
Im 4 weeks into this forum, and eating low carb, it seems to be working for me, numbers starting to fall, but still high, from reading peoples stories, it will take some time,"I aways want this fix NOW", Its great being part of this group, Its the best support, and I think the only place for true information. welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much to everyone for making me feel welcome. Yes as a RN I can get up on my soap box and preach but unfortunately I didn't listen to my own advice. However, now I have this and time to deal with it. Bought me a new meter today took my first blood sugar and about fainted!!!! Why you ask??? Because it was 295!!:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello back at ya neighbor!!!! Yes I can get a little chatty too but better behave y'all might throw this newbie out!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yes as a RN I can get up on my soap box and preach but unfortunately I didn't listen to my own advice.
Hi, PedsRN. After being diagnosed, many of us have learned that what most medical professionals and dieticians tell us to eat, and the number of carbs they advise that we eat would keep our bg sky high. As Pat advised, I hope you will go to bloodsugar101 and do some reading. It was quite an eye-opening experience for me.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, PedsRN. After being diagnosed, many of us have learned that what most medical professionals and dieticians tell us to eat, and the number of carbs they advise that we eat would keep our bg sky high. As Pat advised, I hope you will go to bloodsugar101 and do some reading. It was quite an eye-opening experience for me.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks so much!!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Welcome, welcome PedsRN! If you had to find a group to share in your diabetes, I'm glad you found us! I love all the people I've met on this forum, and have gained so much insight into how a diabetic should eat, what we shouldn't eat, and that your meter is your lifeline and best friend. I've become so attached to my meter and I test alot. It is imperative to find what causes my ups and downs. I am finding out exactly how much carb I can still keep in my meals without spiking my bg's. I hope you will follow advice given here as it is golden for sure. I've recently gone back to using insulin because after giving my best effort to stay just on oral meds and diet and exercise, my pancreas just has had it and needed a rest. So, after reading on the forum I decided to join and see what these people who had gotten such great control of their diabetes did that I wasn't doing, and alot used a combination of basal/bolus insulin. I spoke to my endo about it and here I am. I'm having areas of great numbers, sometimes going low (which is surprising of what I can eat and still be in good shape) and sometimes going high and realizing there are things that my system just won't handle.
Good Luck with getting control, and please we are not the type to kick you out of the forum! If they have tolerated me so far, you will be just fine! :p By the way, I also have cholesterol and trig difficulties, so I'll be curious to see how they are at the end of November when I have my next blood work done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome, welcome PedsRN! If you had to find a group to share in your diabetes, I'm glad you found us! I love all the people I've met on this forum, and have gained so much insight into how a diabetic should eat, what we shouldn't eat, and that your meter is your lifeline and best friend. I've become so attached to my meter and I test alot. It is imperative to find what causes my ups and downs. I am finding out exactly how much carb I can still keep in my meals without spiking my bg's. I hope you will follow advice given here as it is golden for sure. I've recently gone back to using insulin because after giving my best effort to stay just on oral meds and diet and exercise, my pancreas just has had it and needed a rest. So, after reading on the forum I decided to join and see what these people who had gotten such great control of their diabetes did that I wasn't doing, and alot used a combination of basal/bolus insulin. I spoke to my endo about it and here I am. I'm having areas of great numbers, sometimes going low (which is surprising of what I can eat and still be in good shape) and sometimes going high and realizing there are things that my system just won't handle.
Good Luck with getting control, and please we are not the type to kick you out of the forum! If they have tolerated me so far, you will be just fine! :p By the way, I also have cholesterol and trig difficulties, so I'll be curious to see how they are at the end of November when I have my next blood work done.
Thanks so much for the Welcome~~~.....One thing I have learned is everyone reacts different to foods so I am starting that right now. I have to make a menu and stick to it so I won't be tempted to sway but I know I can do and really I don't have a choice I HAVE TOO!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, just want to say, when I went to my nutritionist after my diagnosis, I asked, what do all these numbers mean? I was told, don't worry about the numbers, just use portion control and you can eat anything! Well, I guess if I wanted to I could have listened to her. Instead I did alot of research and spent the next month or so testing everything I ate! There's alot of food I won't touch, and have no desire to eat, knowing how it effects me. So in 3 months I went from 12.5 to 5.8 A1C but had I taken her advice, never would have happened! You have to test everything until you know exactly what everything you eat does to you!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi, just want to say, when I went to my nutritionist after my diagnosis, I asked, what do all these numbers mean? I was told, don't worry about the numbers, just use portion control and you can eat anything! Well, I guess if I wanted to I could have listened to her. Instead I did alot of research and spent the next month or so testing everything I ate! There's alot of food I won't touch, and have no desire to eat, knowing how it effects me. So in 3 months I went from 12.5 to 5.8 A1C but had I taken her advice, never would have happened! You have to test everything until you know exactly what everything you eat does to you!
In a nutshell - EXACTLY!

That HbA1c shift is extremely well done - and shows the hard work you did over the period.

Well done. John

·
Banned
33 Posts
welcome aboard from New York, theres plenty of support,questions, and answers here. Good luck good health keep those carbs LOW..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts