The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and wanted to send a big, encouraging hello to everyone. I'm so glad that there's forums like this for people to learn, share, and connect with each other. I'm currently in school studying to be a naturopath, and have 2 dads (step and birth) who were both diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My step-father was diagnosed in December of '07 and within 3 months he was off all prescription meds. He was stubborn and chose the "I'll show my doctor a thing or two!" method ;) (Basically, that means he did everything "right"...exercise, no more Little Debbie snack cakes, etc.) My mom and I were both glad that something good finally came of that stubborn streak...lol. My birth father on the other hand refuses to make any changes at ALL. As a result, his health continues to decline which really saddens me :( but I try to offer as much love and support and encouragement as I'm able to. He lives in another state so it's harder to have a good influence on him. Thank you all for being open and sharing your stories! It's wonderful to be a part of this group :)

Blessings!
Holly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holly, are you here to get help for your Dads?
Hi Richard,

Yes, I'm here to get encouragement and ideas for how to help my birth father. I haven't been able to inspire him to make any changes in his diet or lifestyle, and as a result his health continues to decline. (He eats the worst of the worst foods and refuses to make any concessions whatsoever :( ). I also am here to share my step-father's story. He's a type 2 diabetic that was able to get off all medication through diet and exercise. I see so many people (like my birth father) who are suffering because they don't believe that they have the power to affect their condition. I'm in school studying to be a naturopath so for me this is also experience getting to know and understand how people are personally affected. When I'm finished with school (which won't be for a few years) I plan on treating the whole person, not just their symptoms. I'm passionate about helping people.

Thanks for asking! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello and Welcome Holly :D, We welcome you to get the answers and have fun with us. My father is a type 2 also and he said that he will beat this, Well he had to eat his words. I am a type 1 with a lot of experience and still get a lot of help here. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Peter!

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Lucky for my mother and I, my step-dad was able to beat his with diet and exercise...God forbid he EVER be proven wrong! :eek: ;) They say your best qualities can also be your worst qualities...and my dad's stubborness is the absolute proof in the pudding. ;) Right now I'm working on my birth father who is much less determined. He's stubborn in a completely different way! At least I finally got him to switch from sweet n low (which has toxic aspartame) to stevia for his tea and coffee. I'm not diabetic, but I personally use only stevia. It's an all natural sweetener that you can find in most health food stores. I love it! :)

Hello and Welcome Holly :D, We welcome you to get the answers and have fun with us. My father is a type 2 also and he said that he will beat this, Well he had to eat his words. I am a type 1 with a lot of experience and still get a lot of help here. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.