The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-my name is Karen and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Dec of 2009. I have been checking my bg several times a day and am currently taking Metformin. I am struggling...my blood sugar levels are averaging about 180 daily and I could use some advice on getting those numbers down. I am following a dietician plan with how many carbs per meal i can eat and am trying to get at least 30 min. of exercise in daily. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I was told to try Milk Thistle to cleanse my liver...any thoughts on that?

Thank you...have a great day!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi-my name is Karen and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Dec of 2009. I have been checking my bg several times a day and am currently taking Metformin. I am struggling...my blood sugar levels are averaging about 180 daily and I could use some advice on getting those numbers down. I am following a dietician plan with how many carbs per meal i can eat and am trying to get at least 30 min. of exercise in daily. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I was told to try Milk Thistle to cleanse my liver...any thoughts on that?

Thank you...have a great day!
I take milk thistle twice a day. I started it when my liver enzymes were a bit a high, and they are all normal now. I keep taking it because I have read some studies that it is supposed to help with blood glucose control. I dont know if its true or not.....but I am in really good control now and it isnt hurting me to take it....so why rock the boat? :)

If you are having trouble with your BG control you may be getting too many carbs for your body to handle. How many are taking in a day? I know that the dietician gave you a plan, but sometimes your body just cant take that much. Also, could be that you have gotten to a point where metformin alone is not going to be enough for you. Try lowering your carbs if you can, and if you are still having issues I would certainly take your logs of blood sugars (fasting and around meals) to your doc and see what needs to be done. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am not an MD... but my BG would be that high if I followed the dietitians advice. I have to eat a very low carb diet.

how many carbs something has, is one thing
how fast those carbs turn to sugars in our body is something else.
The Glycemic index is about how fast carbs turn to sugars
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Coming in a little late today, Karen, but want to hollar in and welcome you to Diabetes Forum. There's a wealth of knowledge, experience & wisdom here . . . I hope you'll be glad you found us. :)

take care and hurry back!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts