The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is William (Liam) and I've been a diabetic for about seven years now. I'm 47 years old and I'd have to confess that I've not been taking good care of things. Call it fear or laziness, or what have you, but another problem is that I haven't been able to afford meds for the longest time. Even now that proves a problem.

Currently I'm taking Humalog before each meal and I'm taking Metformin twice a day but soon that will run out and I have no medical insurance at this time. I came here to find community, something I admit I should have done long ago. I guess denial is done finally and I realize my predicament. I've lost a lot of weight, over time from being slightly overweight to being very skinny now. I've also noticed some numbness on the tops of my feet and along my calves starting.

Here I am, friends. And hopefully here for some time. It is my hope to join this fine community, find friends, and finally learn more about a condition that, despite my best and rather immature efforts has failed to go away. I suppose we all have that denial, I guess. Anyway, take care all and enjoy your day/evening.

And thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Liam - welcome aboard. Glad you're here, glad you've decided to be proactive - the best time to do that is always now :)

I'm not on insulin so don't know the economics of it, or resource possibilities, but certainly metformin is cheap. Grocery store pharmacies, drug stores, and the Walmart-type stores often offer generics for $3-5/prescription.

You didn't say anything about your blood sugar numbers or what your typical diet is, but you will be able to gain a lot of control through severely reining in your carbohydrate consumption. Many people report improvement in their neuropathy once their blood sugar is under control.

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice to meet you Liam!

I'm not in the US (just a lowly Australian) so I cannot offer you any advice on the metformin/health insurance front....what I can tell you is that I have found this forum more informative than any doctor I have seen in the last year...

You're right to come and join in....The mods and regulars are in the trenches with this disease day in and day out and I'm sure you'll fit right in :)

Congratulations on all the hard work you've done so far...the forum will set you to rights and get you managing your way along again in no time at all!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Liam. As a diabetic you need to take care of your health because no one else will. Many places have metformin for $4 a month. Actually my pharmacy, Giant offers it for free. For your insulin check out the individual Insulin companies. Many have programs where they offer free or reduced price insulin based on income. Sometimes doctors offices or clinics will also give you samples if you need it. Also as said above carb drive your bgs higher. Control your carbs and you can help your bgs go lower.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you for joining us, Liam. I hope you'll find as much support & wisdom here as I have found. You've already gotten a healthy serving of good advice and I agree with everything they've told you, so I won't bore you with repetition! ;)

(And YOU, TiggleTaggle . . . just because you're Down Under, doesn't make you "lowly"! :D :D :D)

·
Registered
90 Posts
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Reactions: Shanny
G

·
welcome Liam :) glad you found the forum... I'm sure you will find it a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to say thank you for all of the kind replies. Already I feel a sense of community and I'm glad I finally found people I can talk to for needed support, especially at this time. Thank you for the advice you've given me and I hope that in time I can be supportive as well and do my part to help in this community.

:)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! I hope you visit us often!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts