The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the forum I was not diagnosed wtih diabetes or prediabetes. My AIC is 6.2 my finger stick blood sugars are between 88-94. My doctor was concerned about my family history and my wt I am 5'6'' and 195 lbs, so she started me on Metformin 1000mg at dinner. It took me three days to take the medicine I felt "why am I taking this I am not diabetic". But I gave in and now it has been a few weeks.So far only stomach discomfort and no diarrhea (wished I did stay constipated).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Metformin is frequently prescribed to expedite weight loss when insulin resistance is involved. It is my understanding it takes about a month to build up in the body. Then many people report it does make losing weight a lot easier.

An A1c of 6.2 is associated with, over about three months, an average BG of 131 mg/dl. When were the finger pricks that tested 88 - 94 taken? Are those fasting?

That is, I believe, in what is called prediabetes range. (Many of us do not understand the purpose of prediabetes: it is a lower average than 'diabetes', but it still means the body has trouble processing BG effectively.)

I encourage you to do some reading on BloodSugar101. And consider getting an inexpensive BG test kit at Walmart then testing eat to your meter style (see the How To Lower Your Blood Sugar section on BS101 for an explanation of this testing protocol).

Just to be sure you really are only dealing with insulin resistance.

Reactions: margilowry

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Whilst your blood glucose tests are returning a nice respectable figure of a low 90, you HbA1c suggests that your overall average blood sugar is around 130 and that you are probably spiking significantly above that:(. Do you test your blood sugar after meals, 'cause that where we'll see the real picture. This link describes the concept of eating to the meter - worth a look. http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes/10209-useful-links.html#post131687

You do have a blood glucose meter, don't you?

Anyway, full marks to your doctor suggesting that now was the time to take control rather than waiting for a visit to the ER like I did :eek:.

Losing weight is helpful, but I have a lot of sympathy with the concept that weight gain does cause diabetes, but is a symptom of it. You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes.

In the same way, I think controlling your blood sugar is the first step that we need to take, and that weight loss will generally follow without getting too wound up in starvation diets.

Now, we do need to look at what we are eating - note, I said "what", not "how much". The trick that worked for me, and many of the other members of the forum was to cut back on the carbohydrate content of our meals and to top up the missing energy with good healthy fats.
When I started on this way of eating I found, amongst other things that my issues with constipation disappeared.:)

Have a look here - LCHF for Beginners - DietDoctor.com

As you've seen, I posted a couple of useful links to elaborate the concept and for a full discussion of diabetes, including information on symptoms and medications, have a look at Blood Sugar 101

On the forum you'll find a friendly bunch of nosy parkers happy to help and offer ideas that have worked for them. Explore the place and ask anything that is puzzling you.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome Phine,

I won't add to the excellent information and advice already given, but wanted to welcome you to the forum - which IMHO is the best place for sound advice and good support for all things diabetes.

You are in an excellent place right now to take charge of your health through a little change in your diet. If you should choose to adopt a low-carb/high-fat way of eating you may find in not too short of time that other health issues you were only vaguely aware of will give way leaving you with truly good health. That has happened to those who keep their BG well down near normal levels.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Welcome to the forum phine2.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Welcome phine2! I don't have much else to add to the great advice and links you have already been given. Please do spend lots of time reading all of them, they are full of invaluable information for getting/maintaining control.

Again, welcome and best of luck to you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there!

Welcome to the best lil' forum on the Internet. There are wonderful, knowledgeable people here who can answer almost any question you have!

I was diagnosed as "hypoglycemic" in the late '90s and "prediabetic" in 2012. I was not given my labs and I was not smart enough to ask for them back then. I have a strong family history and apparently, have always had problems with glucose.

Once I got here to this forum, my thinking shifted from "I'm not diabetic yet," to "I'm already there -- time to manage it so it doesn't get worse." I have just been prescribed metformin myself, so I have no personal proof but I'm hoping it will help with my insulin resistance enough to help me lose the weight I need to. Together with a LC/HF diet, I think that might just be my ticket to success -- finally. I hope it is for you, too.

Again, welcome! If you have questions -- ask! :)

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Hello phine!

Can't add to the advice given so just saying welcome

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We've got many knowledgable people with lots of experiences so surely someone can either offer suggestions or guide you to a place that can.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think "this can't be happening" is a normal and nature way we humans adapt to unpleasant change. The trick is to move beyond it. By coming here, by deciding to take the metformin, you took a big step forward. Congratulations!

I encourage you to read the wonderful links everyone provided. And, if you do not have a BG testing kit, get one. Then start eat-to-your-meter testing. Moving beyond feeling out of control into "I can handle this" helps a whole lot!

Ask questions. Join our discussions. The world wobbled, but it is still spinning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts